R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: PT Easter-Eggs, and other usefull unpublished info...  (Read 23718 times)

j.hall

PT Easter-Eggs, and other usefull unpublished info...
« on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »

I'm cleaning up this thread, and making it sticky.  a pretty good list of highly useful shortcuts is developing.  see posts below.

let's keep this thread clean and to the point.

Podgorny

Re: Inactive Plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »

activating, in-active plugs/inputs/outputs

ctrl + option + ⌘ + Click.
Once on each insert slot needed for both mono and stereo tracks.
Shouldn't take more than ten seconds.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

grantis

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:26:51 PM »

Select all tracks you want routed to the same place and hold Shift+Option while clicking on the output.

Works for inputs/plugins/sends too

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:33:52 PM »

scrolling inputs or outputs.  (have them go from 1 - 8 say)

select all the tracks you want

hold shift+option+apple while selecting the input )or output) of the first selected track.

Adam Miller

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:07:35 AM »

apple + alt + tab

tab to transient on/off

maarvold

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:17:07 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Fri, 11 September 2009 20:43

activating, in-active plugs/inputs/outputs

ctrl + option + ⌘ + Click.
Once on each insert slot needed for both mono and stereo tracks.
Shouldn't take more than ten seconds.

Activating, in-active plugs/inputs/outputs on highlighted tracks as a group:

shift + ctrl + option + ⌘ + Click.

Once on each insert/input/output slot needed for both mono and stereo tracks.
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

wwittman

Re: PT Easter-Eggs, and other usefull unpublished info...
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »

assign any track to multiple outputs (a largely 'secret' function) - hold CONTROL and select the additional output or bus... you'll see a + appear next to the selection to tell you that multiple outputs are in effect

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

grantis

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »

Recently discovered this handy "hotkey" or "quick-key".  

"B" is the same function as ⌘ + E (separate region)

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

jetbase

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 06:55:07 PM »

wwittman wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 13:50

assign any track to multiple outputs (a largely 'secret' function) - hold CONTROL and select the additional output or bus... you'll see a + appear next to the selection to tell you that multiple outputs are in effect

That's awesome! You're a lifesaver. At first I couldn't get it to work, since I'm on a PC, but after a while I worked out that the PC equivalent is Start then select the output. Cheers.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

marcel

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »

Anybody know a 'Create New Playlist on Selected Track(s)', or 'Create Duplicate Playlist...' shortcut?  I'd love to figure that out.  I playlist vocal OD takes and sometimes the dropdown of playlists gets (ahem) very large.  Not a situation where you want to spend time scrolling down...
Best, Marcel

Adam Miller

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »

marcel wrote on Tue, 29 September 2009 22:17

Anybody know a 'Create New Playlist on Selected Track(s)', or 'Create Duplicate Playlist...' shortcut?  I'd love to figure that out.  I playlist vocal OD takes and sometimes the dropdown of playlists gets (ahem) very large.  Not a situation where you want to spend time scrolling down...

There isn't one. Having this functionality alone would honestly be more useful to me than any of the new stuff in PT 8.

However- if you click in the playlist box, hitting 'N' will jump you up to the 'create new playlist' bit and 'DU' will jump to the duplicate option. Bit of a pain, but can be faster if you have a really long list to scroll through.

marcel

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »

Adam Miller wrote on Tue, 29 September 2009 17:09

marcel wrote on Tue, 29 September 2009 22:17

There isn't one. Having this functionality alone would honestly be more useful to me than any of the new stuff in PT 8.

However- if you click in the playlist box, hitting 'N' will jump you up to the 'create new playlist' bit and 'DU' will jump to the duplicate option. Bit of a pain, but can be faster if you have a really long list to scroll through.

Thanks Adam, that does help somewhat.  Works with grouped tracks, too...
Best, Marcel

danko

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 03:32:07 AM »

While PTLE still lacks automatic delay compensation, one great hotkey in edit-view is "alt + H" that opens shift window, so you can move the selected regions earlier by the samples caused by plug-in.

Wow, first message on the board! Hope you get that right.  Very Happy

grantis

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »

This is one of those things that everybody might already know, but I didn't know it until I felt the need to watch a Pro Tools instructional DVD.....for the purpose of finding easter eggs.

Option+Click on a ruler in the edit will hide it.  Same goes for Side-bar options (I/O, comments, plugs, sends, etc.)

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)

Etch-A-Sketch

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 02:12:36 PM »

I thought most people knew these, but a few people I've met recently didn't so I'll post them up.

------

'Cntrl' + 'Opt' + '+'or'-' on the NUMPAD changes the grid value up/down.  

-------

Cmd+Opt+ +/- NUMPAD changes nudge values up/down

------

With command focus on,

'P' and ';' move a selection up/down across tracks.  Holding shift while hitting P or ; will add tracks above/below to the selection.

L and ' are the same as Opt+tab and Tab if command focus is on.

------

Opt+Shft+3 consolidates a selection into one continuous audio file.

------

Cmd+Shft+K exports selected regions as audio files (faster than realtime).

------

"Snap to" commands...

Place the cursor somewhere... switch to the grabber tool...

Cntrl+Click on a region will snap the start of the region to the cursor's position.

Cmd+Cntrl+Click will snap the END of a region to the cursor's position (great for reverse snare drums or cymbals)

Cntrl+Shft+Click will snap the region's sync point to the cursor (great for cymbal swells or synth sweeps)

Holding down the option key while doing any of the above snap to commands will COPY the region and make a new region instead of moving it.

------

Cmd + ',' will insert a sync point (looks like a little triangle) into a region at the cursor position.  You can then use sync points to line up audio regions.

-----

Cmd+opt+v does "paste to selection" and will automatically loop and crossfade if the copied audio being pasted is shorter than the selection.  Also, will stop the audio being pasted at the end of the selection.

------

'7' on the Numpad turns the metronome off/on.  

------

'8' on the numpad turns the 2 bar countoff off/on

------

Return key brings you to the top of the session.  Opt+Return brings you to the END of the session.

Shift+Return selects to the top of the session.  Opt+Shft+Return selects to the end of the session

------

Put protools in "suspend automation mode" (Cmd+4Numpad, then click "Suspend" at the top of the window).  Make a selection (say the whole first verse), start looping it and a rough mix going... Once happy with it, Then hit Cmd+Opt+/ to "write all automation parameters to selection".  Then with the verse still selected, choose "copy special-All automation" from the edit Menu.  Select the next verse.  Choose "paste special-All automation" From the edit menu.

Then select the first pre chorus...do the same thing...then the first chorus, do the same thing... and so on... next turn automation back on and listen down from the top in touch mode and do tweaks.  

------

Cmd+Opt+H does "copy to send" command.  It will take any pan, volume, and mute settings and copy it to any send (either copy the automation or use the current value). This is GREAT for setting up headphone cues in protools.  It will take your control room mix and copy it to the different sends then you can tweak each send from there based on the player's needs.

-----

Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado

Josh McArdle

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »

Hi guys,

Is there a shortcut for bringing up an insert on a selected track and scrolling through these?

For example if I had an EQ plug-in on a track could I bring the plug-in window up by using a shortcut and then switch between this and another plug-in on the same track?

I've seen it done where a guy has brought up all inserts on a given track at the same time. Would certainly speed up mixing...

Cheers,
Josh

jetbase

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 04:48:49 PM »

Josh McArdle wrote on Tue, 08 December 2009 05:12

Hi guys,

Is there a shortcut for bringing up an insert on a selected track and scrolling through these?

For example if I had an EQ plug-in on a track could I bring the plug-in window up by using a shortcut and then switch between this and another plug-in on the same track?

I've seen it done where a guy has brought up all inserts on a given track at the same time. Would certainly speed up mixing...

Cheers,
Josh

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but you can click on the first insert to open the plugin in window, then Ctrl + click on any subsequent inserts you wish to have open at the same time (so you have multiple plugin windows open).
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 17 queries.