R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Theft From My Shop: David John Hinson Pleads No Contest, is Sentenced  (Read 67707 times)

Ross Hogarth

Re: Theft From My Shop: David John Hinson Pleads No Contest, is Sentenced
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »

sounds like this situation in the end has turned out ok for the moment besides the guys that got burnt with no restitution

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

compasspnt

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »

Several posts on this thread have been edited or deleted. (If anyone's verbiage or meaning was changed to your dissatisfaction, please carefully re-edit your post.)

We must be very careful about making direct statements about someone who is or has been or may become involved in a legal situation.

And as much as we would all like to be, we can't become psychological analysts here either.

Thanks to all for their participation, and here's hoping that this type of situation is over.

But all must still be cautious in their dealings with anyone.

phantom309

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »

Yes, I was involved up to my neck and it was the most unpleasant interaction I have EVER had with another human being. I lost 20K in the deal. I lost (what I thought was) a good and long time friend over the lies and UNBELIEVABLY detailed and labyrinthine fabrications. I'm glad that we provided units to all but two of the "burned customers" in the process. I'm sorry to all here for my premature defense of him in the forum. He's an audio engineering genius with SO much talent and potential, but without a HUGE amount of help and dedication to a cure, it will never be realized. Dangerous in the extreme and I'm glad it's over. I feel for David K. the most...he and his wife did exactly what Deborah and I did, with similar results. It's sad to see this side of humanity in such close proximity, so personal. Sympathy to empathy to enmity. I am involved in litigation and won't detail further. Depositions suck most when friends are involved.
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

J.J. Blair

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 07:08:57 PM »

My unprofessional diagnosis is "borderline personality disorder."
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

bigbone

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 07 August 2010 19:08

J.J.

In my ''franglish '' like you said, we call that a '' breathe'' disorder..:...Rolling Eyes

JN

Les Ismore

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »

Sorry to hear of this. I have as probably many people who ran studios over the years been taken by several con men. The one constant is that usually they were the nicest people. Really liked several of them and considered them dear friends. A few were brilliant.

Had a friend just visiting here from Holland and she opened a night club there with a friend who then proceeded to rob her blind. It happens all over the place all the time.

Due dilligence sometimes is over looked when dealing with people we think of as friends, thats why con men work so hard to become our friends.

Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

Fletcher

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 06:58:50 AM »

It is very unfortunate to hear this.  I have known the man professionally for probably something close to 20 years.  I know he's had some difficulty in life, and hope he irons these things out in the future.  

While I am also sincerely sorry to hear that Mr. Kulka has had to bear the brunt of these problems, and its good to know that there is a potential problem in the community, I for one would not hesitate to give the man a shot if he has taken steps to turn his life around.

While I probably wouldn't give him keys to the shop until I felt sure about him, I would hardly call Mr. Hinson a "con man".  The work I have seen of his has been "tip top", I just hope is able to tame whatever demons have taken over what has always seemed to me to be a basically good man.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

David Kulka

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »

I appreciate everyone's replies and support. Terry, thank you for piloting this thread through occasional rough waters!

Fletcher, I am not aware of any problems or ripoffs that go back more than 5 or 6 years. I can believe that the earlier part of his career was different and that these problems started later on, for whatever reason. I would not use the term "con man" to describe him. Maybe no one will ever know the "whys" but to me, it doesn't matter much. In my daily interactions I too felt there was a good side, and I'm sure has done good things in the past. But to put that in perspective, I think nearly everyone, even the worst criminal, has a good side, just as the finest people on earth surely have a bad side, or at least a sliver of one. I have done things in my business and personal life that were wrong, that I regret. HOWEVER --  most people improve as they grow older -- as they socialize and mature, conscience and morality become more of a guiding force. If the opposite happens, that is a definite red flag.

For anyone who wants to read more, there are a lot of threads on Prodigy and Gearslutz. Names to search for are David Jay, Winston O'Boogie, John Hinson, Aardman, and Friends of John Hinson. Probably most or all of these names were used by Hinson himself, but I don't know for sure. Here are a few threads that came up in my searches:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=40366.0
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=34260.0
            http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-cla             ssifieds/437113-will-pay-25-if-someone-helps-me-get-ahold-da vid-john-hinson.html
            http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-cla ssifieds/461963-david-john-hinson.html

Mr. Hinson did not have access to keys when he stole from my shop, and we have an alarm system. I believe that he placed the item in his shoulder bag when no one was looking, then simply closed the zipper -- done.

This event turned my little world upside down. At first it was impossible to comprehend, because I was trying to logically understand something that was not logical. But professionals have said that my experience is common, and unremarkable. Below are some general warning signs. Not all were present in my situation but I think these are important things to look out for, in combination:

Person has been in the industry for years, but has little/no activity with previous clients, little/no cell phone/email activity, no apparent "network".
Person has no wife, girlfriend, or partner, and no circle of friends.
Person gets into mysterious fights and/or disputes with people.
Person seems dishonest about trivial matters, even when there is no apparent benefit.
Person is charming, charismatic, glib, seems skilled at controlling others.
Person does not seem to have genuine sympathy or empathy for others.
Person tells stories that portray him or her as a victim to elicit your pity, help, or money.
Person is bored easily and craves excitement.
Person shows occasional, random bad judgment in business or social situations, or loses temper unexpectedly.
Person seems to have shallow emotions.

Listen to your intuition. If the little voice in your head says that something is not right, that is definitely a red flag.
http://www.studioelectronics.biz

Service & Restoration of UREI dbx Neve Eventide Marshall AMS Tube Gear and more

Jim Williams

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »

Perhaps he can utilize his prolific talents in prison. John Stevens rewired all of the intercoms and reworked the TV reception in a California prison, it made him some needed "friends" for protection.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »

yeah, lets hope the place still has its old PA system with an Altec compressor in the rack,

which begs the question, what happens when he gets out?

I have two Altecs I would pay dearly to modify, perhaps more with a guarantee of delivery,

dream on, is it possible this could ever happen?

bab

RMoore

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 07:11:32 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 08 August 2010 01:08

Fwiw this is a subject (Borderline) I have some (unfortunately real life) experience with - a very complicated subject, with much variety, elements & degrees of manifestation, but the main trademark is a dysfunction of emotional regulation. Borderlines tend to not have 'brakes'. (In fact there is currently a move to change the term 'Borderline' to 'Emotional Regulation Disorder').

Borderline is seen as afflicting women far more often than men, but there is the suspicion from some experts that rates for Borderline among males probably go underreported (and undiagnosed) since many lower-'functioning' Borderline males likely end up in the correctional system early on due to committing assaults and other acts of violence. Whereas lower-functioning Borderline females tend to come into contact with psychiatric services. The 'higher-functioning' Borderlines tend to carry on in work & life with a facade of 'normality' presented to the World but typically causing much stress, turbulence and distress for those closest to them: family members, children & loved ones who experience their true nature.

The so-called Personality Disorders tend to become fixed & rigid by early adulthood, as in fact they are embedded as an integral part of the 'person's character, with a pervasive presence throughout their life. (Though, in the case of Borderline there tends to be a reduction in the severity of traits after middle-age, suggesting a link with hormones and emotional intensity )..

I don't want to speculate but, that fact that the person in question apparently became unreliable only in recent years is an interesting 'clue' - this could suggest addiction problems in addition to whatever else. Also, some people who are bipolar can exhibit sociopathic traits (listed above in David's post) while in a manic phase - while apparently people who are both bipolar and sociopathic will have those traits exaggerated in a manic phase.

@ David & others who had their trust betrayed - don't be too hard on yourselves! The fact is that someone who was excessively bizarre, unstable, chaotic, criminal or unreliable very likely wouldn't ever make it to the level of being a competent professional tech, so of course the last thing you'd be thinking of is running a background check, vetting or expecting that the person might steal from you!

People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

RMoore

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »

David Kulka wrote on Mon, 09 August 2010 18:56

Listen to your intuition. If the little voice in your head says that something is not right, that is definitely a red flag.

A good rule of thumb is take a step back & ask yourself 'Is this normal?'

Our sense of intuition & 'gut' feeling has been finely honed over the millennia..

Sociopathic traits - avoid these people:

http://www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

http://personalitydisorders.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_sig ns_of_a_sociopath
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

mazoaudio

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 11:17:05 AM »

Larrchild wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 21:01

He designed the Revolution mic pre and the UA 610. He's also been active in several tech discussions here. Very capable on many levels and seemingly a disaster on others, sad.

Man,

I have a UA 2108 and the motherboard says Designed by David Hinson. That's too bad, it's a nice pre.
Lance Ketterer

Mazo Audio

ssltech

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »

Quote:

the motherboard says Designed by David Hinson. That's too bad, it's a nice pre.

I don't think that's a bad thing, at all...

Whatever John's difficulties, he's one hell of a guy when it comes to making tube gear sound good.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

J.J. Blair

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »

Ryan, these aren't recent developments.  Some reports of this behavior go back a long ways.  Also, substance addiction did not seem to be part of the problem.  He did suffer from very debilitating depression, much like another borderline I know.  The other borderline I know had sociopathic tendencies, as well.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.