R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SM69 screws  (Read 2307 times)

J.J. Blair

SM69 screws
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:57 PM »

My wonderful new assistant dropped my SM69.  So far, there seems to be no damage, other than two of the screws that hold the head only the amplifier have snapped.  Does anybody know if Neumann still uses that system for the USM69, or where I might be able to find those screws if Neumann doesn't have them?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Barry Hufker

Re: SM69 screws
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »

J.J.,

I don't know if this solves the problem for you, but it's a great resource:

http://www.smallparts.com/

Barry

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »

Thanks Barry.  These are not normal screws.  Like on a C12, they are ones that you screw inward, to get them out of the way, rather than unscrewing them.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »

Please show a picture, as there are several types of screws used on SM69 mics.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:30:57 PM »

These screws that attach the head, Klaus.  Thanks.

index.php/fa/11430/0/
studio info

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:07 PM »

The screws used on (U)SM69fet heads are oval Philips head.
The screws that held the capsule head on SM69 tube mics, like yours, were a special kind of "Stiftschraube" which, if available at all anymore, would probably need to be sourced directly from Berlin.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Tim Campbell

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 03:29:54 AM »

If these screws screw inward to release the head I would guess that they're metric, headless allen screws which any good srew supplier should have. Measure the shaft and you'll find the size (M1= 1mm, M1.5=1.5mm). If you have no luck other places try Paul Korth GmbH in Germany. Gefell uses this system on some of their mics also.
Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 11:58:25 AM »

Thanks.  Actually, it's a flat head type, not allen.  Klaus, should I post on the Neumann boards and see if they have it?
studio info

ryan streber

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:16:52 PM »

My memory is dim on this, but I had Korby repair an SM69 on which some of those screws were stripped, and I believe he replaced them. Maybe he has some leads on a source or has some himself?

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 02:42:54 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 28 February 2009 08:58

Thanks.  Actually, it's a flat head type, not allen.  Klaus, should I post on the Neumann boards and see if they have it?

I would address Martin Schneider directly in an e-mail.

BTW: I mentioned that this screw is a special kind. What is special about it is that the slotted, unthreaded head portion has a smaller diameter than the fine-threaded shaft, and also has a specific length, to fit flush with its mating surface in the head.

I have not seen this screw in any fastener supply's inventory anywhere.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 20 queries.