R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 800 Plug-In  (Read 92426 times)

jwhynot

Re: Studer 800 Plug-In
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 08:56:08 PM »

More music. Less tech.  Fewer machines.

There is no romance in rewinding tape.

I don't miss it at all.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

faganking

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 10:32:50 PM »

December 2nd, 2010.
Benjy King

http://www.benjyking.com

Phil Ramone quote: "If you can't get a good sound with a 57 and a Portastudio you're not going to get a good sound with a C-12 and a 3324."

Podgorny

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 11:22:59 PM »

I've got to admit, ridiculousness aside, I LIKED what it did to the drum sound in the demo.

Does this mean I think it's going to make Pro Tools sound exactly like a tape machine? No. I'm sure there are people who will buy the hype, but for me, if it makes a neat sound, I'm interested regardless of how they try to market it.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Chromatic Paste

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »

Has anyone here tried the Rupert Neve Portico 5042? Just curious. I have been interested in buying it seems to me like it might be a good alternative to some of these tape emulation plugins:

http://rupertneve.com/products/portico-5042/

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 01:56:25 AM »

Former Oceanway drone wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 22:53

Yuck.

Look. Studer's were, in my experience, very reliable machines. Sonically, they were okay.

Yeah, but Universal Audio did a GREAT job of modeling the transport!!!
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

Podgorny

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 02:07:49 AM »

Fenris Wulf wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 00:56

Yeah, but Universal Audio did a GREAT job of modeling the transport!!!

Maybe they could model the A-80's behavior when punching.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Podgorny

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 02:10:00 AM »

Perhaps someday, someone will make a plugin to emulate the "vintage digital" sound of pro tools, complete with spinning beach ball graphic and DAE errors.

Silvertone

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 07:09:59 AM »

I do miss the 3D sound and depth that recording to analog does give you.  I've been all digital (capture medium wise) for the last 6 years or so.  Anytime I'm working on a mix I'll pull up one of my old mixes done off the 1" 8 track... bums me out every time I hear how 2D digital really is.

I show this to young engineers sometimes when they come in for mastering.  I hear the same thing from them over and over, the first thing is always "listen to those drums",  "I can hear around them", "I can hear everything so much more easily", "listen to that bass" etc..."

I always say, "look what we gave up for convenience".

That said, I agree that digital can be great and I'm happy with it 99% of the time, that is, until I compare it to what I use to capture in the analog world.

Maybe someday digital will be able to give us all the flaws that made analog sound so good when done right... maybe.

Till then my hunt is back on for an Ampex 1" 8 track... so if any of you know somebody who wants to sell one please let me know.  btw, I've located 5 so far (that are never used) but their owners don't want to sell them anyway... I find that very interesting. I think they know just how good that machine was/is!
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

kats

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 09:34:25 AM »

I'm selling a digital conversion emulator for tape users that can be patched in between the console and tape deck. It doesn't get rid of tape hiss, or artifacts due to poor calibrations, but you get that cool musical sound of low bit rates, band limits, and aliasing. All features are tweakable!  
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

eightyeightkeys

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 23:22

I've got to admit, ridiculousness aside, I LIKED what it did to the drum sound in the demo.

Does this mean I think it's going to make Pro Tools sound exactly like a tape machine? No. I'm sure there are people who will buy the hype, but for me, if it makes a neat sound, I'm interested regardless of how they try to market it.

Thank-you.

I could care less if it's a "Studer" or a "MacGruber"....once you instantiate the frickin' plug-in, does it do something worth while or not. That's all that matters.
Dave T.
D&D Music

MDM,

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 09:53:11 AM »

Silvertone wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 15:09

...Maybe someday digital will be able to give us all the flaws that made analog sound so good when done right... maybe.

??  flaws sound good?

flaws don't help reproduce sound in a 3D manner as far as I can tell.

I'm hoping that someone makes a solid DSD-system which will outperform tape from the point of view of perceived space and feel.. until then tape is still the reference for me.. and those ampex machines had a nice design.
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

arconaut

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »

I generally like aligning tape machines, it was always a zen moment for me - but only if I was there alone before the session. Trying to do it in a room full of people under a time constraint, no fun. Of course, you have to calibrate digital systems too, but I guess we don't talk about that so much and it's not the same.

There are convenient things about tape too - like, when the track is done it's done, no playing a bunch of crap and then editing. And yes, you maybe made a safety, but it wasn't the same as making a backup where the next day you were in a bind because you couldn't find "Snare_57.027.dup." But we all know this.

I used to have a program called SoundEdit 16, sounded completely gritty and I daresay, in a cool way. But only for funking things up, not for "pure" recording.

You Are Number Six

Philip Shaw Bova

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »

I'm surprised that UAD didn't model the J37 instead of the a800. Then they could have convinced everyone that they too could sound just like the Beatles.

Silvertone

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 02:12:25 PM »

MDM, wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 08:53

Silvertone wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 15:09

...Maybe someday digital will be able to give us all the flaws that made analog sound so good when done right... maybe.

??  flaws sound good?

flaws don't help reproduce sound in a 3D manner as far as I can tell.

I'm hoping that someone makes a solid DSD-system which will outperform tape from the point of view of perceived space and feel.. until then tape is still the reference for me.. and those ampex machines had a nice design.

Aaaaa, that was a kind of "tongue in cheek" reference. Meaning all tape is flawed and so is the reproduction system but it IS part of why we love the sound... hope it makes more sense now.

best,
Larry
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

wwittman

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 08:27:55 PM »

The digital marketing reframing of the terms

Eveything people like are "flaws" but you can't call them attributes MISSING from digital.
They're just the mistakes we stupidly cling to

Yeah right.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 16 queries.