R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ribbon Mic mods  (Read 10527 times)

audiowonderland

Ribbon Mic mods
« on: March 30, 2010, 01:05:27 PM »

I have a pair of Nady RSM-2's and an Apex 205. They serve their purpose and I like them well enough. I have read in a number of places that upgrades ( probably more accurately called repairs or proper setup) of these mics can bring significant benefit.

Has anyone had their mics modded by Michael Joly or similar tech? I have read up on what they do and could "probably" do the work but with no experience and no desire to sacrifice them for the purpose of education I am leaning towards letting a pro do the work assuming of course its worth it.

compasspnt

Re: Ribbon Mic mods
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »

These mics need better transformers.

audiowonderland

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 05:02:38 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 30 March 2010 15:06

These mics need better transformers.

Not surprising. Thanks for the feedback Terry. In a perfect world I would just get a Royer or similar but the budget for that just isn't there. A transformer upgrade would be much less expensive so I will certainly consider that.

I like what ribbons do. The proper choice of Ribbon vs Dynamic vs Condenser goes a long way in getting a mix together without extensive doctoring of tracks IMO. Of late I find myself using them more and more. They just seem to add something to the sound kind of like tape does vs DAW. Both have there place but they give you different things.

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »

We've done a lot with Oliver at TAB on improving these xfrmrs.

Not trying to promote, just trying to rid the world of the current Chinese xfrmrs...

http://www.compasspointstudios.com/bulldog/ribbon_xfrmr.html

Marik

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »

Audiowonderland wrote on Tue, 30 March 2010 18:05

I have a pair of Nady RSM-2's and an Apex 205. They serve their purpose and I like them well enough. I have read in a number of places that upgrades ( probably more accurately called repairs or proper setup) of these mics can bring significant benefit.

Has anyone had their mics modded by Michael Joly or similar tech? I have read up on what they do and could "probably" do the work but with no experience and no desire to sacrifice them for the purpose of education I am leaning towards letting a pro do the work assuming of course its worth it.

Hello Audiowonderland,

The very first thing I'd suggest would be to re-ribbon your mics with thinner foil, as it will make much more difference than a transformer swap. The problem is ALL Chinese ribbon mics use 4-6 micron materials, which are much heavier, have restricted sensitivity, and severe resonance modes.

Depending on your sonic preferences you might want to leave the perforated screens on, and ask for an additional damping screen.

A new high quality transformer would be a nice final touch. Since it seems it is OK to plug in the products here, I have my own, Made in USA line of high end torroidal ribbon transformers. They are low loss, low distortion, and extremely low DCR, which results in low noise.

Unlike generic " fit it all" types, they are customized to ANY particular ribbon with impedance, inductance, damping, turn ratio, and frequency response.

Best,
Mark Fouxman
Samar Audio & Microphone Design
www.samaraudiodesign.com

bigbone

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 18 queries.