R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How To make Your Own Condenser Mic  (Read 41745 times)

wrekdahouse

Re: How To make Your Own Condenser Mic
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »

D. Uwins wrote on Sat, 06 February 2010 00:11

This thread is too funny. Thanks for the laughter!

(...) what is with Uruguay? A Swiss friend of mine wants to retire there. Or did you just randomly think of that Klaus?

Hello, sorry for the off-topic, Uruguay is one of the ultimate paradises of the world, were some of the beaches remain untouched, were nature rules and people are very easy-going. Also it is known as the South American 'Monte Carlo', were all the "wealthy" people of South America go to have their summer vacations...  you can get hippie life or full luxury access..it is a very nice place. A lot of European people also go there for vacation and for living too. Check google earth: uruguay/colonia, montevideo, punta del este, rocha, la paloma, la pedrera, balizas, cabo polonio, oceania del polonio.  nice places...

Also here in Argentina happens the same,
and quoting Klaus:

"Not really random. Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina and other South American countries were favourite destinations and well-liked hiding places for German fugitives of a certain political persuasion in the not too distant past."

I find Patagonia and specially Bariloche is very much like Germany, speaking about the morphology of the place, it is very East-German...the mountains, the climate, food, even the architecture is influenced...  there was a lot of construction made by Germans there during "that period" and no wonder they came here- you can tell they felt pretty like being at home...that, plus the covered clearence of their passes sadly made by our government of that time...

curious data (still off-topic): in Uruguay, there is a place 40 minutes from the capital, at the coast, hidden in the woods upon the beach, were you can find a sculpture of an eagle of about 50 meters of wingspan facing the sea, made by a German artist from that era, were he had his atelier in what is the head of the eagle (two floors high at least)...  locals claim that the eagle, yes, that eagle, is looking to a specific point that if you traced it straight on a map, you can reach some place in Germany... it wouldn't be so hard to prove nowadays with a GPS...  I am going to Uruguay soon, so maybe I will check it out.

Again, sorry for drifting off the topic.
Patricio Claypole

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »

Your narrative will probably start an end run on those hidden Uruguayan treasures by various recording types. Clearly off the topic, but clearly fascinating. Thank you!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

kats

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 10:13:08 AM »

wrekdahouse wrote on Wed, 10 February 2010 17:38

hidden in the woods upon the beach, were you can find a sculpture of an eagle of about 50 meters of wingspan facing the sea, made by a German artist from that era,

There were some excellent German sculptors from that generation - a lot of grave stones needed to be made during WW1, so it was a decent living as well. My Grandfather sculpted an official war memorial for the fallen German soldiers of WW1. It was a 20ft high statue of St. Peter holding a dead soldier in his arms.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Dale Ulan

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 10:35:07 AM »

I think I'd almost want to move to Turks and Caicos. Nice and warm, and they wanted to join up with Canuckistan. If Jamaica and a certain country could have come to an agreement in 1884, I might have wanted to visit there. I'd still be in my own country but I would not have to rely on Dave Lennox to keep warm.

I put gold on about 120 diaphragms yesterday. A tropical destination sounds good after all of that. Let's see - air leak that took me about two hours to find, a cranky bell-jar gasket seal, one seal suck-in (that can ruin the diffusion pump oil but I guess I was lucky), and two or three diaphragms fell off of the tray into the vacuum grease on the baseplate.
Dale Ulan
10000 Cows Recording Studio
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

compasspnt

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »

Can't recommend T & C terribly much...very hot, pretty dusty and wasteland-like in places.  It's really the southernmost island group in The Bahamas but we didn't want it. Government extremely corrupt, and were just put on serious notice by the UK.

Where we are, we get a "little bit of cool" at least, and therefor a sense of the seasons, but never below 60 F. And not nearly so hot in the Summer.

I might could find you an office in our building...

tskguy

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have spent time over at the prodigy DIY for a few years now. I have built 4 mics so far 2 tube g7's and 2 ribbons of my own design. I have recently started to TRY and build some capsules as well. Let me be very clear I am not trying to build these to sell!! My goal is to try and provide some other DIY friends a different alternative to whats available for mics. I also am a gluten for punishment and always love a challenge. One thing Ive noticed is that most guys already doing this are for some reason a little secretive about some of the process/ sources of info. Like glue and ring terminals and mylar.  Dale's web site has very good info and I cant thank him enough for what he has provided the DIY community! The hardest part of the process for me has been trying to source the actual evaporated mylar. I was fortunate to locate a source so I am at least able to move forward with drilling some holes with my cnc machine. This thread is interesting to me because of the way the original poster was in some ways dismissed. Why not try and help??

Thanks

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 05:28:11 PM »

As forum host I feel compelled to answer why someone's efforts to build a condenser mic is not taken as seriously here as it may be taken at a DIY forum:

This is not a do-it-yourself forum where people exchange knowledge about their experiences of building condenser mics.
This is a forum, as  elaborated in the "Ground Rules", that concentrates on EXISTING microphones, readily available to recording professionals. It also deals with the experiences said professionals have had using professional recording mics.

I personally support the DIY community with lots of free advice and sometimes endlessly long e-mail exchanges about a specific micro-aspect of building. I also beta test microphone products that are nearing release.

But this is not the forum for such endeavours or their discussion. Yours is simply a different sub-category of the microphone community, with different focus and orientation. Hence the somewhat humorous treatment of the thread-starter's quest.

It's the best of both worlds: use each type of forum where it's most authoritative, and you will be ahead.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

tskguy

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 11:43:27 AM »

That makes sense!  
I was just a little taken back by some of the elitist response by even some of the very well known capsule guys that used be part of the DIY community. This forum is a great place for microphone knowledge and I thank you for it! There is a large amount of info on here. I could read for days...

Eric

Tim Campbell

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 01:27:16 PM »

Eric,
I'm not sure what you mean by elitist responses. I just reread this thread and think you may have misinterpreted someone.

I found the replies given by those that build capsules to be helpful and to the point.

If people aren't more forthcoming about the intricacies of capsule buiding it's most likely because the majority of information is garnered empirically and so becomes proprietary.
Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk

tskguy

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »

Tim,
You are right, I chose my words poorly. You and Dale have always been a great source of information, so I humbly apologize for that statement.
I may have been venting some of my own personal frustration in finding info regarding building capsules.

With the help of  your posts and Dales website I have built a few capsules that actually work Smile I am in the process of working with a local company to get some gold evaporated on to some mylar.
Hopefully it will work out.

If I'm successful I would be willing to help out some other DIY capsule builders. What I have found is that most capsule builders and repair folks have gone down the long road of sourcing mylar and find it too valuable to part with.

That being said I have been able to find Mylar completely coated but I have been building a center- terminated design and that won't work for me. I need a 25mm target!  

Eric

Dale Ulan

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 07:35:23 PM »

If you have seen the photos in the Neumann book, that's basically how it's done. The photos on my website also show the masks used to make that round spot. The process of coating diaphragms is surprisingly similar to some of the steps of manufacturing transistors and IC's.

It is true that the people who have figured out how to build these things don't really want to part with the information that easily. It is very much like going to your mechanic and asking for advice on how to fix your car yourself.
Dale Ulan
10000 Cows Recording Studio
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.