R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I just LOVE these mics...!  (Read 15461 times)

ssltech

I just LOVE these mics...!
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »

This isn't really a constructive 'recording tips' thread, but it might suit the vibe here in Nicholas' personal blo.... -I mean Fletcher's forum. Wink

-I've been doing a fair amount of Classical and ensemble location stuff recently, invariably using a couple of the Sennheiser MKH-800's, which I borrowed from a friendly engineer.

They're dark-sounding. -And rich, like swimming in chocolate.

One recently came up for sale locally... I couldn't resist. -Then I found out that was DEEPLY in love with the bloody things, so my purchasing got a bit out of hand...

I've got a large British brass band project coming up in a couple of months, that I anticipate these will be LOVELY for...

I lined a few up the other day, before I gave my friend his mics back...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/IMG_7332.jpg

-Don't they look GORGEOUS!  Twisted Evil

_Somebody stop me, before I'm penniless!
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

KB_S1

Re: I just LOVE these mics...!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:04:56 PM »

So are Cybermen your favourite DW baddies?
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

ssltech

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:27:42 PM »

KB_S1 wrote on Tue, 11 January 2011 16:04

So are Cybermen your favourite DW baddies?

http://www.dealspwn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Blood-of-the-Cybermen-pic-2.jpg

"Okay guys, THRILLER... -from eight bars before the breakdown.

Five... six... seven... EIGHT!!!"

Wink

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

mgod

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 05:24:30 PM »

Sorry to go OT, but Cybermen are pantywaists.

index.php/fa/16145/0/
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:40:57 PM »

Dan, that made me laugh out loud. A good friend of mine from Manchester uses the expression 'pantywaister'

Never heard it from across the pond before

Peter
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

ssltech

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »

Don't blink.

(My wife's favourite, by the way...)

Barry Hufker

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »

I like some of the Sennheiser MKH mics but I've never appreciated the 800s.  What am I missing?

Barry

cgc

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:27 PM »

Interesting that Sennheiser describes the mic as the first designed for 96kHz recording and rates it out to 50kHz.  

The MKH 50 and 60 are staples of film and video location recording being a good indoor hyper-cardiod and short shotgun respectively.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »

IIRC, the 800 was the Enya vocal mic.

As to the film/tv world, you can also include the MKH 70.

It "replaces" the MKH816.

Unfortunately...it isn't as good as an 816.

The MKH60 is on a par with the older MKH416...different animals, but equally good.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Tomas Danko

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 07:41:18 AM »

I feel that the MKH60 sounds very dull, uninspiring and somehow low resolution.

The MKH418S is heaps better and still gives you just what you need and nothing else (i.e. the actual dialogue you're pointing at and not everything around it, and no extreme lows or highs). That is, unless you record the side signal of course. Smile
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

ssltech

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:13:55 AM »

Barry Hufker wrote

I like some of the Sennheiser MKH mics but I've never appreciated the 800s.  What am I missing?

Speaking for myself, they work very well in Omni and Fig-8. -Try them as flank-omnis, for example.

Also, with stuff like UK-style brass bands, where you really don't want the brightness to gang up on you, and you need some of that 'strength' in the low-end, they can be most mighty.

Keith

KB_S1

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 08:19:20 AM »

Is there any difference in sound between this version and the 'Twin' version?

Just been having a look at some. Nice they may be but you don't want to be getting into a purchase frenzy with them!
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

ssltech

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »

I was looking at a couple of the twins... With a clever mount and a pair of those, you can matrix a 2-axis B-format, and generate W, X and Y outputs. From that, you can feed it into something like David McGriffey's VVM program, and generate any combination of output patterns...

For example, you could get L, C, R, Ls and Rs outputs, and generate a sub feed from whatever sounds good...

http://mcgriffy.com/audio/ambisonic/vvmic/

Keith

Tim Halligan

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:42:25 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 20:41

Tomas,

Have you tried the various switch combinations?

There is a "Neumann mode" which I find a tad underwhelming...perhaps you have inadvertently stumbled upon that.

The 60 has fantastic midrange, and is really good for nasty horrible retail reads, but can also be very smooth for more corporate reads.

On location, I find the reach is about the same as a 416, but isn't quite as good off axis. It certainly makes you more aware of positioning. I also find that it doesn't quite have the same output as a 416...but the 416 is blisteringly loud.

As to the 418S...I've always recorded the side signal, as I find it can make a recording too dry without it....but that's a personal taste issue - I prefer a little more sense of space in my recordings.

Obviously YMMV.

Very Happy

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Tomas Danko

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 13:42

Tomas Danko wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 20:41

Have you tried the various switch combinations?

There is a "Neumann mode" which I find a tad underwhelming...perhaps you have inadvertently stumbled upon that.

The 60 has fantastic midrange, and is really good for nasty horrible retail reads, but can also be very smooth for more corporate reads.

On location, I find the reach is about the same as a 416, but isn't quite as good off axis. It certainly makes you more aware of positioning. I also find that it doesn't quite have the same output as a 416...but the 416 is blisteringly loud.

As to the 418S...I've always recorded the side signal, as I find it can make a recording too dry without it....but that's a personal taste issue - I prefer a little more sense of space in my recordings.

Yes, I've tried everything with/on the MKH60 and it's just not for me. But for what it's worth, it did make everything sound just like on TV. hehe

The "dry studio room" sound from the M signal coming out of the 418S is exactly why I dig the mic!

I've recorded about 80 hours of outdoor VO over a total of five months period and the 418S won the shoot out hands down (I had a bunch of microphones to test record with before I went into production).

The idea was not to get an "outdoor" echoish sound, it was all about getting rid of a room with walls.
I can stand ten meter away from the actors with the 418S and if I trim away the reverb end tail, people don't believe it wasn't recorded in a super dry studio room.

On good days I even got around -65 to -72 dB RMS of s/n ratio, and this is outdoors!

Cheers,

Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.