R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you happy, or disgusted?  (Read 19355 times)

Adam The Truck Driver

Re: Are you happy, or disgusted?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »

I've been pissed off, Bill, about the US government for a decade at least....if not 2.

Did anybody get my sentiment about a reboot, and chop chop? It wasn't in reference to an election, or meaning haste about something exactly. I was thinking more along the lines of the trusty ole guillotine. Once that first heads off, and the word is passed along to do the right thing or lose your head, those that can't seem to do the right thing will straighten right up, I expect. Using then checks and balances to keep track and everything will then be a o k.

Also people in big politics are likely rich to start with, but the salaries they get are absurdly over the top. I think the political leaders should be getting what I get, or not one cent more than the national average, to include minimum wage, cause they aren't working any harder than me if they are even close to the stress I deal with.
When you know of, and use ethics, and morals, and common bloody sense in decision making those decisions shouldn't take long to make. Then all thats left to do is sign the paperwork. All the ones in it, clearly, for the money and the power...chop chop. EDIT: Oh and I don't mind at all being the judge on that.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 11:48:56 PM »

STOP VOTING FOR RICH PEOPLE, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=159216125164#!/vid eo/video.php?v=159216125164

bab

Edvaard

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 12:53:50 AM »

Adam,

With all due respect, change the sign-off from "so sad" to, well, almost anything else.

America is so weird.

It changes from month to month as to whether we want to beat on the less fortunate or the much more fortunate, but beat on somebody we must.

Don't join in that party, just deal with your situation as it is.

I don't think that any president or any congress put a gun to your head to force you to buy that CS-1 microphone, even if they might have inadvertently, by way of dealing with much larger issues, disrupted that process in the negative.

Premiere microphones and top of the line preamps and further recording tools are best put to use by those best suited for the purpose, that is, both musicians and recording engineers long at the task.

Blaming the government for personal bad decisions just doesn't cut it.

I can buy a Cray computer, and even if I don't go out of business because of taxes, that does not give me a free ticket to guaranteed money and success.

PS

Hire a better tax advisor.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 07:13:04 AM »

Excellent perspective, Edvaard. Really.
We must have a beer sometime.
I'll buy.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »

Yeah I know I don't deserve to have anything decent. I best stick with the bottom feeders where I belong. Better still I should forget any notion of having a studio of any kind because I'm really just a lowly truck driver. Now I see the light. Thanks.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27:37 AM »

Adam, don't take it that way!

I would say that if you are a bottom feeder, you're in good company.

I'm just not sure whether you'd consider my company good or not.
Smile

One good thing about buying desirable gear, if you need money you can usually get a decent price for it.

I've had to sell a few guitars over the years that I would like to have kept.

But you know, it's just STUFF. It doesn't mean anything.
Relationships-they mean something. And I think you've established some good ones here.

Like the new sig, BTW.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

YZ

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »

You have to look at the positives; from your posts in this thread I gathered that:

1- you have a lot of work;
2- you are earning enough to get by.

Believe it or not, I know some people who would envy you: they're having a hard time finding any work to do, and not making enough, thus having to sell stuff they've accumulated with a lot of sweat over the years and burning up the little savings they had.

Usually, a job well done brings in more...  and gradually you can adjust your fees to a point of greater comfort.

Life is made of cycles; you're in a low point now but if you plow thru there's an up cycle ahead, sooner or later.
regards,

YZ

KB_S1

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 12:18:22 PM »

I have just gone through the worst month of my career in terms of work.

2 days. That was it.

Not a great feeling just now.
Fortunately March through to June were good and financially I have made it.
It looks like the next couple of months will be lean but ok.
I am struggling to work any schedule out for Jan/Feb as three different clients want to do albums.

This makes any financial planning very difficult. I am lucky in that my GF has a steady and decent job to smooth things out.

What actually bothers me more is that budgets are getting so tight that it is difficult to get any time to make good sounding records.
Good sounding rooms are getting harder to find and use because no one was able to pay for them.

Is this going to be the future for the majority of us in the game?
Some serious thinking is required and it is going to take more and effort to stay positive and upbeat.

But lets all make that effort at least.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Hallams

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 12:13:16 AM »

KB_S1 wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 02:18

(Edited)...............What actually bothers me more is that budgets are getting so tight that it is difficult to get any time to make good sounding records.
Good sounding rooms are getting harder to find and use because no one was able to pay for them.

Is this going to be the future for the majority of us in the game?
Some serious thinking is required and it is going to take more and effort to stay positive and upbeat.

But lets all make that effort at least.

Now thats the challenge. To be able to make good sounding recordings at on a variaty of budget options. As recording is no longer my full time day job, i see myself as a bottom feeder as well in the industry.  If the client's budget is low and you want to get a good hourly rate then better you know how to produce and wrap up a project in a quick and efficient manner. No hours of protoolizing! The most recent job i did "on a restricted budget"  was last week nominated as the CD of the week on our Radio National Breakfast show by the National Broadcaster. TNC mics used extensivley. I would have missed out on the income if i could not do it in a minimum of time and manage to maintain a decent hourly rate.  I know it's not up there with the expensive budget records but i think its a very fair result for my client.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhoKya-qQe4
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

el duderino

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 01:36:30 AM »

Adam,

Sometimes things get pretty shitty. ya have to look long term and focus on that.  consider it an expensive learning experience and do your best. Many people, including myself, are going through similar things to various degrees. Focus on the positive and what can be done to help in the future. I know that for me, a year from now is going to be a whole a new ballgame. Besides that, that's life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

as for the political stuff and fear of invasion, its been around as long as mankind and most likely always will. I wouldn't worry about it. We got attacked by less than 2 dozen terrorists led by a guy in a cave. They caused immense damage and took many lives, but an "invasion" they are incapable of.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 06:58:04 AM »

Cool Chris.
Love the low key video.
For some reason the singer made me think of Rhys Darby.

Could you share which mics you used on vocals and drums?

Hallams

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 07:30:20 PM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Fri, 06 August 2010 20:58

Cool Chris.
Love the low key video.
For some reason the singer made me think of Rhys Darby.

Could you share which mics you used on vocals and drums?

Ha Rhys Darby, i'll have to tell him that.
For vox, on most songs i used the ACM1200, for two songs it was an AKGD19. For the guide vox while tracking drums etc live i used an SE vocal condenser. For the song in the video it was the ACM 1200.
On drums i used a pair of ACM-4's in a Glyn Johnes setup, but uesd close mics as well. ACM-310 on floor and tom mic, Rode NT5 on the other tom and high hat, a sure 56 on snare and a Bayer 88 on Kick. The room mic was an ACM-3. Drums, bass, guit, guide vox and B-vox were done live in one room.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

compasspnt

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 09:19:37 PM »

Chris, nice use of the ACM1200! Cool recording.

That capsule is alright.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 11:20:35 PM »

Yes. It sounds good. So this was an un-modded 1200?

Hallams

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 07:10:10 AM »

Thanks for the compliments fellas, it means a lot. Yes Bill it's un-modded. I'm more than happy with the 1200 though i would love to have the mods done, and will at some stage but right now i'm saving every cent i can. Eddy has a great tone to his voice and i used one of my vintage Australian built pre amps that also has a simple opto comp as the recording chain and i know this bit of kit adds some euphonics.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.