R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG CK63 Capsule: Reduced Sensitivity - Cleaning Advised?  (Read 3259 times)

hiddevdl

• Real Full Name: hidde van der lijn
AKG CK63 Capsule: Reduced Sensitivity - Cleaning Advised?
« on: May 10, 2012, 02:24:05 PM »

Hi,
I have bought a second-hand CK63 capsule but unfortunately it has a significantly reduced sensitivity.

Repairing it is more or less the same price as a new capsule, so I'm gonna try to clean it first.
I have opened the capsule and there appears to be a small foam pad wedged between the coils of the gold plated spring that is attached to the diaphragm. This foam is starting to disintegrate.

Does anybody know if removing it has any effect on the the functioning of the mic? And if so, is there a way to replace it with something similar?

Thanks,
Hidde

klaus

Re: cleaning an akg ck63 capsule due to reduced sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »

Could you post a close up picture? (Macro setting on your camera would help. Cellphone will probably not be helpful.)

Thanks.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

hiddevdl

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

---------------
I've found a parts list online, it's part 6.
thanks,
hidde

klaus

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »

The spring connectors AKG used on this and other SD capsules are notoriously unreliable in their contact ability over time.

Remove the spring, thoroughly apply Caig Pro Gold with a cotton swab, stretch the spring a bit (for better pressure at the two contact points), make sure that the foam is not wedged between the contact points, lubricate the screw-in thread at the capsule head with Pro Gold as well, and please report back.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

hiddevdl

Re: AKG CK63 Capsule: Reduced Sensitivity - Cleaning Advised?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »

Hi Klaus,

I've followed your instructions (it took me a while, I had to order a tube of proGold) and the sound has improved a lot. Though I don't really have a scientific way of measuring it and no real frame of reference from either equipment or experience. I only have a CK 61 cardioid capsule on the same pre-amp (C460 B), so to compare I have to turn everything off change capsules and test again.

Anyways, thank you very much,
Hidde
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.