R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 800 Plug-In  (Read 92589 times)

eric_hedford

Re: Studer 800 Plug-In
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »

I think the demo sounds pretty darn good.

Reality is that recording to tape is a luxury, out of reach for most artists.  

I commend UAD for putting out some amazing plug-ins, and by using cards, they have stifled the pirates, which means I don't have to compete with thieves when I spend my good money.  Go UAD.

rollmottle

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 10:30:44 PM »

For the detractors...or anybody really.

I'm curious what outcome or applications of these leaps in recording technology you would rather see?

The advancement of the state of the art is an interesting topic both from a pure technology perspective and a creative one. These digital modeling technologies and the people who think about them are impressive and intriguing and exciting to me. These are tools for making sound just like any other. It's surprising how negative some of you react. The Bricasti reverb is state of the art digital modeling just like the UAD plug. Nobody said the sky was falling when that came out. I see no difference here. Set aside the emotional reaction to the marketing for a second and all we have is new recording technology...and that is never a bad thing for me.
SENTRALL Sound East
My SoundCloud | Twitter | www.sentrall.com

Gio

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 11:40:06 PM »

rollmottle wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 22:30

I'm curious what outcome or applications of these leaps in recording technology you would rather see?

The advancement of the state of the art is an interesting topic both from a pure technology perspective and a creative one. These digital modeling technologies and the people who think about them are impressive and intriguing and exciting to me. These are tools for making sound just like any other. It's surprising how negative some of you react. The Bricasti reverb is state of the art digital modeling just like the UAD plug. Nobody said the sky was falling when that came out. I see no difference here. Set aside the emotional reaction to the marketing for a second and all we have is new recording technology...and that is never a bad thing for me.

Food done in a microwave will never rival in taste or consistency, the dish it's trying to mimic.  

Innovation moves forward....I want to see some of that...
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Podgorny

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 11:51:28 PM »

Gio wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 22:40

Food done in a microwave will never rival in taste or consistency, the dish it's trying to mimic.  

This is gross oversimplification. And wrong.

I wish people would stop trying to make analogies relating audio to food or cars.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

kats

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »

rollmottle wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 21:30

The advancement of the state of the art is an interesting topic both from a pure technology perspective and a creative one. These digital modeling technologies and the people who think about them are impressive and intriguing and exciting to me.

I wish for advancements! But I don't call a second rate  modeling/emulation of anything an advancement...
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

RMoore

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 12:07:24 AM »

Les Ismore wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 20:51

I miss the sound character of tape, but not the effort involved to keep it running right. I also miss the fact that when you worked on tape you didn't have endless choices to make in the future that you do with computers.  

I recall distinctly how my pace of working slowed quite a bit once a DAW entered the control room - and it never improved (!).

On another note - I'm amazed at some recent ITB mixes I've heard from some contemporaries using outboard controllers.

There is an appeal of leaving behind all the boat anchors.

I was always underwhelmed with the sound of my Studer 810 as compared to the MCI JH110, which is why the Studer became the slap back delay.

Why a Studer plugin though & why not one of the analogue 'sound machines' like MM1200, Stephens, et al? Then I'd be tempted.

Maybe this is a taste of things to come.
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

MagnetoSound

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 03:38:02 AM »

RMoore wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 05:07

Why a Studer plugin though & why not one of the analogue 'sound machines' like MM1200, Stephens, et al?

Fame. Money. Riches.  Razz

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

zmix

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »

arconaut wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 20:13

Somebody's going to post this, might as well be me:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gszni4TOATo&feature=playe r_embedded
Hey Chuck!

Hey.. !  

A team from Universal Audio came by my mix room that day and asked me a variety of questions. Funny what they chose to use...   I specifically recall stating that the best thing about the A800 was the precise mechanical alignment of the  transport  and the powerful reel motors...  I wonder if they modeled those?  We'll find out if it pops a motor driver transistor and spools tape all over the inside of somebody's computer!!

wwittman

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 02:30:32 PM »

I just want it to make my computer weigh 200 pounds.

Oh, and drop in delay!
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

DSills

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2010, 02:43:16 PM »

RMoore wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 23:07

Why a Studer plugin though & why not one of the analogue 'sound machines' like MM1200, Stephens, et al? Then I'd be tempted.

Maybe this is a taste of things to come.

Around the same time (NAMM 09?) they first announced the partner deal with Studer, they also announced one with Ampex - for emulations of machines and tape. Yet, with the Studer A800 plug, they don't refer to the 456 formulation setting as Ampex.

The promo film also shows an as-yet-unannounced Ocean Way plugin (seems to be room sim/models of Ocean Way Studios).

"If it's where the heart is, how come you're never home?"
http://www.davesills.com

rollmottle

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »

kats wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 21:04

The advancement of the state of the art is an interesting topic both from a pure technology perspective and a creative one. These digital modeling technologies and the people who think about them are impressive and intriguing and exciting to me.

I wish for advancements! But I don't call a second rate  modeling/emulation of anything an advancement...

I would be careful about calling digital modeling of ANYTHING "second rate" just because you inherently disagree with the premise and output of the plugin. Bricasti's reverb is a digitally modeled emulation, not to mention every plugin and digital effect on the planet. "I don't like it" is different than "I know how it could have been done better." Dave Hill, Dave Amels, Bricasti, UAD, Melodyne, and tons of others are doing some pretty crazy, bleeding edge shit. Where you see the sky falling, I see some exciting possibilities.
SENTRALL Sound East
My SoundCloud | Twitter | www.sentrall.com

Gio

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »

kats wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 00:04

+1
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Gio

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 23:51

Gio wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 22:40

This is gross oversimplification. And wrong.

I wish people would stop trying to make analogies relating audio to food or cars.

Then why don't 5 star restaurants load their kitchens with microwaves?

Reverb is one thing, but I don't consider modeling a tape machine an advancement. Want butter, use butter. Want tape, use tape. See... simple. Smile
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Podgorny

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »

Gio wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 14:31

Then why don't 5 star restaurants load their kitchens with microwaves?

There are food items that can be created in microwaves that cannot be replicated by traditional cooking methods.  And this is happening in Michelin-rated restaurants.  Not everything microwaved is trying to mimic something else.

If someone objectively listens to a product and deems it unworthy, I absolutely respect their opinion.  If on the other hand, someone dismisses a product based on, say, it's country of origin, I'd say they are narrow-minded.  A lot of people are still unwilling to admit that Japan in general, makes a better automobile than America.

Oops, there I go with those car analogies
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

J.J. Blair

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »

zmix wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 09:52

arconaut wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 20:13

Somebody's going to post this, might as well be me:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gszni4TOATo&feature=playe r_embedded
Hey Chuck!

Hey.. !  

A team from Universal Audio came by my mix room that day and asked me a variety of questions. Funny what they chose to use...   I specifically recall stating that the best thing about the A800 was the precise mechanical alignment of the  transport  and the powerful reel motors...  I wonder if they modeled those?  We'll find out if it pops a motor driver transistor and spools tape all over the inside of somebody's computer!!

I hope the plug-in models the 827, in terms of reliability.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.