R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 800 Plug-In  (Read 92428 times)

MDM,

Re: Studer 800 Plug-In
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »

arconaut wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 17:12

Well, maybe somebody should cut to the chase and do an op-amp simulator plug-in. Here's your 2520, your 5532. Get that classic 741 sound.

Yes, by all means.. and then people should buy-up all those old soundcraft boards and pass the stereo mix through them to get that warm analog sound, distortion from oxidized contacts, and musical hiss that is SO missing in modern recordings. Very Happy
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

kats

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »

Another victim:

Quote:

Ok it's not exactly the same and it will never be...but it comes so close that it becomes more and more useful and cheaper to use that kind of product....

And another.

Quote:

The best thing about it is you can hear it working while you're doing overdubs, something the originals did not allow. And the real thing cost $250,000 isn't made anymore and the spare parts have been destroyed.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Dominick

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 09:57:21 AM »

http://dagobah.net/flash/ahhhhhhh.swf

900 lbs? My manual says 755 lbs. & I think that's shipping weight.
I want a 16 track head.
The image of 8 "machines" running together reminds me of Jim Steinman.
Dominick Costanzo

faganking

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 10:36:57 AM »

MDM, wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 09:19

All this plug-in stuff just makes me want to use better microphones and pres, personally.

I was just thinking the same thing...and just got to do it with a recent project at 'Red Rock Recording'.

We used these mic pre's:

LaChapell   992EG
D. W. Fearn VT-2
Buzz Audio SSA-1.1
Martech MSS-10(2)
Neve B002 6 channel 1073 type from 1972 BBC console

With these mics:

Neumann U-47 Tube
Neumann U-67
Neumann U-87 (2)
Neumann KM54
Neumann KM56
Schoeps 221B (3)
Royer SF-12
Royer R121
Coles 4038
RCA 77-DX

Great musicians in a great sounding room with great results and sounds as good as anything I care to remember from 25 years ago. After all...I'm no longer 30 years old and I'm NOT at Media Sound (which no longer exists). It's Thursday December 2nd, 2010.
Benjy King

http://www.benjyking.com

Phil Ramone quote: "If you can't get a good sound with a 57 and a Portastudio you're not going to get a good sound with a C-12 and a 3324."

MDM,

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »

fantastic!
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

scott_s

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »

The with and without clips on the vid are not remotely volume matched, that is suspicious to me.

Another UAD 1 owner here, so no demo for me (and NO SOUP FOR YOU !! ... LOL)

I like the UAD plugs I have, but for this kind of thing the URS Saturation plug is working for me.

compasspnt

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »

scott_s wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 13:31

...for this kind of thing the URS Saturation plug is working for me.

Yeah, maybe.

But it is not a tape machine!

KB_S1

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 02:20:10 PM »

How does this compare with Heat I wonder?

I admit I was somewhat taken in by Dave Hill's talk on 'Heat' at the AES show.
He didn't try and sell it as a tape replacement or a wonder tool that instantly made mixes sound like something. He did offer a solid insight into the technical challenge and the challenge of identifying what they were trying to achieve.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Les Ismore

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »

scott_s wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 10:31

The with and without clips on the vid are not remotely volume matched, that is suspicious to me.

Another UAD 1 owner here, so no demo for me (and NO SOUP FOR YOU !! ... LOL)

I like the UAD plugs I have, but for this kind of thing the URS Saturation plug is working for me.

Yeah the volumes did not seem to be matched so the comparison is void. I picked up the URS Saturation plug last month when it was 1/2 price and it's kindo neato on some stuff, drums for instance. Not for everything imo but nice on drums. It's also native so I can run as many instances as I feel like without any noticable change in my cpu usage.
I have a 2" machine sitting in the room but I haven't even turned it on in several years, and it needs a little bit of attention to be back in service. I miss the sound character of tape, but not the effort involved to keep it running right. I also miss the fact that when you worked on tape you didn't have endless choices to make in the future that you do with computers. But then again when you work with not so brilliant musicians, it's nice to have the tools to make them sound more up to par. But of course when you have the ability to polish turds, it seems you spend more time polishing turds.
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

scott_s

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 04:01:06 PM »

Drums is where I have used the Saturation plug mostly also.

Its funny on the volume matching thing - The Saturation plug seems to always add volume also, although it has an output level control where you can dial it back down.  I find -2 db is unity gain usually.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 05:00:45 PM »

Tony, I feel you.  Also, anybody who has that much reverence for Bob Katz ... well ... you know where I'm going with that.

Here's my initial thoughts:

First off, tape has better transient response.  No pre-ringing.  That's always the first thing I notice when I record to tape.  It sounds more 3D.  As soon as you put that through converters, you lose that.  This is why if I'm going to record to tape, I leave it there.  

Now, where this and CLASP come into play is using tape as a flavorizer.  Why would you want to do that?  Well, simply put, compared to analog, digital can sound a little boring.  This is why I use the Phoenix on certain things like OHs, vocals, or other stuff that needs s little fuzz on it.  

Now, would I ever think to myself that this plug-in makes my machine obsolete?  No way.  But, I can certainly see how this will make my ITB mixes more pleasing to my ears, and will make my life easier as far as getting the sound I'm after.

That's aways been the thing for me ITB.  I can get it to sound pretty goddamn good, but it takes more steps than a console mix.  It's like CISC v. RISC.  If this makes it easier, then I'm all for it.  

And trust me, I prefer to my OTB, but the reality of today's clients is expectations of endless recalls and tweaks, and for that fact alone, until I'm getting $5,000 and a point per mix, I'm going to learn to do outstanding mixes ITB.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

J.J. Blair

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 05:02:39 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 20:12

As cross-posted in Brad's Forum:

This is now getting out of control...

"The Warm Analog Sound of the World’s Most Popular Multichannel Tape Machine..."

The warm analogue sound of the IC chip?

I thought they were killing music, what?

(Not to put down UA, for plugs, they do pretty good work.)

I thought the 800 was discrete.  No?  I though the chips didn't start until the 820.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Former Oceanway drone

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 05:53:37 PM »

Yuck.

Look. Studer's were, in my experience, very reliable machines. Sonically, they were okay. Multitrack machines were, and are still I assume, a pain in the ass. Studer's were relatively reliable and that made them very popular. But I thought they sounded okay, at best. An MCI, hardly a favorite(even on a good day), could and often did record nicer sounding tracks than a Studer on its best day. An Ampex, skillfully aligned, and with a quality batch of whatever was good that week, could sound great. But a Studer, no. Not in my, relatively limited experience.

All that said, what a stupid f*cking concept. I suppose ignorance and gullibility play a big role in selling such bongwater.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

P.S. I don't miss tape ever. Anyone who does, wasn't there.

kats

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »

Former Oceanway drone wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 16:53

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

Well we all think different. I still refuse to cook steaks on a gas BBQ, only charcoal (I don't consider it a PITA).  
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

compasspnt

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »

Former Oceanway drone wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 17:53

Yuck.

Look. Studer's were, in my experience, very reliable machines. Sonically, they were okay. Multitrack machines were, and are still I assume, a pain in the ass. Studer's were relatively reliable and that made them very popular. But I thought they sounded okay, at best. An MCI, hardly a favorite(even on a good day), could and often did record nicer sounding tracks than a Studer on its best day. An Ampex, skillfully aligned, and with a quality batch of whatever was good that week, could sound great. But a Studer, no. Not in my, relatively limited experience.

All that said, what a stupid f*cking concept. I suppose ignorance and gullibility play a big role in selling such bongwater.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

In my opinion, very well stated.

If I were to head to a deserted island, I would certainly take an Ampex or a 3M, an Otari (90-2), even an MCI (assuming great condition and well aligned, all of them) way before a Studer 800-III.  And I have had all of them.

But I agree, not nostalgic for the pain of the things.

Same for vinyl.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 14 queries.