R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: KM84 as live vocal mic?  (Read 22495 times)

Mark Lemaire

KM84 as live vocal mic?
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:20:04 AM »

Folks-

In the never-ending search for a great live vocal sound, this idea recently came to mind. It was partially inspired by learning that the KM54 was used by the Beatles sometimes (not often) on close-miked vocals. Of course, one must use a good windscreen...

Anyone else do this? Any danger to the capsule (provided I use a foam windscreen? Note that my vocal style is mellow and not very aggressive. I tried it today on my PA and (after turning down the bass most of the way) found the sound pretty damn fine, no feedback issues to speak of.

Another note: I used to bring my U67 to play outdoor weddings!!
Mark Lemaire

http://www.myspace.com/MarkLemaire

http://www.rubatorecording.com/
Audiophile recording of your music. Anywhere. Anytime.

Klaus Heyne

Re: KM84 as live vocal mic?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:13:33 PM »

Mark Lemaire wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 22:20

...learning that the KM54 was used by the Beatles sometimes (not often) on close-miked vocals. Of course, one must use a good windscreen...Anyone else do this?

Yes.
First, there is the Neumann KMS84- in essence a KM84 with a bunch of padding in front of the capsule, so it can be used without popping.

Then there are a couple of seminal Frank Sinatra records that were made with SD mics:

index.php/fa/14563/0/
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »

If you use an 84, which could sound great, the "pop filtering" will be the biggest issue!

Followed by proximity effect.

An 86 would be somewhat easier, and mostly similar sound-wise.

burp182

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:59:21 PM »

Did a live big band gig with Frank Jr. and, after trying a lot of alternatives, ended up using a KM84 (held WELL away from his mouth) as the gig mic. He has great control, so problems during the evening were minimal. Subsequently got him a KMS140 which worked wonderfully and solved the pop problems. Not a common or inexpensive mic, but miles better than the KMS105 and anything else we found for a natural sound.

Michael Brebes

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »

The KMS104 is supposed to be similar to a KM184 but with the pop filtering for live vocal work.  A great sounding live mic.

Jeff Stuart Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 06:20:12 PM »

I've always loved the mod look of this early hand held version of the KMS85 (84 w/low end roll off)index.php/fa/14557/0/
Jeff

John Monforte

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 12:29:26 AM »

If you stand on the mic the way people use an SM58, it will have a hefty dose of proximity effect and will need pop filtering. Since the mic does not have an internal high pass filter, your preamp will work hard and you will then have to correct it afterwards in the chain. All very fixable problems.

On the other hand, I have used a good SD condenser for backup singers - back in the day when they were recorded at once with a single mic. Today's fashion is to have one mic per sound source and often people are using only LDCs for everything. Also, everything is mic'd close in. I like the contrasts afforded by different perspectives and different mic types and I miss that in today's recordings.

If you start a new aesthetic with this it would please me greatly. I think today's sounds are getting pretty monchromatic.
From conception to posterity through invisible technology.

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 01 April 2010 16:31

An 86 would be somewhat easier, and mostly similar sound-wise.

Interesting you should say this Terry. Just a couple of months ago we did a session where the producer wanted a 'Motown' like sound for his female vocalist. So, when we auditioned several vocal mics, we put up a KM86 along with other 'usual' LDC mics (including a nice sounding U67). The producer picked the KM86--it sounded great on this vocalist.

-Andres

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:42:41 AM »

Andres Gonzalez wrote on Mon, 05 April 2010 10:28

...the producer wanted a 'Motown' like sound for his female vocalist...we auditioned several vocal mics...The producer picked the KM86...

Which is what so many Motown vocals were recorded with.

Mark Lemaire

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:02:34 AM »

"If you stand on the mic the way people use an SM58, it will have a hefty dose of proximity effect and will need pop filtering."

Exactly. I am using this mic for live vocals (sound reinforcement). The only way to avoid feedback issues is to work the mic close. I am using windscreen and backing off the lows. We'll see how various venues/ audiences take it as the season progresses. For now, I am enjoying the open top end the 84 is giving me when compared to SM58 and the like. I also like the fact that sound is still useful when I back off a bit, instead of dying completely.

While the Neumann 105 (have I got the model number?) is designed for live work, I am not buying right now, but would rather experiment with what I have.
Mark Lemaire

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 02:17:02 AM »

For what it's worth:
Neil Young has used KM84 (modified) for many years for his live performances in halls small, medium and very large, on acoustic guitars (CSN&Y) as well as drum overheads (Crazy Horse).

That tells me, that a sensitive studio mic like a KM84 can be used for sound reinforcement, as long as it's in the hands of talented live mixers.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Mark Lemaire

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 01:40:11 AM »

Thanks, Klaus- didn't know that- though I'm not suprised that the 84 gets used that way. I also see 414s as drum overheads at gigs, and seem to recall U87s on drums at a Stones gig some time back. I am assuming (until someone adds more info on the subject)that the need for bass rolloff and pop-filtering are the main reasons that the 84 has not been a live vocals choice for many folks?

I find that, while Shure SM58s are ubiquitous as live vocal mics, they also leave a lot to be desired in terms of sound.
Mark Lemaire

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 02:22:47 AM »

Controlling 'plosives in a microphone with axially mounted capsule (KM84) is close to impossible without lots of acoustic trickery in front of and around the capsule (KMS84) to deflect the onslaught of LF sound pressure.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 08:17:53 AM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Tue, 06 April 2010 02:17

For what it's worth:
Neil Young has used KM84 (modified) for many years for his live performances in halls small, medium and very large, on acoustic guitars (CSN&Y) as well as drum overheads (Crazy Horse).

All due respect for Neil's FOH engineer [who I've met a few times but can't recall the name at the moment], this is not uncommon by any stretch of the imagination.

While most acoustic guitars in these situations use internal pickups, many still use microphones [especially in smaller venues]... condensers are not "forbidden" by any stretch of the imagination.

Without blowing my employers horn, I can faithfully say that I know of at least a dozen tours that are using condenser microphones [both lg. and small diaphragm] on everything from drum overheads to guitar cabinets.  I know of 3 "major" tours that are using stereo lg. diaphragm condenser microphones with tube amplifiers for drum overhead duties [and why not, the stands are built into the drum riser so it's not a nightly setup struggle... and the use of a "stereo mic" helps keep the audio "true" while lowering the profile of the microphone in the sight lines as to not get in the way of the 'rear wall projection video' behind the band].

The days of the myth that only dynamic mics could be used in sound reinforcement applications began to dissolve in the late 1980's and has all but disappeared.  Every Rolling Stones tour since "Steel Wheels" [1989] has used U-87's for drum overheads... Aerosmith led the way in the use of ribbon mics on live guitar cabinets [mid-90's]... on some of the later Frank Zappa tours they were carrying RCA 77-DX's for the horn section [it looked cool, and sounded GREAT!!].

The list goes on.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Andres Gonzalez

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Tue, 06 April 2010 02:17

For what it's worth:

For a studio application, using a KM84/KM86 for vocal works for me, but the vocalist cannot eat the mic. Just look at the picture above of Frank Sinatra, he is at least a foot away from the mic.

But in my experience, they will not work if the singer is eating the mic or up very close. The KM84 is the most susceptible mic to 'plosives I have ever used.

Klaus Heyne

Controlling 'plosives in a microphone with axially mounted capsule (KM84) is close to impossible without lots of acoustic trickery in front of and around the capsule (KMS84) to deflect the onslaught of LF sound pressure.

Is this the modification you were referring to earlier regarding Neil Young's modified KM84?  It seems to me that any modification that would reduce the 'plosives would also effect the sound quality in an adverse way. I guess that is why it is "trickery"

-Andres

Ted Olausson

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 03:14:40 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 07 April 2010 07:17

The days of the myth that only dynamic mics could be used in sound reinforcement applications began to dissolve in the late 1980's and has all but disappeared.

Its not too uncommon to use condensers on everything except the snare bottom. Even for loud hardrock acts, like for instance the hellacopters european farewelltour, aswell as small clubgigs with only a handful of guests.
-Personally i think condensers made for livework (like milabs) are much better than a shure in soundquality, stagebleed, and especially feedback supression...

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 09:19:16 PM »

Andres Gonzalez wrote on Wed, 07 April 2010 07:56

Klaus Heyne

Is this the modification you were referring to earlier regarding Neil Young's modified KM84?  It seems to me that any modification that would reduce the 'plosives would also effect the sound quality in an adverse way. I guess that is why it is "trickery"

No. I was not involved in the design of Neumann's KMS series, and was not referring to it as the modification of a KM84. The mod I refer to increases the KM8x's sensitivity, low end, output and a few other things, and that was why I mentioned it: EVEN with the type of modifications that should make it even harder to use such a mic live, it still works, when a good FOH engineer is at the helm.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Mark Lemaire

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 01:33:43 AM »

Glad to see others noting how condensors are showing up on many professional's stages and disproving the myth that they are feedback monsters.

I do agree that using the 84 live and up-close requires a foam pop filter. I priced the three straight foam 'puffballs' that Neumann sells-- between $30 and $40 each. The 4.95 version from Windtech is working fine for me at this time.

I have been using this setup for a week now, getting to know the pickup pattern better. I am pretty easy on a mic- quiet singer, not really 'eating' it. Working fine. But I would not put it up on a bandstand for just any singer to perform with- too fussy, fragile, and expensive.
Mark Lemaire

Fletcher

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »

Mark Lemaire wrote on Thu, 08 April 2010 01:33

Glad to see others noting how condensors are showing up on many professional's stages and disproving the myth that they are feedback monsters.

Indeed a myth... the other thing is that since "in ear" monitors have become more widely accepted stage volumes have decreased dramatically.  Condensers are still tricky in small and medium sized "bar" venues, but from "soft seat" and up they're as common as grass in suburbia.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Ted Olausson

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Thu, 08 April 2010 08:03

Condensers are still tricky in small and medium sized "bar" venues

It depends on the particular mic more than anything else...

My favourite condensers (Milab LC-28               http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/0/25521/48/1582 7/#msg_411050) dont have any problems in situations where a beta58 wont cut it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p01vl0JJn1g
Notice that this is the stagesound in the corner next to the guitaramplifier (behind the PA and out of reach for the vocal monitor) but the vocals from a soft singing girl are still easily to distinguish.
-Even if it is easy to hear that it has been echoed forth and back a couple of times in the venue before reaching the camera...

Here is another shot with hardrock on an extremly small stage in medieval catacombs with a lot of condensers in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2yVWEEPoDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PPp1RiNtBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNyEQ3ErbM

A total of more than 120 amateurbands passed these two venues during these three weeks and none of them had a problem...
Standardsetting on both stages were 4 vocals (milab) 3 guitars (milab) and a various of other instruments from glockenspiel to god knows what and all of those were also milabs, drums were condensers too including the kick.

A much larger stage, and here you can see a bunch of condenser again, but its not much that is heard thru the cameras distortion...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goruSTg9_x0

Another kind of hard and loud music, where condensers are used for their ability to resist feedback and then is distorted electronically for the right effect.
(the guy in the white clothes is actually whispering <- this guy later bouht a condenser to avoid his endless feedbackproblems and has been happy with it thereafter)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WufFeLlpX48

Obey the condenser on stage.. Very Happy
index.php/fa/14638/0/
-This is from a consert with the german group melotron in 2005.
http://www.melotron.com/

Tomas Danko

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 06:08:02 AM »

Looks like Tech-Noir to me.

I was in the crowd at this very concert!

Sure sounded good to me. Smile
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Ted Olausson

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 07:01:18 AM »

Yes it was Smile I have done most concerts for the club technoir since 2004? i think.
There were some problems with the promixityeffect on the leadsinger so i had to keep one hand ready to compensate for that thru the whole concert, but that was all.
It was a very nice and friendly band and i really enjoyed to work with them so its a bit sad that they ended up in the european music contest and didnt come back in 2007 as promised.

gk

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »

I bought a KMS84 many years back and it's a great vocal mic.  Very warm and clear, and has a good natural sound reach. Also a good utility mic for just about anything, with the windscreen, which removes easily if desired-    jerry

Mark Lemaire

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »

I have never- before today- heard of the KMS84. Looked it up and found some interesting photos! A few questions to the experts:

Did this mic ever catch on as a vocal mic?

What were it's years of manufacture? Number made?

Is it actually a KM84- but with extra windscreening and shockmounting?
Mark Lemaire

compasspnt

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 09:13:45 PM »

This website

http://www.radiomuseum.org/m/neumann_d_en_1.html

says this about the KM84:

Introduced: 1966
Kondensatormikrofon, Nierencharakteristik.

David Satz

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »

The KMS 84 was introduced in 1977 and produced until 1991. Its pages from the English-language version of Neumann's Catalog 100 (1977) are attached.

--best regards

Fletcher

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »

That said, they never really caught on as a wide use microphone for vocals in the music world.  Over the years I have seen them on many speaking podiums [mostly at colleges and universities].

FWIW, I found them an exceptional microphone for guitar amps both live and in the studio as the grill screen helped reduce "wind blast" problems.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Hallams

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 11:54:02 PM »

+1 for the KM85 for vocal duties and live stage work. Having the HPF makes it a better choice than the 84 on many live applications. I have had a pair for 5 years now but one is in need of a bit of work as it is down in output a few dB compared to it's paired mate.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 12:04:55 AM »

... if you consider a higher diaphragm tension on an otherwise stock KM84 mic a "High Pass Filter"...
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

jetbase

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 12:26:49 AM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Tue, 13 April 2010 14:04

... if you consider a higher diaphragm tension on an otherwise stock KM84 mic a "High Pass Filter"...

Klaus, is it intended to have the same result... and does it? Are there any advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks,
Glenn
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 02:48:09 AM »

Me thinks, doing it "organic", with just  the diaphragm tension, may have less audible side effects than doing it with an NFB circuit.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Johns

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »

Another up for the KMS84.  I use mine in the studio all the time.  When I am recording a live concert, I try to talk to the foh person to use it on vocals, and it has always sounded great.  Removing the wind screen allows it to be used in other instrument situations.  Very nice mic.

Sarusan

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »

Can anyone tell me what the material is supposed to be inside of the grill of a KMS84?  I've not been able to use mine on vocals because the low frequencies roll-off far too high with the grill on.  With the grill off, it more or less matches a KM84 with the pad selected.  I don't know if it's visible from the picture but mine has a thick black cloth/felt like material.  Hard to tell if this is how the mic came or was added after the fact.

Thanks,
Steven

index.php/fa/14712/0/

Sarusan

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 08:57:36 PM »

And because it hasn't appeared in this thread, a pic of the KMS84:

index.php/fa/14714/0/

Sarusan

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »

And the capsule with the grill off:

index.php/fa/14715/0/

Mark Lemaire

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 12:02:08 AM »

Great photos! Looks like a standard 84 cap. On the amplifier, though, I see a rolloff switch. Is the -10 pad also on the KMS84?

By the way- have been using an 84 on close lead vocals now at several gigs with nothing added but a simple foam 'puffball' and the bass shelved down. Works great- no problem with 'plosives.
Mark Lemaire

Sarusan

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »

The pad is a permanent part of the circuit.  It also has a low frequency roll-off for plosives and a slight dip around 7khz for sibilance.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 16 queries.