R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to expand the set list  (Read 16055 times)

Tom L

Time to expand the set list
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20028766-503543.html

January 18, 2011 12:58 PM

Musicians Killed after Refusing to Play Longer

After members of the band La Excelencia in Guadalajara, Mexico refused to play more songs after closing time, irate members of the audience killed two members of the band and detonated a grenade inside the bar, Vida Divina, according to Mexican newspaper El Occidental.

A 26-year-old woman attending the concert was also shot and injured.

According to El Occidental, four drunk men aggressively demanded the band play more after their set ended - and they did - for a while. After they stopped around 4 a.m. local time Monday morning, one of the men threw a grenade at the stage, and people ran out of the bar. As they did, two of the band members were shot.

The victims were identified as Jonathan Jimenez, 22, the leader of the band, and Gustavo Alejandro, 35. Others were also injured in the explosion.

The shooters fled, and investigators said there is little information to go on because no one saw the vehicle that they used to leave.

Gun violence has risen in Mexico in recent years. According to the Associated Press, drug cartel turf battles around the country have left more than 30,000 people dead since December 2006.

Bubba#$%Kron

Re: Time to expand the set list
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:49:09 PM »

As a person who loves Mexico and has lived on the border my entire life, their culture has always played a major role with me, Ive always convinced myself that the violence is not in my realm- I even spent 3 weeks in mexico city/surrounding areas last year just for the tacos and Diego Rivera/Frida Chalo murals ( and the ladies ofcourse).  Now I'm seriously starting to get scared of that place.

That shit about the band is ridiculous and horrifying!!!  Wow!!!

People dont realize that Mexico is actually the 14th richest country in the world, there is a lot money down there!  But they dont have the social infrastructure to handle it and these huge cartels gain real power from real money!!!  

Thanks for posting that!!

cheers
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Tidewater

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:42:42 PM »

This is just another good reason to stay home, and read about life on the internet.
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »

Tidewater wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 16:42

This is just another good reason to stay home, and read about life on the internet.

Just as long as no one uses illegal drugs while doing so...
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »

I own a ranch in the State of Mexico.

A neighbor two ranches across from me, had his entryways hut destroyed by drug planters, and then these people tried to take over the ranch.
They did shoot and kill the ranch's caretaker.
Now we have Federales all over the region, and apparently the drug planters have left.

This was apparently because the ranch is not being used much, and has a good amount of clean clear land to use for crop planting.

My issue is really about how the government is so in bed with the drug lords that it is virtually impossible to get rid of them legally. Illegally though, well... anything goes.

I'm glad I know some Army people. With Big Guns. I hope I do not have to call on them.

My ranch hand is always armed, and was trained by an army friend of my dad's a long time ago. So was I for that matter.

I do find the comments from Americans here in the Us, and other people from other countries which do not have a long history of lawlessness. Most comments are along the lines of "oh, boo hoo, how violent" instead of any sort of realization about why the violence is there.

Again, as before, I condemn all persons that use illegal drugs, especially in the US, since they are the root of the problem.

Cheers
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Jay Kadis

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »

Nick Sevilla wrote on Wed, 09 February 2011 18:02

Again, as before, I condemn all persons that use illegal drugs, especially in the US, since they are the root of the problem.

Cheers
Not so fast: we have plenty of domestic production.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Thu, 10 February 2011 09:33

Nick Sevilla wrote on Wed, 09 February 2011 18:02

Cheers
Not so fast: we have plenty of domestic production.

Alas, not enough to slow down the importation of said illegal drugs...

www.nicksevilla.com

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »

where'd they get those guns?

\bab

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 11:31:38 PM »

Whats wrong with illegal drugs?? It seems the crazy laws here are the real problem!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Berolzheimer

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 02:56:42 AM »

Bubba#$%Kron wrote on Thu, 10 February 2011 20:31

Whats wrong with illegal drugs?? It seems the crazy laws here are the real problem!!

I have to agree.  The black market is the problem, not the drugs.  If they were legal & regulated the black market problem would go away.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 10 February 2011 18:13

where'd they get those guns?

\bab

American and European gun dealers...

If you ever go to a big gun show here in the States, you can find out it is very easy to circumvent any laws to buy what gun you need.

www.nicksevilla.com

DarinK

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 06:48:33 PM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Thu, 10 February 2011 23:56

I have to agree.  The black market is the problem, not the drugs.  If they were legal & regulated the black market problem would go away.

Absolutely.

BUT until the "crazy laws" are corrected, the use of illegal drugs is the cause of tremendous amounts of violence (primarily in Mexico & South America, but also in the U.S.) and environmental destruction (in many far Northern California national forests, and other places).

I don't use any drugs (really) but apparently it's easy for folks to grow their own small amounts for personal use, if desired.  Back in the 70's an uncle of mine had a small plant in his back yard just for the heck of it; he always said he actually preferred a good cigar.

In any case, I do believe people should be able to do what they want if they're not hurting others. It's good to have an awareness of the consequences of your choices.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:01 PM »

So you avoid anything that has to do with the USA(even this forum) because of the 100,000 civillian deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq ??

Thats a bit of a stretch.    I think it has more to do with the latin countries being too into having fun and making good food, they just dont have the control freak Euro attitude of keeping everything in line and working really hard at it.  They are responsible for policing their own countries, you can not make this giant stupid connection of a person doing a line of blow at a party, and a murder happening half way around the world.     Why are'nt you guys lobbying Obama to send troops down there?

And the Parts in your musical gear are never made at sweat shops??

Are you guys commys??Wink

Who says anyone is dying in the countries it originates?  How many families would be in poverty if not employed on coca farms?

Your gonna let a Human man tell you what you can take from your own earth??

Have you guys ever done LSD and listened to music??  WTF??

cheers

DarinK wrote on Fri, 11 February 2011 15:48

Berolzheimer wrote on Thu, 10 February 2011 23:56

Absolutely.

BUT until the "crazy laws" are corrected, the use of illegal drugs is the cause of tremendous amounts of violence (primarily in Mexico & South America, but also in the U.S.) and environmental destruction (in many far Northern California national forests, and other places).

I don't use any drugs (really) but apparently it's easy for folks to grow their own small amounts for personal use, if desired.  Back in the 70's an uncle of mine had a small plant in his back yard just for the heck of it; he always said he actually preferred a good cigar.

In any case, I do believe people should be able to do what they want if they're not hurting others. It's good to have an awareness of the consequences of your choices.

DarinK

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »

No one is perfect.  I'm certainly not.  Of course my actions, consumer dollars, and tax dollars support lots of things I dislike. That's nearly unavoidable. We all make our choices.
Like I said, I think it's important to be aware of the consequences of our choices.  I never claimed that none of my choices in life have negative consequences for others.  
The connection between Americans using illegal drugs & the consequences of the illegal drug trade worldwide are just as clear as the connections between the desire for cheap goods & sweatshop labor.
Drugs are nowhere near important enough for me to bother with; they are a luxury item that I don't need in my life.  I've tried 'em, and don't miss them a single bit.  So avoiding them is an easy choice for me.
Like I also said, I agree that the laws are crazy.  Drugs should be legalized.  Until that happens, an awareness of all the negatives of the illegal drug trade seems important, both for helping us to make our own choices, and for ammunition in the fight against stupid laws.

jonathan jetter

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-29/banks-financing-mex ico-s-drug-cartels-admitted-in-wells-fargo-s-u-s-deal.html

this is a good article, and fairly relevant.

cliff notes:  major banks launder millions (quite probably billions) of dollars for the mexican cartels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 16 queries.