R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Mic & Sound Room Question  (Read 3125 times)

AF3

Radio Mic & Sound Room Question
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »

Hello all,

First off, I like playing with audio equipment as a hobby and am learning quite a bit about audio from various web sources. I listen to talk radio and am infatuated by the behind-the-scenes studio technology and practices.

I do some sound design and like to put together promos for an Internet radio show.

I need help making a decision about whether or not to modify my room for the sake of appeasing my sensitive AT2020 condenser, or switch to a more expensive broadcast grade dynamic which would effectively cut down the background sound with the assistance of the noise gate feature in my Behringer Shark.

I have been considering the following mics:

My impression of industry standard, the "Electro Voice RE-20"
The impressive, less expensive "Heil PR-40"
Or the even less expensive "Rode Podcaster" (The black analog model)

Although I would love to have an RE-20, it's average price is $400-500. It has a great frequency response from what I can tell, and from recordings I have heard of broadcasters using this device, it seems to drop the background sound to an acceptable level and greatly reduce popping.

I am under the impression that the PR-40 is a competitor of the RE-20 with similar internal shock mounting and pop filter system.

I know little about the Rode Podcaster other than it's frequency response starts at 75Hz which is discouraging. I think it also has an internal shock mount and pop filter... but am not completely sure.

The alternative of course would be to modify my room and get an external pop filter and shock mount for my current AT2020. I have no idea what materials are effective as sound proofing materials, and what are gimmicks.

What would you folks recommend?

Tom L

Re: Radio Mic & Sound Room Question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »

Changing mics will neither reduce background noise nor eliminate pops.

1. You can only treat noise based on its source. What is the source? HVAC or other mechanical noise? External (traffic, noisy neighbors, etc)? Identifying the source will dictate it's proper treatment.

2. Use mic positioning and technique to reduce pops. Are you the only person speaking or are you also doing interviews?  Try changing the position of the mic (distance and angle). Be aware of plosives ("B" and "P") and sibilant ("S" and "T") sounds and adjust your annunciation to lessen their effects. Granted, it's probably easier to do this with a prepared script than off the cuff. In those cases, and with guest speakers, a pop filter may help, though it's not a cure all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.