R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monster Turbine Pro Gold Earbuds  (Read 6541 times)

maarvold

Monster Turbine Pro Gold Earbuds
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »

An old friend who works as a mastering engineer (and engineer) for Chesky Records recommended the Monster Turbine Pro earbuds to me twice in the last few years.  But the right opportunity to obtain them only came along recently: a birthday present where I kicked in a bit of the cash to make them my sole present.  

I LOVE these earbuds, probably just about as much (and for many of the same reasons) as I LOVE my AKG K701 headphones.  The tonal balance is totally natural and the presentation is very detailed and revealing without being hyped.  Also, the bottom end is actually better on the Turbine Pro's than it is on the K701's (which are just a touch soft below 100 Hz).  And the Turbines are designed to block outside noise (very effectively) without making your ears feel plugged.  

I've owned an iPhone since the first day they came out (my current model is 3G-S), but I never took iTunes seriously until I got the Turbine Pro's.  Now I'm ripping my CDs in (at 16_44.1_Wave) and really getting a lot out of the iPhone/Turbine Pro combination.  I also think this playback system is helped by the fact that the Turbine Pro's seem to play significantly louder than the stock earbuds at the same volume setting, so you can turn the iPhone volume down and the phone's electronics don't have to work so hard to play at comfortable levels.  

The earbuds come with many differently-shaped rubber earpieces, and I'm sure everyone could find something that gives them a great fit; I actually was happy with the ones that were mounted on the buds right out of the box.  Of course, YMMV.  

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5466
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Samc

Re: Monster Turbine Pro Gold Earbuds
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »

I asked the company that made my in-ears to modify my ill-fitting iPhone buds for me and the results are pictured below.  At first they made some custom sleeves which solved the fit problem, but they still sounded bad so...

They chopped off the original buds and put on these 2-way, custom molded buds that sound way better than the originals, they fit perfectly and offer a considerable amount of isolation.  Plus I get to keep all the features of the original cable.

index.php/fa/15260/0/
Sam Clayton

wavdoctor

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »

Are you mixing with them or just listening to ipod?

HB
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

maarvold

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »

wavdoctor wrote on Fri, 20 August 2010 07:45

Are you mixing with them or just listening to ipod?

HB

If you're asking me about the Monster 'buds, I'm not mixing with them, but they are certainly more than good enough to use as an alternate set of monitors.  And, if I was pressed into it, I'd predict a good result mixing with them.  Well-recorded and mixed material sounds really great, not so well-recorded sounds not so great.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Berolzheimer

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 03:23:37 PM »

Typically I'd discount a recommendation for any Monster product out of hand but since it's you, Michael....
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

Chromatic Paste

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:44 PM »

Crikey they look like something somebody sneezed out with wires attached!

Devil's Rope Studios

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »

Those look cool!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 16 queries.