R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...so I have a friend who is A&R with a major label...  (Read 20176 times)

Edward Vinatea

Re: ...so I have a friend who is A&R with a major label...
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »

jrmintz wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 10:00

Good and successful have never meant the same thing.

+1.

Amen to that.

Edward

el duderino

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 02:28

4/5 of those people would still be at those raves even if they had never heard of the top act!!   You also have to realize that these guys played "other" peoples music out of Pioneer cdj's for 10 years growing their popularity before doing their own stuff.

so people choose to go to raves despite not knowing the headliner. I go to clubs to see bands all the time where that is the case.

Quote:

You do make a good point that if it sucks so bad, then why I dont I just out do him- I cant argue there and I'm gonna give my best shot( not that our styles are any way similar).

thanks, and i sincerely hope you are successful at it.    

Quote:

TO ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING THERE IS STILL GOOD MUSIC TODAY, SHOW ME JUST 1 ACT ARTISTICALLY ON PAR WITH FLOYD/ZEP/MARLEY/DOORS/STAN GUETZ ETC ETC............

I bet you cant name one post 1998!!!

how about radiohead?

it doesn't really matter if you agree because it's all subjective. some people don't like any of those bands named. I'm not one of them, but one man's trash is another man's treasure.

is Thriller a better record than Back In Black? I don't know and don't care (i like both), but I DO know Back In Black sold more.

Quote:

why?  cause people use music to sell other shit now.  And if they had organic rib eyes in drive thrus for 2.99, people would never touch a 99 cent cheeseburger again.  But theres the catch, in music it all cost the same price to the consumer and is readily available at all times!

if music is the same price to the consumer and always available, how can it be compared to pieces of meat not readily available at all times and sold at different prices?

music has always been used to sell things. 70 years ago you could listen to Colgate variety hours on the radio with musicians performing and also advertising for colgate products during the show. There were many others just like it.

Quote:

That Justin Bieber shit will stick in your head for 2 weeks, god knows what/how they are doing that- but I would not be surprised if subliminal messaging was used in some way.   A parent can not compete with that influence with just simple words!!!!

considering the target audience for beiber i'd have to say a parents simple words run into problems with anyone that age. i don't think there's anything subliminal going on. there IS alot of money being spent on people with serious track records though.

the list of people credited as writers on beiber's stuff is lengthy and includes people who've worked with many successful artists or are successful artists themselves. Everyone from the singer of the cardigans to Usher is on there.

kats

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 22:33

He's ready to either quit or blow his brains out [hope he does the former rather than the latter... but it is what it is].

Well he might as well quit now while he is ahead. The axe is coming down so heavy in the next month or two, there will be very few jobs like this left anyhow, anywhere...

Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Halfway Competent

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 23:28

TO ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING THERE IS STILL GOOD MUSIC TODAY, SHOW ME JUST 1 ACT ARTISTICALLY ON PAR WITH FLOYD/ZEP/MARLEY/DOORS/STAN GUETZ ETC ETC............

Green Day.  American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are both great albums.  

Zep?  Are you kidding me?  The singer sounds drunk and barely coherent in "No Quarter" (I like Maktub's cover of that song much better).  Stairway to Heaven is pretty OK, but as far as anthemic rock goes, I like Queensryche's "Silent Lucidity" better.

But you're only naming rock legends.  What about other genres?  Have a listen to Lizz Wright (jazz/soul).  Amazing singer, very expressive.  Great songwriting, too.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »

Jon Bonham is laying a whoopie cushion on your seat in heaven as we speak!! Wink  Since Ive been loving you?  Over the hills and far away? ramble on?  sweet jesus you cant tell me your mind is bored during those tracks!!!!

BJ armstrong can only dream of hitting 1/5 the notes plant could!!

to each his own I guess!!  Stan Guetz is no rock legend!! Ill check out Liz W, thanks!!

cheers

Halfway Competent wrote on Tue, 11 January 2011 09:47

Bubba Kron wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 23:28

Green Day.  American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are both great albums.  

Zep?  Are you kidding me?  The singer sounds drunk and barely coherent in "No Quarter" (I like Maktub's cover of that song much better).  Stairway to Heaven is pretty OK, but as far as anthemic rock goes, I like Queensryche's "Silent Lucidity" better.

But you're only naming rock legends.  What about other genres?  Have a listen to Lizz Wright (jazz/soul).  Amazing singer, very expressive.  Great songwriting, too.

"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

wwittman

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »

Green Day broke about 1990

Could they do it today?
I doubt it
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

NelsonL

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »

wwittman wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 18:10

Green Day broke about 1990

Could they do it today?
I doubt it

More like 1994, I'd say.

This has proven interesting to me in that, the examples keep turning out to be bands that are firmly in the pre-1998 category, including Radiohead and Green Day.

Although not rock, for me, Gillian Welch belongs in the timeless and transcendent category that (I think) Bubba is talking about. But again, her first release is pre-1998, so I'm stumped.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »

I love Gillian welch!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.