R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment ergonomics  (Read 72625 times)

Waltz Mastering

Re: Equipment ergonomics
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2010, 02:06:53 PM »

lowland wrote on Tue, 07 September 2010 11:50

Waltz Mastering wrote on Tue, 07 September 2010 13:18

I customized my desk a while ago to have the monitor mounted at the same angle as you and Dave M mentioned the Sterling having.  Unobtrusive and works great.

This interests me - is there a rackmount frame one can buy to install an existing monitor, or does it need to be a custom job?

You can buy 19" rack mountable displays:
http://www.smartvm.com/Rackmount-LCD-Monitors-C1289.htm?ctt_ id=3391107&ctt_adnw=Google&ctt_kw=rack%20mount%20mon itor&ctt_ch=ps&ctt_entity=kw&gclid=CIm_lIHz9aMCF eQD5Qodm16i0w

A 20" (diagonal) display is usually just under 19" in length so it works well for custom.

lowland

« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »

Waltz Mastering wrote on Tue, 07 September 2010 19:06

You can buy 19" rack mountable displays:
 http://www.smartvm.com/Rackmount-LCD-Monitors-C1289.htm?ctt_  id=3391107&ctt_adnw=Google&ctt_kw=rack%20mount%20mon  itor&ctt_ch=ps&ctt_entity=kw&gclid=CIm_lIHz9aMCF eQD5Qodm16i0w

A 20" (diagonal) display is usually just under 19" in length so it works well for custom.

Thanks Tom, it's appreciated. That looks good if expensive - makes me wonder how easy it would be to have some metalwork made up to fit my existing 19" 4:3 flatscreen.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

dave-G

« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2010, 11:32:36 PM »

lowland wrote on Tue, 07 September 2010 16:20

makes me wonder how easy it would be to have some metalwork made up to fit my existing 19" 4:3 flatscreen.

Wouldn't take too much effort to have a VESA mount welded onto a sturdy 19" panel.  With a thinner LED display, you could perhaps even get something wider and let it hang above the screw-rails/over the sides a bit.

I've thought about 'McCaiging' it too (large TV further back).  But I've got sufficiently impaired eyesight, even with coke-bottle contact lenses, that the prospect of having to look too far away has been a factor in my non-changing of the theoretically problematic way I've got things here now.

I've also had the idea in my head of an iPad VNC'ing the DAW with a non-slip neoprene backing so it could sit anywhere on top of the knobs, movable to out-of-the-way as needed..   Still control the DAW by keyboard and mouse on the wrist-rest area of the console ...   I just don't know if the VNC behavior on those is fast enough to not be prohibitively annoying, or if the screen size/resolution is impractically small for this.

Tough to find the time and logistics to experiment, and I don't manage to hate the setup I've got now.
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

jdg

« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »

im blind too, the size + resolution works great.

the "best" resolution you'll get on a LCD TV is 1920 x 1080

at 50+inches you should be able to "McCaig" it all day long, even without your glasses on! (disclaimer, may not be suitable for mixed company)
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Viitalahde

« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2010, 04:33:32 PM »

This has been such a great topic and you people are really helping me out here, thanks for that.

As I said, I constantly keep on changing my mind, and so I am this time. Right now the LCD in front in 51% winning. I was just checking one out and when blanked, it blends into the wall quite well. Besides, it was my original choice, anyway.

But what puts me off with the side mounted option is the extra furniture needed, I'd like to keep the upcoming room really simple. If I ever changed my mind, getting rid of a big TV is probably easier than with a $700 Sound Anchor.

Related to the topic, I'm wrapping up my plans for my new desk. Quite like a Sterling Modular Plan A, but with 13 units, no low front racks, foot space under the console and just 2x 4U space on the back for PSU's and such.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

dave-G

« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Wed, 08 September 2010 16:33

what puts me off with the side mounted option is the extra furniture needed, I'd like to keep the upcoming room really simple. If I ever changed my mind, getting rid of a big TV is probably easier than with a $700 Sound Anchor.

FWIW, you might not need extra furniture, per se. For my 2nd DAW,  I have a small (17" widescreen) monitor low and off the side of my Sterling desk via a Moview arm.  Works well, nothing on the floor, just kinda floats there sturdily.  Wouldn't want to have to stare sideways for doing things with my primary DAW, but this one is my capture/assemble machine, so my use of it is less sound-critical.  

I use teleport so that my main rig's keyboard and mouse will take over control of the Mac Mini that runs DAW2 by just option dragging the mouse-cursor off the left edge of the main rig's screen.  I also have it installed on my MacBook so if put that on the console to check mail etc, I can drag in either direction and use the MacBook to control either DAW.

Neat-o.

-Dave
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.