R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Spectra Sonics Thread  (Read 50303 times)

Bryson

Re: Spectra Sonics Console Modules info,,,Ardent?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »

You say there are two 101 cards there, Billy.
Is it like the diagram I posted, or do the mic and eq stages each have their own amp? If the latter (where it wouldn't restrticted to using only a resistive pad for mic gain), this feedback gain info may be useful.
BTW, K and H are both output pins, with the difference being that H (which is used in the above diagram with the eq in the feedback loop) has a coupling cap.

index.php/fa/11660/0/

Here's and idea for a variable input pad from Joe Malone (note #110 card - bi-polar supply version):
http://www.jlmaudio.com/Spectra%20Sonics%20110%20as%20mic%20 pre.gif

Philip Shaw Bova

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 05:36:46 PM »

I love this place. You guys are the best!

Philip

Billy Yates

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 12:34:31 AM »

Thanks again Timmy.
These modules use 2 101 cards. The schematic you posted is similar to the one I sketched out but the signal path is a bit different. The second card is being used as a makeup amplifier I believe, as the cue and echo sends are ahead of it, and the Eq is in the feedback loop of the second card. It will be interesting to see the posts that are forthcoming for comparison sake. There were so many different SS consoles as they were a "custom" order item built up from a couple of standard platforms. The customer would add various options as the application and budget demanded. When Harrah's Lake Tahoe de-comissioned the 40 input SS console, it went into storage and was later given to me. I was in the process of stripping it down to rewire it as a more conventional recording desk when Divorce caused me to part with it. It was a massive console...8' ft. long and weighed at least 500 pounds. It was configured as a 5 channel mono out with a quad panned (joystick) master, feeding the 5 speaker arrays...L,C,R,RR,LR. It used the 3 band EQ's on every channel. In reality, it was only a 20 channel plus 5 channels with a 5Y (5 mics input) via a 5X1 premix so you could control up to 40 mics. Kind of cool for the time. It was a beauty. The meter bridge had a hinged top that revealed the 100 or more 101 cards. Each output buss had a 610 Complimiter built in too. Just waxing with the memory here, sorry. One thing I can tell you about that console, is that every employee of the stage crew would say how wonderful it sounded, because it was replaced with a Yamaha PM-3000! No wonder...and it rarely broke down unlike the PM3K...Junk.
So, basically, these modules here are about the same except for the EQ being a 501 2 band unit.
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

"Mix? What mix? Oh, that mix...it's easy!
Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »

I'd be willing to bet than most of the mods were necessary to keep out RFI. The complete consoles were supposed to be OK but integrating the components with other gear was notorious for RFI train wrecks.

Billy Yates

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Sat, 14 March 2009 12:36

I'd be willing to bet than most of the mods were necessary to keep out RFI. The complete consoles were supposed to be OK but integrating the components with other gear was notorious for RFI train wrecks.

Bob...
Yes, I agree. I notice all kinds of bypass capacitors to ground throughout. My old console was also that way. I guess when you have an amplifier like the 101 that has a response up to 100KHZ and above, you might be a little susceptible to RFI, no? Keeping audio leads short as possible.
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

Philip Shaw Bova

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 09:26:24 PM »

Hey Billy.
Just scoured the internet for all the info I could find on Spectra Sonics. I think that based on this photo (posted on gearslutz) the EQ you have in your modules is the 500. The two EQ's on the left are the 500s. The other six are the 501s.

Philipindex.php/fa/11664/0/

Philip Shaw Bova

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 10:46:51 PM »

I take that back, it doesn't quite look like the same EQ. I probably need glasses.

Billy Yates

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »

Philip...
You are correct and I stand corrected...yes, those are the same although the face plate on the 500's in the photo are slightly different, probably older I guess. The ones I have here have never been fooled with and are in very nice shape. Low freq. selection of 50, 100, 200 & 300 Hz +- 12 Db. HF selection 2.5, 5, 10 & 15 Khz +- 12 Db. Like Terry mentioned, they are rather broad, something like 6 Db per octave. It's been awhile since I looked at the response curves. I used to have the entire catalog of documentation for every item they manufactured, including the blue prints. They are all gone now. I have kicked my self for years for getting rid of that stuff. Being able to openly share that info with people who need it would be nice. Back then, Greg Daley who was President of SS would gladly send out any info request via mail, for a price that is. I think they went into designing audio systems for Lear Jets and basically got out of pro audio entirely. Recently, the 610 Complimiter was re-introduced and you know whats funny? The street price for the current issue is only $200 or so dollars more than the 1970's price of $839.00. Crazy.
I would be curious to read the comments by others who have used the 610 and what they use it for. The one we have sounds lousy and pretty much destroys anything you put through it. I think it needs a complete overhaul myself.
Back to the work bench.
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Philip Shaw Bova

Re: Spectra Sonics EQs
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 05:29:11 PM »

Just got these scans from a family friend. Thought I would share.

index.php/fa/11680/0/

Philip Shaw Bova

Re: Spectra Sonics EQs
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »

and...

index.php/fa/11683/0/

Billy Yates

Re: The Spectra Sonics Thread
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 08:24:16 PM »

In the interest of keeping things tidy and consistent, I asked Terry if we could merge the two threads together...Viola! "The official SpectraSonics Thread"
Thanks Terry!
Like Phillip and myself, there is undoubtedly a need for information regarding Spectra Sonics equipment and this forum has certainly been a pinnacle for info gathering and distribution for the members here. I have compiled a nice set of documents courtesy of my friend Richard Dobson, who generously loaned me two spiral bound copies of the operation manual and architectural drawings including the single line schematics of the 1024 console, which was a standard model platform that many custom consoles were built from. Unlike the Ardent style desk, this one used 110 amplifier cards which used a bipolar supply +- 24vdc. The 101 cards used a single +24vdc supply, but the pinouts for both are the same with the exception being, pin C as the -24vdc leg (B-) for the 110 card.
For what it's worth, I find it unusual that more information doesn't exist on the internet regarding SS products. In light of that, I find it compelling to help out by sharing what we can collectively dig up. And, like any other brand of equipment, SS has it's admirers and non admirers, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy and learn from the process of projects being brought forth and implemented in todays application of audio recording.
Hand me that shovel please...
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Bryson

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 09:10:17 AM »

Notice the different orientation... one's upside down.

index.php/fa/11691/0/

Bryson

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »

index.php/fa/11692/0/

Bryson

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »

I may have posted this stuff before but what the heck, this is the official Spectra Sonics thread.

index.php/fa/11693/0/

Bryson

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 09:26:23 AM »

HAECO EQ (from A&M late 60's) with SS 500 network and Stephens 9-pin op-amp:
index.php/fa/11694/0/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 16 queries.