R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wall of Shame-Video  (Read 23378 times)

Oliver Archut

Re: The Wall of Shame-Video
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 01:13:52 AM »

The 47 seems like either a very well treated 47 or a Neumann refurbish (they still do that). I would be surprised if it would turn out to be a Wunder or Flea, because the dome is all the way right.

The Shockmount looks pretty much like a Neumann one...

Best regards,
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

Martin Kantola

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »

Doesn't really matter which mic once you run it trough autotune/melodyne... That sound still makes me sick.

But I'm happy they got together for a good cause.

Martin

Fletcher

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »

The "vocoder" stuff reminded me of one of the Superbowl
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

David Bock

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 12:14:39 AM »

Klaus,
I'm not sure I understand your premise clearly. Is it possible for you to re-state it?
thanks,
David

bigbone

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 12:27:24 AM »

dbock wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 00:14

Klaus,
I'm not sure I understand your premise clearly. Is it possible for you to re-state it?
thanks,
David

Reading his post, it looks like all the new mics sound (terrible), and they are not at par
with the old ones....

JN

Caco

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 01:30:40 AM »

I've been following this forum and the shame is how Klaus misleads the readers about what a microphone really is. In order to state the value of a vintage mic it is not necessary to keep smashing the reputation of the modern microphone makers and their continuous effort and dedication.

He works with vintage mics and makes a living out of them, so no surprise when he hypes their reputation.

(I take all comers, make the bulk of my income with mics that are currently made, issued a modern, non-vintage, non-copy mic ten years ago, and have never had a desire to market still another copy of an old mic. If you don't understand my comments as a lament about the present, rather than an ode to the past, I failed. K.H.)

The surprise is how he ignores the efforts and even the factory that had his signature mic built. He talks about it as if Brauner only gave him the tools and he made the magic. Brauner, Bock, Tele USA, NU47, DPA etc etc are GREAT microphone makers.

Microphone is a matter of taste like any other instruments and we all know that many other great pieces were made with modern microphones.

B.

Caco

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 01:43:48 AM »

Not to mention SONY. They've kicked some tails with the C800g. Great mic!

J.J. Blair

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 03:39:19 AM »

Oliver Archut wrote on Sat, 13 February 2010 22:13

The 47 seems like either a very well treated 47 or a Neumann refurbish (they still do that). I would be surprised if it would turn out to be a Wunder or Flea, because the dome is all the way right.

The Shockmount looks pretty much like a Neumann one...

Best regards,

I was going to say the same thing.  The grill being the give away that it's not FLEA.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

kats

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 08:52:15 AM »

T-USA do not have domed head baskets FYI. They still show a picture of it on their old U47 ads, but look at their U48 pics - flat top. So, the flat topped head basket is not a "tell tale" sign of a real U47.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Oliver Archut

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »

Telefunken USA do not have domed head baskets FYI.

Not anymore, that is right about two years ago or so Telefunken started to make their own 47 parts, their headgrill does not have the Milos like domed head, but it does not look identical to Neumann ones either. The top is about 30% higher than original ones.

Best regards,

Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

Fletcher

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »

kats wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 08:52

T-USA do not have domed head baskets

First, Oliver is correct, the baskets do rise a bit more than the original Neumann, but not by much... coupla millimeters at most.

More importantly, the suffix to the company name "l USA" is deader than fried chicken.

The name of the company is now TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik.  Feel free to refer to the company as "New Tele" or "T-Ela" but "T-USA" has been the wrong name for close to a year now.

Thanx for your patience and understading.

Peace.

CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Barry Hufker

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 01:26:51 PM »

As long as we're discussing the name, it should be Telefunken and not TELEFUNKEN.  Telefunken is a name and not an acronym. Therefore it should not be capitalized throughout.  Sony attempts to do the same thing -- and as important as one would like to believe one's self to be, it is still only a name.

Barry

Oliver Archut

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »

Telefunken here in the USA changed their name several times, from Telefunken North America, to Telefunken USA and now whatever. In the end it is still the same, even the legal issues have changed.

Regarding the head grill, it is 30% compared to the Neumann average basket (they varied 1 to 3 mm over the years).

Regards,

Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 02:38:07 PM »

dbock wrote on Sun, 14 February 2010 21:14

Klaus,
thanks, David

Gladly.
The video shows today's top popular recording stars at work in several world-class recording studios contributing (not faking) their vocal parts to a song intended to raise money for Haitian earthquake victims.

In the overwhelming majority of the vocals on this recording (and pretty much all other top-shelf vocals sung by top-shelf artists) the mics used are very old. With very few exceptions, that is still the norm today.

The video shows and condenses nicely something that seems like an anachronism in technology: heavy use of devices that are decades old in a technology field where the half-life of gear (think DAWs A-to-D's, storage media, etc, etc.) is rarely longer than two years, if even that long.

Regarding progress in microphones: all of today's larger manufacturers, and most of the boutique shops are concentrating on that old technology. Unless you regard as progress touting the look, technical features, names, and company logos of forty or fifty year-old mics, not to mention ads that keep harping on 'vintage' this and 'vintage' that for their current models.

If manufacturers would admit that nothing better than what was done decades ago can be produced today, and that the old bones cannot be improved upon, that would be one thing I could (for a little while longer) live with. But that is not the case: we get ever more technologically truncated and visually butchered semi-copies of the real thing (have you seen the current copy of the AKG C414EB?) accompanied by brazen advertisements claiming similar performance as the old workhorses. And that I find shameful, because it is deception.

So much for an attempt at an answer to David.

Others excuse the heavy vintage representation in the video with "that's what they happen to have in their studio". But that is not a valid argument, in my opinion. The top-shelf facilities do have the budget to replace gear in that price range at the drop of a hat, if they thought they could improve their microphone closet, image, or reputation.

Furthermore, blaming me as the messenger for the unpleasant message because I may have inferior, selfish motives does not address the issue: why do we still keep recording our most critical material with mics that are many decades old- if we are lucky enough to own them or can afford to purchase them?
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Fletcher

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 04:32:03 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 13:26

As long as we're discussing the name, it should be Telefunken and not TELEFUNKEN.

Ya know, I agree with you, but TELEFUNKEN Holdings, GmbH says its supposed to be capitalized and I'm just following orders...

FWIW, I think the 800G, the KHE, and a few others have shown that "old bones can be rivaled" if not beaten.

Point absolutely taken that what we expect from a microphone was defined decades ago and that MOST new product is trying to live up to the ghost of products past in one way or another... but a few have taken a stab at innovation, and I dare say there will be more to follow in their footsteps.

...or at least I hope they will try to innovate, it would be a real shame if people stopped  trying in that department.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 19 queries.