R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Stereoizing" Mono Signals with the Haas Effect  (Read 22084 times)

burns46824

"Stereoizing" Mono Signals with the Haas Effect
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »

I read an interesting article by David Moulton on "stereoizing" mono signals. He said that the Haas effect is a great way to "stereoize" a mono sound source.  (The Haas effect being very short .1 to 1ms delay).  Moulton also said that one should only pan a source signal hard left, center, or hard right and that the Haas effect can be used to fill up the "imaginary space" between these points.

How exactly would one use such a delay in mixing?

Let's say I've panned a mono synthesizer sound hard left. If I wanted to "stereoize" that mono sound with the Haas effect, would I use a short stereo delay and pan the effects return, or would I use a short mono delay and just pan the signal of the bus itself?

I've never panned my sends, (just the effects busses themselves).  Perhaps I've overlooked something...

ssltech

Re: "Stereoizing" Mono Signals with the Haas Effect
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:04:48 PM »

Half understood nonsense.

To say that "the Haas effect" means sub-millisecond delays is inaccurate.

there's NO magic way to stereoize a mono signal, Every benefit has a price. -Go ahead, choose ANY delay from 0.1mS to 10mS, and listen to what it does in mono.

There is no free lunch, anyone who tries to 'authoritize' any approach with a misapplied term either doesn't know what they're talking about, or is being extremely disingenuous.

The Haas effect refers to ambiguity and localization, and is frequently misused as a term. Most people use it wrongly, ten seconds with Google gives a better idea.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

burns46824

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »

Hmm...this is the article in reference.

http://www.moultonlabs.com/more/principles_of_multitrack_mix ing_the_phantom_image/P0/

So how do you, Keith, treat your mono signals (besides the obvious ones that go untreated like bass and drum sounds)?

bruno putzeys

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:13:04 AM »

The article is not about turning mono into stereo. It's about delay panning vs intensity panning.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »

A delay as short as a single sample can create all kinds of phase havoc... that has nothing to do with stereo and everything to do with comb-filtering... as Bruno said - the article is about localization of a panned signal - not "stereo-izing" but the placement of sounds in a stereo field.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.