R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speakers on Wall brackets  (Read 8471 times)

luddienut

• Real Full Name: Tommy McEwan
Speakers on Wall brackets
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »

Hi ,first let me say i love this community ,it seems free of the 'this is my gear and everything else sucks' type of criticism .My Question is ,as space is limited in my little room i would like to put my monitors on  adjustable wall  speaker brackets. is this viable?. or will it affect the bottom end too much. I seem to remember being in a tracking studio once where they did this.

jaykadis

• R/E/P Forums
Re: Speakers on Wall brackets
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »

I have been using some wall-mount video stands for a pair of K-ROKs in a 10' x 10' room.  The speakers are about 8" out from the wall.  They seem to work fine even though they don't have adjustment for 1/2 space EQ.  The rest of the room has been treated acoustically somewhat, but the bass doesn't seem to be a problem even though they're close to the wall.

luddienut

• Real Full Name: Tommy McEwan
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »

Cheers.I will be in a similar sized room, (although we say it in metres!). I just think it would be the same as putting them on stands anyhow. trying to save floor space.

faarisuman

• Real Full Name: faarisuman
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:24:30 AM »

Get on the short wall side. Do NOT butt up against the wall... I suggest no LESS than 4 feet away from the wall. If you put your desk & speakers up against the wall you insure that you will NEVER, EVER get the bass correct. Use a bass trap between the desk & the wall & you may need something in the corners as well.
You can easily check out our best quality ccna security exam dumps prepare you well for the real ccna pdf You can also get success in real exam of ccna exam with the quality www.goucher.edu questions and microsoft training Bentley University

Randyman...

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 06:04:39 PM »

WRT faarisuman's 4 foot off the wall suggestion:

Genelec begs to differ with regard to un-avoidable 1/4 wavelength SBIR:

http://www.genelec.com/tech-tips/tech-tips-archive/1241-wall-behind-the-loudspeaker-cancellation-tip-1/

http://www.genelec.com/tech-tips/tech-tips-archive/1242-placing-free-standing-loudspeakers-tip-2/

Makes sense to me - and unless you have a stupidly large room, then you are probably doing more harm than good by moving speakers away from the front wall.  The lower your speakers reach in the bass, the further you'll need to space them from the front wall or suffer severe SBIR at the 1/4 wavelength (becomes impractical very quickly if your speakers have descent low-end response).

Additionally (a little related tangent), GIK recommends speaker face to front wall, driver centers to side wall, and driver center to floor are 3 different dimensions in order to not reinforce any specific set of harmonics by having all the boundaries generate the same SBIR effect:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/speaker-boundary-interference-response-sbir/

This is never an issue for me as my rooms are always way too small to even think about significant spacing off the front wall :( (I'm generally as close to the front wall as possible).

I'm sure there are other rationales for spacing a significant distance off the front wall, but SBIR effects in the low-end will rear their ugly head in most situations I could see...
Randy Visentine
Semi-Pro Engineer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 20 queries.