R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help In Wiring Stereo Mic Cable Connecters from a Molded one  (Read 3327 times)

,,deda,, Tim Porter

Help In Wiring Stereo Mic Cable Connecters from a Molded one
« on: October 03, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »

Good day or night depending on your part of the World. I need help in selecting the correct connectors and wiring instructions for the Sony F-99S Single Point Stereo microphone shown in the attached photos. I am also curious what Single Point means as well if anyone knows.

I just needed a inexpensive stereo mic, paid 99 cents, for my Tascam DA-P1 for a quickie on the porch. As you can see there are only 2 wires per capsule in the pic., a copper ground and yellow wire for the left which is the picture and a silver wire of some sort for ground and a white wire for the right capsule.

My DA-P1 has XLR inputs and line in and out RCA's. With the fact there only the 2 wires per side make my only choice RCA's, one right one left.

I've yet to cut off the molded plug and I would like to have a correct path forward before I do. The plug is 3 prong, above the outside prongs the mold has a L and a R for left and right of course. I think the center prong is to turn the recorder on and off. This would have each prong carrying 2 lines. I had one guy tell me to attach old tip to pin 2 and old sleeve to pin 1 and pin 3. He had wired some Sony Dynamic Pencil mics this way. Anyone with an opinion on this approach?

When I Goggled this mic today there was one on eBay for $89.99 BIN so my .99 cents looked good. I then saw a link to a Frank Zappa Database which was a complete list of all his shows from 1963 to 1992 in an Exell cell format. You could click on June 26 1974 and a page opened with info from venue, town, gear, engineer, all of the play lists, etc. etc. etc. This was for every damn show Frank Zappa ever did for 30 years an amazing amount of information for Zappa freaks.

The reason Frank Zappa was on the Sony mic Goggle page was that he used it and a Sony recorder to record many concerts in the mid 70's mostly at the smaller venues.

Any help would be appreciated, regards ,,deda,,
http://i33.tinypic.com/2yltiyo.jpg

"Practice does not make Perfect, Perfect Practice makes Perfect" Vince Lombardi

ssltech

Re: Help In Wiring Stereo Mic Cable Connecters from a Molded one
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:49:41 AM »

I used to own one of those.

You cannot make it work as a 'normal' mic into XLRs.

It uses a low DC back-voltage from the recorder. The two 3.5mm plugs are signal left and right. The 2.5mm plug in the middle is a remote stop-start for the capstan motor on the recorder.

-You can't work out what "single-point" means? -It means nothing more than stereo from ONE microphone position.

You would need about 3 volts or so and a resistor, the output would be unbalanced. If you REALLY wanted to, you could use a modified Schoeps-type schematic to balance the output... if you wanted.

However...

having owned, used and abandoned this mic, I can tell you it's really not worth it.

The noise floor is too high, the capsule angle is 180
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

,,deda,, Tim Porter

Re: Help In Wiring Stereo Mic Cable Connecters from a Molded one
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »

ssltech wrote on Sun, 04 October 2009 07:49

I used to own one of those.

You cannot make it work as a 'normal' mic into XLRs.

It uses a low DC back-voltage from the recorder. The two 3.5mm plugs are signal left and right. The 2.5mm plug in the middle is a remote stop-start for the capstan motor on the recorder.

-You can't work out what "single-point" means? -It means nothing more than stereo from ONE microphone position.

You would need about 3 volts or so and a resistor, the output would be unbalanced. If you REALLY wanted to, you could use a modified Schoeps-type schematic to balance the output... if you wanted.

However...

having owned, used and abandoned this mic, I can tell you it's really not worth it.

The noise floor is too high, the capsule angle is 180
http://i33.tinypic.com/2yltiyo.jpg

"Practice does not make Perfect, Perfect Practice makes Perfect" Vince Lombardi
Pages: [1]   Go Up