R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment ergonomics  (Read 72615 times)

compasspnt

Re: Equipment ergonomics
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »

Yes, "as is."

BTW, I had already rolled out a 250 that day, which does look even more like a heater than the heater looks like a heater looks.

Viitalahde

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »

Here's my room & desk in a fairly old photo. The lens makes the speaker placement look wider than it really is.

http://static.studiokuu.fi/images/studio/03.jpg

There's an EQ in that photo that now seems to be in Jonas's rack. This one replaced it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/virtalahde/lceq_front.jpg
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

rankus

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 04:27:38 PM »

jdg wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 11:14

TotalSonic wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 10:51

I've got that same exact space heater for my studio as well!

me 2

Me 4

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

mastertone

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 15:22

Here's my room & desk in a fairly old photo. The lens makes the speaker placement look wider than it really is.

There's an EQ in that photo that now seems to be in Jonas's rack. This one replaced it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/virtalahde/lceq_front.jpg

Yes! I still like it! And the new one looks fantastic! But no more dymo? What the hell man...
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

Viitalahde

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 04:57:40 PM »

mastertone wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 21:54

But no more dymo? What the hell man...

I broke it. Squashed it too many times!
Jaakko Viitalähde
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

hnewman

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 06:36:13 PM »

jdg wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 14:14

me 2

+3.  Mine totally resonates at about E flat, sometimes I have to roll it out of the room it rings so much.

TotalSonic

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »

hnewman wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 18:36

jdg wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 14:14

me 2

+3.  Mine totally resonates at about E flat, sometimes I have to roll it out of the room it rings so much.

The one thing I like about mine as opposed to the built in space heater (with a make circa 1975) that came with the room is that it's pretty much silent.  My Pass Labs X250 is an excellent space heater as well! - which is an advantage in February - but not really all that desirable in August.

Best regards,
Steve Berswon

Silvertone

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 08:37:03 AM »

Personally I just can't have the computer monitor where phantom center is, it just messes me up... having a console in front of me is hard enough.

My room sounds best when I remove everything but the speakers and playback amps but I could never work that way. Like that, I can sit in the 2/3rd's position in the room and enjoy the sound. However, I've had a desk in front of me for 34 years and need it there to do my work. I got use to working this way as such I still sit in the 1/3rd position in the room.  It works... for me.

Open back on the low profile console (always),  low boy slant racks to each side,  space in between the low boy racks and the console, console top slanted for proper refection, eliminate all (or as many) early reflections as possible, high ceiling doesn't hurt either... go...

I have been toying with going the Captain Kirk / bridge of the Star-ship Enterprise route.  One chair in the middle flanked by two low boy racks to each side and then a chair to each side of those for the client(s).  Trying to make the sweet spot big enough for all three...  Next time I clear the room out to have the floors redone (very soon) I might try this and see how I like it.
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »

What about heat dissipation? 19 inch rack based equipment is not really designed to place it face up to the ceiling, and if you really do it well, you should have 1/2 E space free between units on top of each other to have enough air ventilation. These face plates must get pretty hot; ever thought about the shortening of their lifetime?
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Viitalahde

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »

Heat dissipation definately needs to be considered. I don't think equipment should normally be too warm on the face plate (=uncomfortable for keeping your hand on it), let alone hot.

Tube equipment warms up more, obviously. I think the Requisite compressor has a neat way dealing with this - tubes are outside the chassis but in a cavity, so they're not sticking out. I think EAR stuff does that too.

Heat goes up.. So the hottest pieces should be top, right? I currently don't have any ventilation spaces between the equipment, but that's because they're arranged so that they get enough room to breath.

The lifetime is reduced when the innards stay hot and don't ventilate properly, especially for electrolytic capacitors.
Jaakko Viitalähde

TotalSonic

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »

Schallfeldnebel wrote on Sun, 24 May 2009 12:26

What about heat dissipation? 19 inch rack based equipment is not really designed to place it face up to the ceiling, and if you really do it well, you should have 1/2 E space free between units on top of each other to have enough air ventilation. These face plates must get pretty hot;

Mine get plenty warm - but not "hot"

Quote:

ever thought about the shortening of their lifetime?

Sure - one of the reasons I'm one of the "turn it off when not in use" advocates rather than someone who leaves their equipment on 24/7.  I also keep a single rack space empty above my one piece of tube gear (Pendulum OCL-2) after experiencing first hand one of the tubes going bad prematurely prior to doing so.  The fact that my gear doesn't have anything surrounding it in the open Quiklok rack probably helps things to ventilate a little bit. Other than that - I still have a need to keep things compact and so far (knock on wood) haven't experienced problems from gear getting warm.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

compasspnt

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »

You guys are scaredy cats.

There is no need to worry about tube heat dissipation, if you do things right.

Her is a photo of my new "in room" rack cooler being installed last week...

index.php/fa/12346/0/

dcollins

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 24 May 2009 10:17

You guys are scaredy cats.

Indeed.index.php/fa/12352/0/

Mark Wilder

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 07:08:30 PM »

Having worked trough a few rooms recently, I have to say I feel like a rock star in the new room.  Those items I use most often are within the four rack widths in front/side of me.  Those items I rarely touch or that I don't need to adjust while listening are wider out. What is not in the picture is a rear rack between myself and the couch (Sterling, slanted-no casters) with the
XLR patchbay, turntable, DAT, DVD player.  The screen is on a swing arm which allows me to lay it flat while mastering and pull it forward while editing.

I worked long and hard with Dom on the setup of this room.  I wouldn't change a thing.
Mark Wilder

TotalSonic

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »

Mark Wilder wrote on Sun, 24 May 2009 19:08

Having worked trough a few rooms recently, I have to say I feel like a rock star in the new room.  Those items I use most often are within the four rack widths in front/side of me.  Those items I rarely touch or that I don't need to adjust while listening are wider out. What is not in the picture is a rear rack between myself and the couch (Sterling, slanted-no casters) with the
XLR patchbay, turntable, DAT, DVD player.  The screen is on a swing arm which allows me to lay it flat while mastering and pull it forward while editing.

I worked long and hard with Dom on the setup of this room.  I wouldn't change a thing.

Your new room looks beautiful Mark!  

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.