R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How Useful Are T-Powered Schoeps Mics These Days?  (Read 10111 times)

KaiS

Re: How Useful Are T-Powered Schoeps Mics These Days?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »

J. Mike Perkins wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 19:43

... I don't know why you would alter an historic T Power mic to use phantom power when you can get a proper T power supply so easily.  
1st: because I can do it in less than an hour.
2nd: because I like to have my mic's as universal as possible, without having to worry about external PSU connections.
2rd: because the resulting mic is almost identical to a current Schoeps model and can be used as such.
4th: because I don't regard a Schoeps CMC44 as "historic", "vintage" or anything else that would prevent me from modifying it.
5th: because I live 4km from the Schoeps factory and it's really easy for me to get spare parts like selected transistors.

I wouldn't ever modify any of my really historic mic's, only would I try to restore them to original condition if something breaks.
Not even would I change the capacitors as long as the mic works properly, and in fact I did have to do that only once in an old Neumann tube mic.

Regards

KaiS

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 01:27:47 PM »

PS.:
I'd been talking of CMV30p, the ones with NEGATIVE T-power (+ on housing) that I had modded.
More work then the common CMC4's, as I had to replace some transistors and reverse polarity of elkos too, but it can be done.

Regards

ttown

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »

I'd submit that in my limited experience with Tonator-powered Schoeps (I have two CMC4s), they are quite alive and kicking in the film industry.

I have a good friend and two-time Academy Award nominee that actively uses them to record dialog for film.  They sound wonderful and really excel in this application.  There's nothing quite like hearing dialog and foley recorded with these mics in the Academy theatre, with its pristine sound system.  Schoeps is without a doubt the sound that we've grown to love in Hollywood film dialogue.

I use them as acoustic guitar mics, and like them quite a bit for this application.  They have that front-of-the-mix quality to them, with absolutely crystal-clear high mids.  I record them through a D.A.V. BG-2 preamp.  I have been lucky enough to find a nice small vintage a-b power supply for them, made by Sennheiser, that works well as it is a stereo T-powered unit.

If I could find any fault in the sound of the Schoeps 4-series, it is that sometimes they are TOO clear/boosted in the high mid and highs.  This can of course easily be handled with gentle EQ, but they do tend to pick up finger 'talk' on acoustic guitar.  Sometimes I'm going for that sound, and in that case they are excellent; but for a more mellow sound I tend to pull out the AC701-based m221a or Neumann KM54/56/64/69 mics.  Of course, YMMV.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.