R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "Beginings"- Care to share?  (Read 5837 times)

CHANCE

Re: "Beginings"- Care to share?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 01:27:01 PM »

Surely some of us had a Roberts R to R, yes?
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

Spiritwalkerpro

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 06:53:52 PM »

Can't say that I ever considered reel to reels when I was starting.  My dad had a portable one in the 1970's that he used to drag out at parties.  I thought they were a pain.  A couple of guys in our town used to drag out sony r to r's and realistic mixers, the small gold box ones, and record bands.  I thought they were a pain.  

Once I started writing music and hearing arrangements in my head I needed a way to get them down.  In the mid 1970's I converted a room in our house with packing blankets and used a Biamp mixer, two cassette decks and a guitar tuner to bounce tracks.  That's what hooked me on recording.

I still do recordings and write music, but now I also sit in a room with 7 Reel to reel recorders and racks of cassette decks and do audio archiving.  10 years ago I digitized my Dad's collection of r to r tapes and found a recording of my grandmother on one of the tapes.  It's the only known recording of her.  That's what hooked me on audio archiving.

Blackie Pawless

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »

Typical Beatles Ed Sullivan epiphany moment though I was only 5. Too young to be prejudiced musically in the 60's so I loved everything.  Hendrix /  Yardbirds /  Dean Martin /Glen Campbell etc.. , as well as all the cheesy Top 40 hits. First paying session was playing drums in 1975.  Usual assortment of garage bands playing various instruments.
     In !979 I bought TEAC 4 track R/R and sat in the basement for 2 years bouncing tracks like a man possessed trying to recreate what I thought I was hearing on my favorite records.   Emerged in the daylight in 81 and got gig at big studio in Atlanta (the original Southern Tracks location).   They were kind enough to let me have the facility to myself in the wee hours to record my songs and figure things out (Harrison console/Ampex 24 track).
    Moved to  Nashville in 1982 to avoid a real job at all cost. I've been here ever since recording/producing/mixing/playing/writing. This has to last cause at this point I am qualified for absolutely nothing else. And that's okay.
Scott Baggett

mcsnare

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 08:06:53 PM »

Scott, you're story and timeline is shockingly simillar to mine!

Dave

Blackie Pawless

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 08:47:25 PM »

Hey Dave, Yeah I thought we were about the same age. I'm still using tricks I stole from you when we were mixing that Webb Wilder record in Burbank a million years ago. I'll holler at you on FB and we'll catch up.
Scott Baggett

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 08:48:56 PM »

My mother told me I was six (1952) when I first pulled the back from the console radio in the living room to see from where the voices and music were coming.
Radio and television, which arrived a year later in our house, fascinated me.
I started building mock consoles and radios out of cardboard boxes.
There are many pictures in the family album of me "playing radio."
By 1959, I was building actual radio projects (remember the Knight Kit Radio Broadcaster?) and a little console with a mic (Starlight Crystal) and two of those RCA 45rpm record changers.
I used a germanium rocket radio connected to a scavenged amp and headphones for a monitor.
By '61, I managed to talk myself into the local radio station, volunteering to fill the pop machine, lug the remote console up and down the stairs and any other job that needed doing.
That led to a 15 minute high school radio program every week and a pass into the engineering department and a wonderful mentor who taught me everything about audio.
It was a great 45 year career in radio and tv, both on-air and engineering.
Semi-retired now, still doing engineering and consulting on a free lance basis and still doing voice work for a number of clients around the world and I enjoy helping others when I can answer questions here and on several other forums.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

jwhynot

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 01:06:32 AM »

Scott - mine too.

For years I suspected my memory of the Sullivan appearance.  I "knew" I'd seen it but when they played the tapes it just didn't look familiar.

Then in '95 with all that Anthology hoopla, they played the repeat from a week later and bingo!

So I DID see it.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 19 queries.