R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dave McNair Interview  (Read 4747 times)

adamgonsa

Dave McNair Interview
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »

There's a really god (IMO) long-format interview with Dave McNair today on the podcast I do.  For folks who check both here and GS, sorry for the mirroring. 

I think my favorite part is when he's discussing his days tracking/mixing in L.A. where he'd be bummed out if the  Neve or API console he was working on wasn't completely rebuilt or modded.  Or if a specific tape formulation or vintage German tube mic was unavailable.

Working in the 80s must have been nice.
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

djwaudio

• Real Full Name: Dana J White
Re: Dave McNair Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 01:59:34 AM »

Nice one, Adam!  Yes, all the excesses of the 80s... then he cut an amazing record on the Tascam rig...
Respectfully submitted,

Dana J White
Specialized Mastering
www.specializedmastering.com

Allen Corneau

• Real Full Name: Allen Corneau
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:20:47 AM »

Dave's story is very interesting and the interview was great.

Adam: I don't think there's any need to edit out anyone's "colorful" language in any of the interviews. Let them say what they want to say!
Allen
=====
Allen Corneau Mastering
http://allencorneau.com/

adamgonsa

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »

Adam: I don't think there's any need to edit out anyone's "colorful" language in any of the interviews. Let them say what they want to say!
To clarify I never ask anyone to not say anything, I just edit out some stuff out. At this point I may stop editing so heavily.

The reason I began is because I got much more feedback from the first two episodes about language than I ever would have expected.  The criticisms ranged from: 'you sound unprofessional', to [basically] 'it bums me out please don't do it'.  Feedback came from anonymous folks as well as a couple of people whose names I knew and respected.  I didn't want something that is such a non-issue to me (Say whatever you want! Who cares?!) to become an impediment to listeners. 

When I talked to Garrett he said the same thing happened with early issues of TapeOp, and that some people just stop listening once a curse word enters the conversation.  But a podcast isn't print & I have to maintain the continuity of the conversation to make it listenable.

I appreciate that avoiding 'colorful language' in media is important to some people, but some interviewees sound ridiculous being that heavily edited.  Since this isn't radio I don't want to ask anyone to censor themselves at all. 

I think my position is evolving from "I don't want to alienate anyone" to "If a little cussing stops you from listening to an interview with Dave McNair...well...I hope you catch the next episode."
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

Cass Anawaty

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 10:43:53 AM »

I swear like a Marine, but not in a professional setting.  You just never know where someone might be listening...children in the room and such.

But in the end, it's your show.   ;)

Good work.
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Bonati

• Real Full Name: Josh Bonati
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »

Since this isn't TV or radio and you won't be fined by the FCC, just don't worry about it. Isn't that great? You don't have to care. The person's real voice can come through uncensored. We're adults and we can handle adult language. There's no need to worry about "the children".

Keep it up man.

Cass Anawaty

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »

Since this isn't TV or radio and you won't be fined by the FCC, just don't worry about it. Isn't that great? You don't have to care. The person's real voice can come through uncensored. We're adults and we can handle adult language. There's no need to worry about "the children".

Keep it up man.
Hell, yeah!  It's all about what you can get away with, lol.
Cass Anawaty, Mastering Engineer
www.sunbreakmusic.com

bblackwood

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »

I swear like a Marine, but not in a professional setting.  You just never know where someone might be listening...children in the room and such.

But in the end, it's your show.   ;)
My feelings as well. I can't listen during the day - too busy working. When I'm home I want to be around my kids.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jdg

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »

*$%^ you guys
John McCaig
-the caption captain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.