R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plextor Drive Source?  (Read 2578 times)

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
Plextor Drive Source?
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »

I haven't had many requests for physical CDs, but when I did I'd been burning them with the no-brand DVD-RW drive that came with my PC. However, one of the discs was returned by the pressing plant for having too many errors.

I'd never worried too much about it before, but have recently received more requests for physical master CDs. As such, I'd like to source a decent Plextor writer, so that I'd be able to use PlexTools to check the discs before sending them out.

During my research, I've heard that there are "good old" Plextor drives, and "crappy new" ones. It also seems like the good ones are no longer being manufactured.

What were the model numbers of the good ones? Does anyone have a source for one of the "good" drives? I'd prefer new, as opposed to re-conditoned/second-hand if possible. I've seen a few places selling refurbished/re-certified units, for example here:

https://www.esaitech.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=18329&czuid=1276952227570

but I think that sounds a bit risky. What do you reckon? Are none of the easily available new models any good?

Does anyone who is receiving less and less requests for physical CD masters, have a stockpile of the good Plextors, including one they might consider selling to me?

Thanks,

Gregg

Jerry Tubb

• Real Full Name: Jerry Tubb
Re: Plextor Drive Source?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »

Hey Gregg,
we're still burning lots of CD refs and master for clients, the demand is still there.
About once every few months I scan eB*y for NOS (or slightly used) Premium and 700 series drives.
Usually end up pay between 100-200 USD for a NOS 716 or Premium.
Just bought one this weekend in fact.
A bit like rolling the dice, sometimes they work, sometimes not, sometimes you need to "refresh" the firmware, which can still be found online, well worth the effort.

But its getting pretty dicey at this point, not many NOS drives left out there.

I may resort to reserving our PX drives for testing in the not too distant future.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 25 years of Mastering!

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:28:07 PM »

I have purchased Plextor drives from this company before http://www.cheeverind.com/PX-760A.html
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:47:58 AM »

Thanks for the info, I will try and get one from the link above!

[EDIT] It costs $95, but they want at least $141.31 for shipping to Milan, so I don't think I'll be going there.

lowland

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:55:00 AM »

[EDIT] It costs $95, but they want at least $141.31 for shipping to Milan, so I don't think I'll be going there.

Perhaps one of the fine US colleagues on this very board would help if asked nicely - internal shipping to them, they send it to you at cost?
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 16 queries.