R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: U87 Capsule cleaning video  (Read 28823 times)

Martin Kantola

Re: U87 Capsule cleaning video
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »

"A fantastic demonstration of cleaning a Neumann U87 with Glen Phimister at the Australian Institute of Music. Another great example of the industry practitioners at AIM."

Maybe someone should tell them it's fantastic but not as intended?

Martin

Mark Lemaire

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 02:45:11 AM »

Dear folks-

If this guy is a teacher, by god he must know what he's doing! I just cleaned my U67s and M269 pair's dusty capsules this way. Just for good measure I also cleaned my KM84 capsules too. Now none of them sound so good anymore, and one of them doesn't pass signal at all...  What gives?

Yes, I did use a good camel's hair brush. Maybe I shouldn't have dried them with that heat gun?
Mark Lemaire

http://www.myspace.com/MarkLemaire

http://www.rubatorecording.com/
Audiophile recording of your music. Anywhere. Anytime.

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »

I know nothing about cleaning microphones, except that I don't want to do it myself, and the names and phone numbers of a couple of guys that I would trust.   Showing students how to keep a mic clean and safe is a much more important lesson than teaching them how to clean them.  I've been engineering for 25 years and I've cleaned one microphone capsule.  I had Tony Merrill do it last year to my old EB.

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »

Mark Lemaire wrote on Sun, 16 May 2010 02:45

Maybe I shouldn't have dried them with that heat gun?

My dear friend, you must always use a hairdryer on the low/cool setting from 12 inches away or more, and only with all of the windows closed! Duh!
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Tapani Rauha

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »

Mike Cleaver wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 04:36

I'm POSITIVE he should remove the video!

Now:

"removed by user"

Did anyone download the video?
Anyone know anything about the Australian Institute of Music?
We have a responsibility for kindness, try it and see how far the ripples carry...

djosephson

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »

As I noted in 1995, perhaps it would be better just to let this discussion expire. But no, the internet never forgets.

It is absolutely correct as Klaus points out that "in many cases you will make matters worse..."

Also, in fifteen years no one seems to have noticed the little snag that I included in that posting. Does anyone catch it now? Hint: no one has such means...
--
David Josephson -- Josephson Engineering Inc -- www.josephson.com

johnR

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 07:29:22 AM »

djosephson wrote on Sat, 22 May 2010 00:43

Also, in fifteen years no one seems to have noticed the little snag that I included in that posting. Does anyone catch it now? Hint: no one has such means...

This?
Note however that some of these have the diaphragm tension held constant only by the pressure of the ring -- no glue (these cannot be disassembled safely unless you have a means to re-tension the diaphragm).

jetbase

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »

Tapani Rauha wrote on Sat, 22 May 2010 05:27

Mike Cleaver wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 04:36

I'm POSITIVE he should remove the video!

Now:

"removed by user"

Did anyone download the video?
Anyone know anything about the Australian Institute of Music?

I think AIM are reasonably well respected as far as audio schools go. Some time ago they took over Q studios (the former Rhinoceros studios which, IIRC, was originally owned by INXS) & kept it going for some time until developers eyed the building for apartments, at which time they moved the studio 'in house': http://www.aim.edu.au/facilities/qstudios/default.asp

I didn't see the video, but Glen is also reasonably well respected as a successful engineer & producer, & as well as teaching he services mics (known for re-ribboning) & hires out a selection of modern & vintage outboard & microphones. I've hired gear from him & had one mic re-ribboned by him (Beyer M360). Never heard a bad thing about him until mention of this video.

Cheers,
Glenn
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »

As has been proven by many hobbyists, experimenters and old time radio engineers, re-ribboning is not exactly rocket science and the material is pretty easy to come by.
If you ruin a ribbon installing it, it's pretty easy and inexpensive to either make or have made a replacement.
He was playing with a thousand dollar microphone capsule (if it was a Neumann.)
If it was a Chinese knockoff, well, that's a different story.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.