R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Spectra Sonics Thread  (Read 50307 times)

Philip Shaw Bova

The Spectra Sonics Thread
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:05:50 PM »

Hey everybody,

I just acquired a couple of these tiny Spectra Sonics 501 EQs. They are simple fixed 2 band EQs. I can't seem to find any info on them. I would presume that they are shelving top and bottom.  Has anybody used these before? I've got a couple of 101 cards to go with them, and plan on racking them eventually.  

Thanks,

philip

compasspnt

Re: Spectra Sonics EQs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 01:54:02 PM »

Hello Philip,

It's been years, but as I recall, they were shelving, fairly wide band, centered about 100 and 10k.

Very simple stuff.

T

Philip Shaw Bova

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:43:35 PM »

Thank You Terry!

I did received the data sheets with these units, but oddly enough they don't specify the EQ curves. Were these the types of EQ's in the Ardent console?

Philip

Billy Yates

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:29:20 AM »

Look for my next thread...I have some modules I am racking up for a friend.
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

"Mix? What mix? Oh, that mix...it's easy!
Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

Billy Yates

Spectra Sonics Console Modules info,,,Ardent?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:37:34 AM »

I have 16 of these Spectra Sonics modules that came out of a remote truck here in LA. They have been highly modified. I am going to undo the mods, and reconfigure for use as a rack package or side car for a friend, as Mic/Line amps with Eq and fader only. The sends will not be used. What I would like, is information from some dusty files that pertain to this type console configuration. The 101 amps are easy, but what was done before hand was a mess and figuring out the proper layout for two 101 cards and one EQ and fader is the intent here.
The photos show what these look like. Any info is appreciated.index.php/fa/11636/0/
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

Billy Yates

Re: Spectra Sonics Console Modules info,,,Ardent?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:39:19 AM »

Another view...index.php/fa/11637/0/
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Billy Yates

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:40:41 AM »

Inside view...index.php/fa/11638/0/
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 03:54:26 AM »

They sure look familiar, like home.

Ardent surely has some documentation in their files.  I'll send them a note to check for you.

T

Bryson

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:58:41 AM »

http://66.49.175.186/images/linked/SS_Strip.gif

Silvertone

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:06:10 AM »

I know Ken McKim has info on these as well. I use to own a Flickinger console that had all Spectrasonic 101 pre-amps in her and Ken back engineered the console for me.  Also he had a whole file on Spectrasonic at the time.

If Terry can't get you the info then I can give you Ken's contact info.

Not to hijack the thread Billy but did you ever mod that ADK mic like you were talking about? I had a client stiff me on a bill and he sent me his ADK TT microphone (their high  end tube model)... doesn't sound bad, in fact it finishes right behind the U67 on my listening files... so I was wondering if there was a way to "hot rod" her anymore and I know you were looking into that at one point.

Thanks Billy... now back to the Spectrasonic thread...
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Silvertone

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 07:13:04 AM »

The other thing you can do is cut the fader off and use one of the sends as a master pot to make and even smaller rack. We've done that on a few Electrodyne and Quad Eight modules. You make the pre/post switch an "attenuator or full on switch" and then the pot becomes the actual attenuator (when the pre/post switch is in that position). Works like a charm and makes a much smaller footprint. Also then no worry about the faders travel having an "problem spots".

Just some food for thought.
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Silvertone

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 07:18:02 AM »

Good memory Terry.  Yes 100 (and I want to say also switchable to 50Hz on the low end?) and 10K on the top. Great little passive EQ's. You can see them at the bottom of the rack in this picture. Dan Flickinger used two of these on the two bus of one of his consoles that I used to own. It had all Spectrasonic 101 pre-amp cards and these 501's on the two buss.  Cool little 8x2 console... I wish I'd kept her.

index.php/fa/11640/0/
Larry DeVivo
PO Box 4582

Philip Shaw Bova

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 08:30:23 AM »

The EQ's I have aren't switchable. Just two knobs and a bypass switch. Cool looking Flickinger console!

Billy Yates

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 12:59:42 PM »

Wow!
Thanks guys. That sketch is very similar to what I sketched out last night. Timmy,Terry and Larry...(sounds like a comedy troupe or English mod act right?) Very Happy  Thanks for the input, and yes, I would like any documentation from any angle. This forum once again proves to be the most amazing resource on the planet.
Larry...
You know, I sat there for 2 hours pondering the re-packaging options and always came up with the need to ditch the linear fader, as it really isn't needed at all. A pot would suffice and I also agree that using the cue pot location for an input attenuator is very logical. By cutting off the fader end, the package would be slightly longer than a 1073. Perfect! The idea of this project is to have two portable racks with 8 modules each. I think my client will be happy about this approach.
As to the ADK TT-AU (C-12 & U-67), no mods needed...they sound wonderful by themselves. I think you may be thinking of the APEX 460 project that I did. It was well worth the effort too. A 5 star GE 12AY7 (6072A), plate coupling cap changed out to a Tantalum type, and the Cinemag transformer was all I have done so far. It sounds very nice and smooth and a big upgrade in performance.
I hope that's what you're talking about. I may have to go back to the ADK thread and read to see if I missed something.
BTW, Larry Valilla makes some great microphones for the money and is one hell of a nice guy.
Again, Thanks Timmy. I am going to print it out and get to work.
Hand me the solder sucker please...
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Billy Yates

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 01:06:16 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 13 March 2009 02:54

They sure look familiar, like home.

Ardent surely has some documentation in their files.  I'll send them a note to check for you.

T

Thanks Terry.
It would be very cool to see what they have.
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 16 queries.