R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: +-18v PSU for neve 8108 channel strips  (Read 4584 times)

OOF!

+-18v PSU for neve 8108 channel strips
« on: July 07, 2004, 02:38:56 PM »

hi john,  i posted a few weeks ago about a pair of 8108 channel strips i'm racking- i figured out the pinouts etc, but cannot find a +-18v psu anywhere.  tried mouser, digi, newark etc.  no dual output 18 volts.  any recommendations?  i bought a 16v aucoin from you about a year ago for a different project, but it only trims up to 17.3v.   might you have a dual 18v for sale?  thanks, as  always,
david lawrence
nyc

also, i assume i take the multitrack L output from the ribbon as my output( and pan left).  there are a lot of choices....

ssltech

Re: +-18v PSU for neve 8108 channel strips
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 05:38:38 PM »

Won't you also need +48V fore the phantom also?

If so, you might this:
http://www.beatbazar.com/guests/ssltech/kps-1/index.htm

assuming that the 81xx modules dont need loads of current at
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

John Klett

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »

If you are racking whole input modules you should note that each module has it's own pair of regulators.  The console supplies are unregulated + and - 24 volts.  The whole console draws quite a bit of current.  I am not sure if I have an actual spec for the current draw but I expect that is would be as much as 100-200 mA...  hold on...  okay - on a quite count you have about 60 amplifiers, give or take.  There are in quad 4741's and some 5534's.  Additionally there are some discretes and some various support circuitry...  100 to 200mA per module sounds safe....  Unregulated supplies can be pretty beefy and not be physically large.  You want to size the supply somewhere close so for a pair of modules a 500mA dual supply would do it...  on the other hand you can do a regulated 24 volt supply and have double regulation...  a good thing...

maybe an Acopian...   24J40D-24J40D  24VDC linear  400mA   $95 per section so $190

http://www.acopian.com/dualiso-plugin-usersel-m.html
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

OOF!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 03:11:09 AM »

thanks for the info,  i forgot the regulators were actually on the modules.  dumb.  the acopain i got from you can be jumpered for 24v if i remember- it's the  "TD15-450"  would that one unit be enough to power 2 modules?  thanks again,
david

John Klett

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 09:00:42 AM »

That's a fixed dual 15 volt DC supply... and will do 4.5 Amps.  It may be possible to change it to 24 volts...  you would have to contact acopian and get their engineering people on the phone.  They've provided us with similar info re other supply conversions.
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

OOF!

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 11:48:10 AM »

without a jumper between the "V" and "S" terminals, this psu puts out 24v- actually 24.4 on the positive and 24.6 on the negative.  interestingly, the trim knob doesn't function in this mode.  i imagine the half voltage overage will be ok for the regulators.   once again, thanks for the help,
david

ssltech

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 04:15:45 PM »

...That seems to imply that the 'S' is the sense terminal and that the PSU isn't regulating at all with it disconnected. (In other words, it's running up to full, unregulated output thinking that the remote sense is at zero volts...)

Tha lack of regulation is fine bearing in mind that the module regulates locally... personally I would vote to modify the unit to send out about 21-22V, which will reduce the heat load at the module's own onboard regulators, and proveide a slightly cleaner DC run... but it's not essential.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

OOF!

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 12:49:18 PM »

thanks keith- that sounds like good advice.  i did find a dedicated 24v supply, which i trimmed down to 22v.  although when i connected it to the module it didn't power up, so i've got a problem elsewhere....  "look out, science project!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.