R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 800 Plug-In  (Read 92579 times)

maxim

Re: Studer 800 Plug-In
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »

index.php/fa/16170/0/

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #226 on: January 16, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »

Wow a lot of comments on this thing. Ok, what UAD has offered on this plug in is good.

How does it stack up against the Portico True Tape and Anamod ATS-1? I would think with your signal actually running through transformers and circuits compared to a modeling software that the depth and umph would be more with the hardware, while the software still can add the color that is good.

svs95

« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »

zmix wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 12:20

svs95 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 12:16

zmix wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 01:01

Here is a question: "If plugins improve to the point where they approach analog gear, will records sound better?"  It's a bit like asking "If restaurant grade cooking equipment is available in every kitchen, will home cooking improve?
Possibly, if the person at home is somebody like Rachel Ray, who came out of obscurity with no credentials. But the real question is not so much on the "home" (hobbyist) side of the analogy.

Rachel Ray isn't microwaving frozen dinners, she's cooking with real ingredients, besides which, according to UA, the vast majority of their customers are not full-time working professionals. So my analogy about the microwave oven may be more appropriate here.

Huh? You were asking if more people have access to better tools, will it produce better results. I was simply saying, it depends on the genius of the person using the tools.

"Uncanny Valley" may be a factor, considering how closely some people identify with their gear. Wink

Eww that's creepy...  and a bit like making fun of someone's shoes because they prefer to walk rather than ride a motorized chair:

Chuck, you suggested the "Uncanny Valley" response might be a factor. I didn't think you were making fun of anybody. I actually agree with that (as a small, subconscious factor, maybe), because people sometimes do identify with their possessions ("the clothes make the man," or maybe "the gear makes the man"). If something gets too close to a cherished thing, it might invite that kind of response. I agree that can't be completely discounted.
Stephen Smith
Soundsmiths Mastering, Inc.
www.soundsmiths.net

zmix

« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »

svs95 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2011 11:46

zmix wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 01:01

Here is a question: "If plugins improve to the point where they approach analog gear, will records sound better?"  It's a bit like asking "If restaurant grade cooking equipment is available in every kitchen, will home cooking improve?
Possibly, if the person at home is somebody like Rachel Ray, who came out of obscurity with no credentials. But the real question is not so much on the "home" (hobbyist) side of the analogy.

Rachel Ray isn't microwaving frozen dinners, she's cooking with real ingredients, besides which, according to UA, the vast majority of their customers are not full-time working professionals. So my analogy about the microwave oven may be more appropriate here.

Huh? You were asking if more people have access to better tools, will it produce better results. I was simply saying, it depends on the genius of the person using the tools.

"Uncanny Valley" may be a factor, considering how closely some people identify with their gear. Wink

Eww that's creepy...  and a bit like making fun of someone's shoes because they prefer to walk rather than ride a motorized chair:

Chuck, you suggested the "Uncanny Valley" response might be a factor. I didn't think you were making fun of anybody. I actually agree with that (as a small, subconscious factor, maybe), because people sometimes do identify with their possessions ("the clothes make the man," or maybe "the gear makes the man"). If something gets too close to a cherished thing, it might invite that kind of response. I agree that can't be completely discounted.

My comment about the "Uncanny Valley" was sarcasm, plain and simple.  

Not sure if you're taking the piss here or just being intentionally obtuse, but In either case I suggest that you re-read my comments about Microwave presets.  I specifically mentioned them in my post you quoted above as being the better analogy to the make-believe world of plugins.

Have you noticed that only plug-in users seem to require justification for their use? Your incessant comments (and your troll pseudonym: "Yammer" ) about real gear are just weird, particularly since you make them in the company of working professionals who contribute to this forum.

svs95

« Reply #229 on: January 25, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »

> your troll pseudonym: "Yammer"

Chuck, whoa! If you're not being sarcastic, you have me confused with somebody else. I've never posted under any other user name in the PSW forums.

I'm not disparaging hardware use. I own hardware (including tape) and use it (although not exclusively). I don't see why it's "either you're for something or you're against it" in here. I'm for whatever works (like the forum says).

Is Michael Brauer a member of this forum? I'd sure like to hear his comments. I know he has used the UAD Studer plug-in, and really liked it, and has publicly commented on his results. Doesn't make him anti-hardware, or part of some dumbing down conspiracy. A processor does what it does, no matter what domain it's in. One is free to like the result or not, and that will probably vary depending on the source signal.

I don't think people who like this plug-in (or any plug-in) on some tracks are by association enemies of the hardware paradigm. In my case, I'm just somebody who needs the flexibility of ITB processing on some of my projects, and I don't feel like I'm screwing those clients.

Also, I'm not a mind reader. I can't always tell (especially without emoticons or something) that sarcasm is intended. That doesn't make me stupid, it's just the nature of text communication.
Stephen Smith
www.soundsmiths.net

zmix

« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2011, 02:58:20 PM »

svs95 wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 14:21

Is Michael Brauer a member of this forum? I'd sure like to hear his comments. I know he has used the UAD Studer plug-in, and really liked it, and has publicly commented on his results.

Ok... On Gearslutz he said this:

"You're right, it might be implied that the studer plugin must be cool too . I was talking about studer and tape and other things, i hadn't heard the plugin yet."

Which is exactly what I said here.

UA admitted to a friend of mine at NAMM that nobody in the promotional video (including me) had heard the plugin at the time of the filming.

DSills

« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2011, 03:56:24 PM »

No dog in this fight (don't have access to either UAD or a real tape machine), but I did follow the thread on GS....

Quote:

ok, so yesterday I tried the studer UAD on printed drum efx bus, toms, snare, Guitar and overheads for a track that needed more of a saturated punchy sound. It sounded great to me. I also have heat which I like alot. So, I tried it and I liked it. Am I going to make sure that it's accurate by trying it against tape...uuh no, I know what I wanted to hear and I heard it, It worked for me. end of story.

BTW, If I didn't like it, I would have said, tried it but it didn't do anything for me. Would I have pissed off UAD a bit, probably, but they knew that going in that I'm not kissing any butts. I use what I like and that's it.

michael brauer

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/6078126-post369.html
"If it's where the heart is, how come you're never home?"
http://www.davesills.com

svs95

« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »

Chuck, the only place I can seem to find his remarks right now are at GearSlutz as well. This is after he used the plug-in. So I guess he's not too bothered by his remarks in the video. Have you tried the plug-in yet?
Stephen Smith
www.soundsmiths.net

zmix

« Reply #233 on: January 25, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »

svs95 wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 16:11

Chuck, the only place I can seem to find his remarks right now are at GearSlutz, as a matter of fact:

Thanks for sharing that...  I'm glad that there is a thread like that one on GS with some empirical testimony!

svs95

« Reply #234 on: January 25, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »

So Chuck, what's your emperical contribution? Have you tried the Studer plug-in yet? If you're worried about being associated with it, you might want to check it out. I don't think you'll be as worried about that once you've heard it.
Stephen Smith
www.soundsmiths.net

zmix

« Reply #235 on: January 25, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »

svs95 wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 16:34

So Chuck, what's your emperical contribution? Have you tried the Studer plug-in yet? If you're worried about being associated with it, you might want to check it out. I don't think you'll be as worried about that once you've heard it.

A word of advice Stephen, people here wouldn't have found you to be such a troll if you didn't try to bait them so much.

I have one objective only: Getting the sounds I need from the gear available in the service of the artistic vision of the song and it's production.  You may look at my website and see that I have no published gear list.  My collection of gear is certainly noteworthy and spans the entire modern recording era.  Why not boast about it?  Because that misses the point entirely. Gear does not mix records. To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: "He that is of the opinion gear will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for gear".

I have used the UAD A800 quite a bit and I love certain aspects of what it can do, once it's calibrated properly it can be really nice on certain sounds... But,  I do feel that  it can be improved, and I've already contacted UA about these aspects..

As an experiment,  I have sent additional mixes to clients (after they've signed off on the originals) where I have used the UAD A800 on a few key instruments and in every case the clients have preferred the original... Had I began the mixes with the UAD A800 they may have had a different reaction.. but the comments they made were very informative, and entirely objective since I did not mention what I had done differently in the second set of mixes.

I have a song up on the burner at the moment that I intend to use to put the UAD A800 through it's paces..   I'll let you know.

svs95

« Reply #236 on: January 25, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »

Chuck, you know perfectly well who I am, and you know who "Yammer" is, and you not only know we're not the same person, you know we're not affiliated, any more than you and Yammer are affiliated (since you know him in the same capacity I do).

How am I baiting you! I just asked for your opinion of the plug-in, which is what the OP asked for. I don't like fanboyism either, but there's no reason I can't have an on-topic positive opinion about this plug-in, based on working with it. There's also no reason you can't have a different opinion. That would still be productive.

I'd be happy to read any opinions, positive or not, that begin along the lines of "I've worked with this plug-in for awhile, and here's what I've found..." like Michael Brauer did; rather than these vacuous generic rants about digital audio or plug-ins.

Whatever the domain or the category of device, there is quality and there is crap. If we start from there, we might get somewhere worth going.

I think your straw poll of clients is skewed (though not deliberately). Whenever there are changes after the fact, in my experience there's usually a preference for the original mix, if it was good to begin with. It might be interesting to hear some client reaction where the plug-in is used up front. That way they're just reacting to what they hear, rather than the loaded context of making changes to an approved mix.
Stephen Smith
www.soundsmiths.net

zmix

« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:09 PM »

svs95 wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 19:14

Chuck, you know perfectly well who I am
No, I don't know who you are, apart from your forum presence.  I couldn't find you listed on any online discography services whatsoever.

I'd be happy to read any opinions, positive or not, that begin along the lines of "I've worked with this plug-in for awhile, and here's what I've found..." like Michael Brauer did; rather than these vacuous generic rants about digital audio or plug-ins. .

Obviously you didn't read my post above where I clearly stated:
zmix wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 17:57

I have used the UAD A800 quite a bit and I love certain aspects of what it can do, once it's calibrated properly it can be really nice on certain sounds... But,  I do feel that  it can be improved, and I've already contacted UA about these aspects..

I think your straw poll of clients is skewed (though not deliberately). Whenever there are changes after the fact, in my experience there's usually a preference for the original mix, if it was good to begin with. It might be interesting to hear some client reaction where the plug-in is used up front. That way they're just reacting to what they hear, rather than the loaded context of making changes to an approved mix.

Nor this part:
zmix wrote on Tue, 25 January 2011 17:57

I have a song up on the burner at the moment that I intend to use to put the UAD A800 through it's paces.. I'll let you know.[

svs95

« Reply #238 on: January 26, 2011, 12:49:39 AM »

Yes I read your post from earlier today, Chuck. It's the only way I knew you had sent out the revised mixes. I'm just saying they're not "entirely objective" as you put it, because there's a prejudice against revisions of a completed project.

However it was the complete body of posts prior to that which I was referring to. I look forward to your posting back with further experiences.

I agree with you about the importance of calibrating this plug-in to get desired results (which may or may not mean factory calibration). There are so many variables that, even though it might be found by trial and error, it helps to have a background with analog tape, and Studers in particular, to know where to start tweaking for a given result.

If you'll please reply to the PM I sent you before your last post, I'll remind you how you know me, and how we both know "Yammer." Since we haven't discussed it before, if you want to know more about my (non-celebrity) work, I can do that while we're at it.

Thank you for changing tack on this topic. I hope it encourages others to work with this thing and give experience-based feedback.

Stephen Smith
www.soundsmiths.net

jwhynot

« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2011, 02:33:21 AM »

Good lord what a gigantic load of tripe about nothing.

It's a plug-in.

Good night everyone.
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.