R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG C12 with dull sounding capsule  (Read 13990 times)

Warren Huck

Re: AKG C12 with dull sounding capsule
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 12:26:02 AM »

Hi all,

The last instalment of this story. I fitted the alternative capsule but it turned out to be worse than the original. It sounded fine but bottomed out on both diaphragms if I sang loudly into it. I re-fitted the original capsule but rotated it 180 degrees. It sounds fairly good here but is now a one pattern microphone. The rear still works but is dull.

I have now suggested to the client that he gets the alternative capsule re-skinned sometime. That way he can change back to the original capsule if it is found to be better for any reason.

I dont know how the serial numbers work on these microphones, this one is marked as C12, No 77 Does this make it number 77 off the production line ? Its a bit of audio history regardless.

Regards, Warren Huck
Regards, Warren Huck

klaus

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 02:12:04 AM »

Just "77"? Can you post a picture of the serial number? Sounds suspicious to me.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Warren Huck

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 07:36:01 PM »

Hi Klause,
Here are a couple of photos
Regards, Warren
Regards, Warren Huck

Warren Huck

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »

Here is the photo I meant to send
Regards, Warren Huck

klaus

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 12:57:50 AM »

That is truly original serial number engraving- all the way to the tiny numbers that precede stamping in the big numbers
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Warren Huck

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 02:43:26 AM »

Hi Klaus,

Would that make it number 77 off the assembly line or do the numbers work another way ?

This mic has suffered in its lifetime, some screws are missing, holes mangled, very crude engraving etc, but the owner reports that people really love using it.

This particular client has quite a few classic microphones, many of them look a little road worn, probably from previous owners.

Regards, Warren
Regards, Warren Huck

klaus

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »

Over the years, no one I have talked to at AKG seems to have a grip on serial number logic or correlation with dates. All we know is that, usually, lower serial numbers indicate an earlier manufacture. But neither the sequential nature of these numbers has ever been confirmed, nor has there supposedly (and incredibly) ever been any documentation kept at AKG as to when a particular mic with a specific serial number was made or left the factory. To me, that's pretty hard to swallow, given that companies need to inventory stock, at least once a year, for tax purposes.

That being said, there are plenty of build features of, say, a C12 that make identifying its year of manufacture pretty easy.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 24 queries.