R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transparent Audio, meet Dr. Zobel of Bell Labs...  (Read 63342 times)

Ronny

Re: Transparent Audio, meet Dr. Zobel of Bell Labs...
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2005, 05:55:27 PM »

dcollins wrote on Sun, 17 April 2005 17:20

AlanS wrote on Sun, 17 April 2005 12:50

Brian,
Have you tried blind-testing the files with a DAW or something like  PC ABX?  

I heard someone refer to wire tests as "faith-based" the other day...

DC

Just wait until everything goes wireless and most of it will one day, people will argue over whether a 900 MHz transmission cuts out more of the air frequencies between 27k and 32k than a 950 MHz transmission.

I can't wait.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Level

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2005, 07:37:03 PM »

They Have Ronny, its called 2.2ghz...subjectively better for telephones.....

Of course...some, won't be happy unless it is 50ghz.

Rolling Eyes  
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Ronny

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2005, 12:31:31 AM »

Level wrote on Sun, 17 April 2005 19:37

They Have Ronny, its called 2.2ghz...subjectively better for telephones.....

Of course...some, won't be happy unless it is 50ghz.

Rolling Eyes  

They'be had X-treme Wire out for a year or so now, maybe two, that is a digital wireless system for mics, guitars, basses etc. The digital encrypted send is said to be bleed free from other wireless devices that send freqs in that same range, so that if there are venues with several bands playing simutataneous at different ends of an arena and using the same transmission freq's or large hall, outdoor festival with multi stages or any sitation where artists are transmitting on the same bandwidths without being far distance from each other, the send and receive being encrypted digital eliminates the chance of bleed because each transmission will have it's own scrambler and descrambler at the reciever. It also claims absolutely no EMI or RFI issues. I dont't see too far off in the future that digital wireless encrypted will take the place of mic cables, speaker wires, you name it. It's just a mater of time before it gets cheap enough to trickle down to the consumer and cable debates will either become moot or the argument will segue to the transmission mediums. This is the future, no doubt about. One day, maybe not in my old lifetime, but with some of the youngsters on the forum, they will see cables only in special circumstances and running SR or configuring studio cables will be a matter of sending digital encrypted wireless.

You mentioned phones, Bill, the audio industry is always behind ATT or phone technology and we've based 90 percent of whats designed on the pioneers like Nyquist and others that worked at Bell lab for 30 year, but cell phones are about as popular as land lines these day. Wireless technology in any form, is the investment for the future when it will comes to archaic cables, one day.

Now that we are guitar chords and have a few expert ears that can figure out what the tunes that they are covering note for note. I'd like to bring up something that has been plaguing me for years. I've recorded at least 10 bands in the past 20 years where they covered Eric Claptons "Wonderful Tonight", this song is without a doubt one of the most controversial tunes that no one can agree on the exact chord progressoins, mainly the second chord. It starts out "its late in the evening" Evening being the second chord. Half the keyboards play a Bm on the second chord, half of them play a D add F#, most guitars play a stick D chord, some play the Bm. What I hear is not a chord but Eric Clapton picking single notes, he also overdubs a lead riff fill, on another guitar track, but I'm talking about the single note guitar track where he's play arpeggios. So what do you guys hear on that, a Bm or a D major, remember, just like Poyser was saying, it's typically easy for the guitarist to listen to the bass and get the root, but in the case of Wonderful Tonight, the bass is playing an F# on the second measure, which is not the root of either Bm or DaddF#, so what do some of you guitar folks like Poyser who can hear notes more clear than most people hear on this second chord in Wonderful Tonight where EC sings evening; G It's late in the D or Bm when he sings the word "evening". Poyser I'll like to hear your golden ear opinion on it. And andone else that can decypher the exact guitar arpeggion on the second note on guitar when the gass is playing the F#.  

Sorry brad I know it ain't a mastering topic, but I sure would like to hear what other say, is  D major, a D major add 3, or a Bm that is starting the arpeggio with an F#. All inputs from guitarist and keyboardist are quite welcome.

Thanks,
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------