R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about powering up everything.  (Read 1447 times)

breathe

Question about powering up everything.
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »

If I should take this question to Dave Hecht's forum I apologize.  I was recently able to FINALLY get all of my audio gear hum/buzz free, having fraternized with Big House Sound wiring up my MCI and one thing lead to another and soon I had a relationship with a really cool and eccentric electrician who apparently does all the power stuff for the live venues in Austin.  I now have two 20 amp electrical outlets in my house's control room, each going directly to separate circuits on the house's main power box.  I have the Furman F1500-UPS powering up all my stuff, but I think I'm going to start needing to use the other 20 amp outlet.  My question is, should I buy a second Furman F1500-UPS and split my gear between the two outlets, or if anyone here could enlighten me as to how more "professional" LOOKING studios are powered.  The most important thing for me is that I am now hum and buzz free.  I'm thrilled about this.

Thanks,
Nicholas

p.s. The reason for the Furman UPS systems is that Austin is apparently prone to electrical storms and my house has had power outages here and there, and I would like to be able to have a band finish tracking a song even if the power goes out.

Fletcher

Re: Question about powering up everything.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:17:05 PM »

One 20a circuit should be able to do everything you need it to do... I had a 36 input API, an ATR-124, with two Studer 2 tracks a bunch of Pultecs, Fairchilds, etc., etc., etc. all on one 15a breaker in my old house... worked fine.

You should probably consult someone about grounding and a cohesive ground scheme... as well as looking at the output of the Furman box with an oscilloscope to make sure you're getting a clean [and unclipped] 60Hz wave form... but other than that, the only "rule" should be that power amps are the last thing on and the first thing off.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 16 queries.