R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget pre's, Mackie vs. Presonus?  (Read 3521 times)

J-Ho

Budget pre's, Mackie vs. Presonus?
« on: April 10, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »

Hey I'm just wondering if anyone has ever stood up the presonus firepod pre's against anything mackie, especially whatever is in the old 24.8's.  I can't find anyone playing with the firepods who is worth their salt, so I figured maybe they're scared to admit it.  Basically, I have one laying around and one of the studios I manage just acquired an old mackie 24.8 and I haven't had the opportunity to shoot them out. I heard a comparison of the firepod to the mackie vlz, but i'll just say the conductor of the test was...rusty...on his scientific method.  One straight in, one thru a DI, different converters, etc.

Now, I really want to know about just the pre's on the firepod, when not used through the A/D.  I've used them that way quite enough to know how grainy and lifeless the conversion leaves your signal.  I have experimented and found that when you leave the firewire connection unconnected the unit defaults to a standard mic pre, with each pre feeding its respective line out.  My plan was to find out if the firepod pre is worse/same/better than the mackie pre when used standalone, and not with its A/D.  However, maybe someone out there already has and can save me the trouble.  If not, I'll give it a shot and post the results.

I use a Jim Williams-modded HD24XR for converters.

Best wagon wheels in town.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 16 queries.