R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jecklin Disk - Favourite Classical Recordings?  (Read 15529 times)

studiochap

Jecklin Disk - Favourite Classical Recordings?
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:26:46 AM »

I've been using the Jecklin disk since the early 1980's, but not being a classical engineer I've never had the chance to use one in any classical music context, -  except for occasional solo pianos or commercial string sections  (with delayed spot mics added where necessary).

I would be very interested indeed to hear a classical recording made with the Jecklin OSS system, which in the opinion of knowledgeable forum members is an outstanding example of the application of that technique in an orchestral context.

Any suggestions for particular recordings would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gwyn
Gwyn Mathias
Odessa Wharf Studios ( now down the tubes after 14yrs...RIP )
Pro Audio Survivor...Smile

"What,Me Worry?" Alfred E. Neumann (...or was it Newmann?Smile

Electrical Theory by Joseph Lucas (inventor of the Self-Dimming Headlamp):
"Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work; we know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of the electrical system, it stops working"

Blas

Re: Jecklin Disk - Favourite Classical Recordings?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:08:07 AM »

Gwyn, I've used a self constructed jecklin disc for my 5.1 concerts over the passed 10 years and feel the use of the disc for my rear monitors are just beauiful for capturing the surround effect of the mature instruments and quality of the venue it was captured in.

I use two ADK 51TL's in omini mode with the disc and am very happy when I place them about 30 feet front the stage edge and about 15-20 feet up.  You pick-up very well developed waves.

Visit my control room and let it show you how wonderful surround can be!!!

Plus you can mix it into a stereo project and make it sound stunning in depth!

Joe
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me

tiller

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »

Not used one myself. However, to answer your question, I remember reading the Tak

nCole

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:36:08 PM »

tiller wrote on Thu, 26 August 2010 16:10

Not used one myself. However, to answer your question, I remember reading the Tak

Rich Mays

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:14:08 PM »

tiller wrote on Thu, 26 August 2010 17:10

Sonare Recordings
www.sonarerecordings.com

tiller

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Rich! Admittedly I hadn't really thought about it -- was just regurgitating (probably incorrectly!) something I had read some time ago.

And agreed re: Takacs. First heard/heard of them at the Aspen Music Festival and School last year where they did a few dates. We had lots of Schoeps (2H is my personal fave) to record the concert with, but unfortunately no Jecklin Disks!

Cheers,
Adam

Diocletian

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 12:40:27 AM »

Hi Gwyn,

Try:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67458

We used a Jecklin disc on Christopher's wonderful recording of the Winspear L

Eric H.

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 06:10:22 AM »

How does the MK2S compares with the KM183?
I only know the KM183, but I am not always pleased with the high frequency rise.
Thanks
eric harizanos

KaiS

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 02:15:59 PM »

Eric H. wrote on Fri, 27 August 2010 05:10

... the KM183, but I am not always pleased with the high frequency rise.
The Jecklin Disk needs mic's with a high frequency rise, as it "filters" out frequency content, in the higher range coming from the side, starting at about 1kHz.

The drop is quite significant, adding to the side/rear HF drop of usual omni mic's.

Therefore the Jecklin Disk works best in rooms that are on the bright side.

Regards

Diocletian

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »

I believe the Schoeps MK-2S capsule was designed to be at a desirable midpoint somewhere between a free-field and diffuse-field response, lending a pleasant tonal balance within the reverberation radius.

The Neumann KM183 is a diffuse-field capsule.  Simon Eadon requested Schoeps microphones with MK-2S capsules, but they were not available, so the KM183's were used.  DPA 4006's were available, but not deemed favourable.

Correcting an over-bright tonal balance on a Jecklin Disc using diffuse-field omnis can be adjusted by rotating the front of the disc upward, thus aiming the microphone's axis higher.

Cheers,
Ron Yachimec

studiochap

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 12:08:26 PM »

Thanks guys!

I'm very grateful to everyone who's replied to this thread - now I've certainly got  some recordings to check out.

When I've double-mic'd  12 to 20-piece commercial string sections  in the past with both JD and MS and compared the results, FWIW my own take has always been that the MS sounds more "hypey" and dramatic, - and thus referable for a lot of  pop tracks, and the JD sounds big and classy , but with not quite so much drama.

Cheers
Gwyn Mathias

"Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work; we know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of the electrical system, it stops working"

studiochap

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 12:15:42 PM »

Blas wrote on Mon, 23 August 2010 05:08

Gwyn, I've used a self constructed jecklin disc for my 5.1 concerts over the passed 10 years and feel the use of the disc for my rear monitors are just beauiful for capturing the surround effect of the mature instruments and quality of the venue it was captured in.

I use two ADK 51TL's in omini mode with the disc and am very happy when I place them about 30 feet front the stage edge and about 15-20 feet up.  You pick-up very well developed waves.

Visit my control room and let it show you how wonderful surround can be!!!

Plus you can mix it into a stereo project and make it sound stunning in depth!

Joe

Joe, I've been fascinated with the idea of 5.1 recording  ( rather than just mixing...)  for ages. In order to actually do any I'm probably going to end up having to offer my services to some UK classical musicians  for free. Thanks for the invite - if I ever make it to St. Louis be sure I'll be beating a path to your door! Out of interest, may I please enquire the rest of your 5.1 recording rig apart from the JD?

Best regards,

Gwyn

Gwyn Mathias

AlexVI

• Real Full Name: Alexander Van Ingen
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 02:43:31 PM »

Rich Mays wrote on Fri, 27 August 2010 02:14

tiller wrote on Thu, 26 August 2010 17:10

Rich Mays

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »

Simon emailed me a description and pic-- Mk2S on a JD with a TLM170 on cello. That's all.

Rich
Sonare Recordings
www.sonarerecordings.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up