R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 800 Plug-In  (Read 92425 times)

arconaut

Studer 800 Plug-In
« on: December 01, 2010, 08:13:32 PM »

Somebody's going to post this, might as well be me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gszni4TOATo&feature=playe r_embedded

Hey Chuck!
You Are Number Six

Les Ismore

Re: Studer 800 Plug-In
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »

I bet that it's very good. Probably uses a lot of dsp off of one of their wimpy cards though. the plug in is reasonably priced at $350 (just a bit more than the price of a roll of 2") but I would suspect that you would need a uad2 quad card to run a lot of instances of it and that costs $1500. And then probably another one to run the rest of your plugs. I wish they would go native, but then they wouldn't be exclusive would they? I own 3 of their UAD1 cards so I can't demo it.  An instance count would be nice if anyone here demos it on their uad2.
Eventually they will have to go native IMO, it's just a matter of time.
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

kats

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »

Another example of selling lies and fantasy -  the pro audio standard practice these days.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

tunetown

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »

Looks like 24 stereo and 40 mono instances per quad card.

http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/charts.html

Cheers
Peter Houghton
Tune Town

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »

kats wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 18:15

Another example of selling lies and fantasy -  the pro audio standard practice these days.

I don't think anybody with any real experience expects any plug-in to sound "just like the real thing."  And no marketing department would be doing their job if they didn't sell it as being "just like the real thing."

The thing for me is that UAD plug-ins consistently please my ears more than just about every other manufacturer, and for the most part give me the flavor of their real life counterparts to the extent that my ITB mixes are pretty goddamn close to analog mixes.  

As far as native goes, I have a hard time believing that 20 instances in native wouldn't tax your processors.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Les Ismore

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 18:44

As far as native goes, I have a hard time believing that 20 instances in native wouldn't tax your processors.

on an 8 core? I doubt it. maybe on a laptop (2 core). I agree with you about their plugs tho. it just would be so much easier and powerful if they ran native.

kats

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:59:25 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 20:44

kats wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 18:15

I don't think anybody with any real experience expects any plug-in to sound "just like the real thing."  And no marketing department would be doing their job if they didn't sell it as being "just like the real thing."

The thing for me is that UAD plug-ins consistently please my ears more than just about every other manufacturer, and for the most part give me the flavor of their real life counterparts to the extent that my ITB mixes are pretty goddamn close to analog mixes.  

I have a hard time understanding how this plug in will model the sound of music that has not been converted... ITB  
Very Happy

This is a new low.

Tony K.

Les Ismore

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:08:49 PM »

kats wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 19:59

I have a hard time understanding how this plug in will model the sound of music that has not been converted... ITB  
Very Happy

I know what you mean, however I was reading a thread somewhere where Paul Frindle was answering a question about this very thing. He stated that if you could hear a sound on a finished digital master, you could authenticly model it in a simulation. So that means that if it can be recorded through converters and heard on a cd, you can simulate it. Of course the conversion has artifacts, but the character of something like tape can be simulated theoretically to the degree that you can notice it on any digital recording.
I found that very interesting as a way of thinking about it.

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »

As cross-posted in Brad's Forum:

This is now getting out of control...

"The Warm Analog Sound of the World’s Most Popular Multichannel Tape Machine..."

The warm analogue sound of the IC chip?

I thought they were killing music, what?

(Not to put down UA, for plugs, they do pretty good work.)

kats

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »

Les Ismore wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 22:08

kats wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 19:59

Very Happy

I know what you mean, however I was reading a thread somewhere where Paul Frindle was answering a question about this very thing. He stated that if you could hear a sound on a finished digital master, you could authenticly model it in a simulation. So that means that if it can be recorded through converters and heard on a cd, you can simulate it. Of course the conversion has artifacts, but the character of something like tape can be simulated theoretically to the degree that you can notice it on any digital recording.
I found that very interesting as a way of thinking about it.

That's basically doublespeak  (although not disingenuous) for saying as long as the final playback system is flawed, the emulation will sound convincing.

Not very encouraging.
Tony K.

jetbase

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 12:02:13 AM »

All these saturation & tape emulation plugins. Is it the new autotune? I use a couple but, generally speaking, I've found that anything recorded well doesn't benefit from saturation or tape emulation.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

el duderino

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 01:03:19 AM »

"just drop the A800 on the first insert of every track and enjoy having the benefits of recording to tape"

i miss the smell, and the razor blade.

maybe for every instance of the plug-in you could have the bass player interrupt playback periodically in need of said razor blade.

kats

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:02:48 AM »

JJ here's who they are going to make money off of, from GS:

Quote:

[Mr. Katz,

It is an honor to have you here with us. I have so much respect for your work. For those of you who don't know who you've been follishly arguing with, take a gander...

Bob Katz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With that said, no disrespect intended, I want the plug-in so bad it's not even funny. For my personal setup, it will save time and I honestly feel it will affect my recordings positively. It may not be tape, but if I could buy any 1 hardware unit for $350 to do what this unit claims and have it integrrate with my itb setup at home, I'd be all over it as well. This plug-in is a dream come true. I hated when I left Nuendo 3.2 and upgraded to Cubase 5. I lost Magneto which was an integral tool I used to maximize signals, provide a bit of 'modeled' saturation and 'girth' to my mixes. I feel it did that well. Since then, I've been using the Fatso, but it doesn't do the same thing. I'm very excited about this plug-in my friends.

This is so bad, sad. Pro audio is not making money off the professionals, they're sucking kids dry. They're turning music into a video game, a virtual experience that is ultimately an empty one. Sure you learn a little, it can be fun, but playing John Madden's NFL does not make you a football player.

This guy thought I was Bob Katz btw! I had to bite my tongue before setting him straight, as I wanted to say: "For $300 fella, you can call me whatever you like".

Tony K.

arconaut

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 09:12:51 AM »

Well, maybe somebody should cut to the chase and do an op-amp simulator plug-in. Here's your 2520, your 5532. Get that classic 741 sound.

You Are Number Six

MDM,

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »

All this plug-in stuff just makes me want to use better microphones and pres, personally.
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.