R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Studio Lighting  (Read 12143 times)

Spindrift

Suggestions for Studio Lighting
« on: January 24, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »

I have a new space which is around 1000 sqft (all open, control-room in tracking area) and is lit by florescents. They are fugly and buzz terribly. My plan is to use alternative lighting sources such as some inexpensive tree-stands with colored lights and dimmers to set mood for artists and then some incandescent lighting for the other areas.

I'm worried about the dimmer packs inducing EMI into the recording rig and was wondering how others have handled their lighting situation.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Keith

Spindrift

Re: Suggestions for Studio Lighting
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:32:12 PM »

A pic of the untreated space.

index.php/fa/16196/0/

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:58:12 PM »

Use Variacs for dimmers.  Use halogens for bulbs.   Keep the lights on a completely different circuit that the gear.  

Unless you do some major construction, lighting is going to be the least of your problems.  Your monitoring environment is going to be your biggest headache.  No way you can properly listen in a room like that, with those dimensions and surfaces.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Spindrift

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 11:58

Use Unless you do some major construction, lighting is going to be the least of your problems.  Your monitoring environment is going to be your biggest headache.  No way you can properly listen in a room like that, with those dimensions and surfaces.  

The story of my life. I'm working with an acoustician on the dimensions/treatment...but yes...it is an issue. Here's the fuzzmeasure sine-wave sweep measurements. Notice that nice bass bump between 50-100....totally audible and driving me batty.

Dims:  14' H X 49' L X 21' W

Thanks for the lighting tips.

index.php/fa/16197/0/

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:40:47 PM »

Keith, are you allowed to modify this space?

Is the electric for the fluorescent fixtures running through conduit along the ceiling?
If so I would suggest halogen track lighting on a "dimmer". Lots of different types of track lighting these days, many options.

What is the ceiling made of?
Philip

Jay Kadis

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 04:47:01 PM »

I would look into LED lighting.  It's dimmable and the HVAC system would thank you.  We have an old incandescent track lighting system with the tracks on relays.  No hum but what a pain when the relays go out, plus the dimming is quantized.

Spindrift

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »

Yes, I'm allowed to mod it. I'm paying $300/mo so its cheap! And I'm trying to save to build my actual permanent facility in a year or two so I'd like to NOT dump huge unrecoupable cash into this space. Gobos and other panels, movable and reusable!  And I can always sell off the R-30 insulation bass trap rolls on craigslist.

Berolzheimer

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »

Get some good, high - iso headphones for tracking, & mix somewhere else!

Oh, this thread was about lighting, wasn't it...
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Spindrift

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »

It's a free-flowing thread Wink  Got the lighting issue licked I think.

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »

It's kinda hard to tell what the space actually offers as far as lighting, but...

If you don't want to do anything like removing the existing fluorescents, you can "drape" thin, fire safe fabrics from the ceiling, over the fixtures (leaving sufficient space) which work well providing you find a suitable material.

You can make a quilted, pillow-like pattern and additionally hang  some well placed acoustic clouds to make for a nice space.

Add floor lamps to taste.

I have done this in rehearsal spaces to satisfying and safe results.
Philip

Spindrift

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »

I have created a new thread for the acoustical issues over in the Acoustics in Motion forum.

Thanks,
Keith

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »

There are more and more led options coming on the market every day.
The big box building stores now have a much better selection, at least here in Canada.
Go on line and check what's available.
I've been using leds for a couple of years already.
The savings in electricity is amazing, compared with regular incandescent bulbs and the buzz of flourescents.
Many leds will work with dimmers and they also come in several colours.
Yes, they are more expensive initially but the savings on power and heat are well worth it.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

J.J. Blair

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:13:57 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 13:47

I would look into LED lighting.  It's dimmable and the HVAC system would thank you.  We have an old incandescent track lighting system with the tracks on relays.  No hum but what a pain when the relays go out, plus the dimming is quantized.

Can you dim LEDs?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

ktownson

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 09:18:05 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 16:47

We just put some LED theatrical lighting in our worship space, and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised. Each fixture has RGB light sources, so with a DMX board you can get any color you want for just the right mood.

Best of all, they're cool--they don't heat up at all. And they're inexpensive.  At least on our system, the dimming is quantized, which makes for a weird fade, but still very usable.
"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

0dbfs

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »

Yes, you can dim LED's. Nice panels are expensive. Track lights are cheap. Don't get track lights with the built-in transformers. They physically hum when you dim them.

I wouldn't go with floor standing lights if you can help it because space is always at a premium and they add more cable mess to the floor area.

A couple of the 8ft home-depot track lights with 25W incandescent's on a dimmer are fairly inexpensive, out of the way, and quiet. If you are looking to spend more you can do better.

Cheers,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

Jay Kadis

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 09:54:21 PM »

Track lights are susceptible to mechanical vibration, at least the cans we have.  We had to epoxy the internal wiring to keep it from buzzing on low bass notes.   (One track has a mouse pad jammed in to stop rattling.)   But they are cheap especially if this isn't a permanent room.

jwhynot

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 12:50:03 AM »

I like to have 2 different sets of lights - working lights, which are akin to what I have in my living room.  And "working lights" or more properly "cleaning/technical work" lights - bright enough to land a 747.

With that in mind - I find I can often just leave the fluorescent fixtures where they are, treat the area around them to absorb light (depending on the situation, either paint it dark or hang something up there that's dark) - then the living room style lights can leave enough shadow up there that the ugly fixtures are not bothersome.

Then, when it's time to pick up/clean up/run cables I can put the ugly lights on long enough to get the job done.

2 levels of lighting works like a bastard for me.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »

I'd look seriously into LEDs because incandescents are rapidly going away much like CRT TV sets did.

Spindrift

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 06:55:18 PM »

Yes, it looks like LEDs are the way to go at this point. I don't really care about the actual dimming during the fade as I'd likely set them and leave them or adjust them rarely to different moods.

Fiasco makes a great suggestion with the addition of some large swaths of fire-safe material (muslin?) which you could spot-light and use some indirect lighting to good effect (or is it affect?).

The end goal would be the artist's inspiration when walking into a space such as this....and how to do it w/o breaking the bank.

I appreciate all the input.
Keith

jpaul_bordon

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »

Yeah, go DC led's everywhere.  I also picked up some old HP "Boat Anchor"  power supplies cheap and ran 12v and 9v all over the studio. Saved a fortune on batteries for stomp/headphone boxes and there was never any hum associated with those Wall Warts that lucifer himself designed.  You might try RV lighting searches?

Spindrift

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »

Why is it that when I stand in LED lighting, it feels as if I'm listening to a black-faced ADAT in 1992?

svs95

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »

I can't believe we're giving up tubes for solid state. AGAIN!

Shocked    Laughing
Stephen Smith
Soundsmiths Mastering, Inc.
www.soundsmiths.net

0dbfs

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »

Why is it that when I stand in LED lighting, it feels as if I'm listening to a black-faced ADAT in 1992?

Yes that is sort of what it feels like depending on the color temp of the fixture.

BUT... They do have correction, theatrical, and effect gels which can provide relief.

Cheers,
jonathan
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

Jim Williams

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »

Artificial light looks, well, artificial.

I have a solartube installed in my controI room. It allows natural light to fill the entire room so I don't need electric lights as long as the sun is up.

Along with lots of high windows, this place is flooded with San Diego sunshine, 300+ days a year.

Nothing makes a creative space more sterile than artificial light.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 16 queries.