R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep Your Garbage! I'd Rather Go Fishing.  (Read 4013 times)

klaus

Keep Your Garbage! I'd Rather Go Fishing.
« on: June 15, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »

After lots of discussions on this forum lately about minutiae like heater voltages, U47 head basket dimples, and other micro-topics, here now a refreshing and challenging perspective from a world-reknown artist and recording industry veteran on some larger issues facing our industry.
(The interview was given to a German news daily a couple of weeks ago, and translated by me.)

On production quality of current recordings, and why the artist chose to go "unpolished" on the latest album:
"These days everyone can make an album, even a lapdog could do it. That's why there is no reason to deliver the same polished garbage like all the rest. It only distracts from what's really relevant.  Pop has deteriorated to being background wallpaper, to peel potatoes or do crossword puzzles by."

On release formats:
"I am issuing the new album as either vinyl or Blue Ray, because these are the only two uncompressed release formats. All other formats only deliver a fraction of the musical data:  CDs 15%, MP3 5%. It's not the illegal downloads that threaten the industry, but the technical quality of the product. These (low res) release formats ruin the listening experience.
Anyone with two healthy ears will have to say: 'I'm not going to be part of this. Keep your garbage, I'd rather go fishing."

On the future of albums:
"I am trying to shake things up, because the labels are not getting active. If they are not going to invest any money into new technologies, people will soon stop buying albums altogether, because they can download the music from the internet."

On music downloads:
That's the irony: even though you can find anything on the internet now, it simply sounds like shit: dispensable data garbage. That's why I recommend to buy my new album in vinyl or Blue Ray. Only then can you really hear what I am doing."

Honorable mention to the first person who can correctly guess who spoke these words.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Will Russell

Re: Keep Your Garbage! I'd Rather Go Fishing.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »

Neil Young

Kai

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »

Neil Young
My tip too, he'd been a hater of CD, say digital, from day one, how bad MP3 must sound to him!

Regards
Kai

Jim Williams

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »

Neil needs to be careful what he asks for.

Higher resolution audio for low fi rock?

That way we can better hear the nodes in his voice and the mistakes he makes on guitar. Don't forget the background buzz from those P-90 pickups he uses.

Like a soap opera actress, you don't want to look too close.

Piedpiper

• Real Full Name: Tim Britton
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:39:10 AM »

I'm guessing Neil is pretty fond of all them warts... vulnerability moves hearts...
row row row your boat...

Pied Piper Productions

halocline

• Real Full Name: Matt Dunne
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 01:44:39 PM »

I really do prefer vinyl to CDs, but Neil Young complaining about the state of audio is a bit like a 20 handicap golfer complaining about his carbon fiber clubs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.