R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What AKG D-Series Is This?  (Read 2528 times)

SW

What AKG D-Series Is This?
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:25:43 PM »

Hello all -- I picked this up off of ebay on a gamble.  The seller didn't know what it was, wouldn't open it up to look at the capsule and wouldn't plug it in.  I took a risk, got it tonight and opened it up.  I surely looks like some AKG D series microphone.  Can anyone help ID it?  Numbers on it are NO. 1233 (which is also hand scratched on the resonant chamber on the capsule) and 6-47-7212. Side attachments are knurled knobs.  XLR connection (?).  So far I can't get it to pass a signal.

panman

Re: what akd d series is this??
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »

Hi, It was once an old style(metal frame) D20/60ohms, because the bottom hole is so big. Also the way the wiring is done, tells it is a D20/60. Someone has "modded" it a bit. Those baskets are likely from a D12E and judging from the pic, do not really fit, unless a hole is made in the middle. I guess there must have been a self-made shock-mount for it once upon a time.
Regards,
       Esa
E.T.

SW

Re: What AKG D-Series Is This?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »

hello all -- the mic still doesn't function with standard XLR wiring.  Could I be doing something wrong, as I don't really know what the 60 ohm implications are.  Also, for better or worse I took this thing apart and see that the diaphram has little to no movement.  I seem to recall something about rust particles in D12s jamming up the diaphram- but the details were spotty.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  Also...there was a hole in the black screen just about where the knob would be on the older style d series.  Is this relevant?   Sorry so many questions...I am kind of a neophyte when it comes to digging into microphones.

panman

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »

Ok, the coil is jammed. Don`t try to do anything more before you have measured the ohmic-resistance of the coil. Connect an ohmic -meter between the blue- and green wire(no cable connected). If it is a 60ohms(impedance) capsule, it should read aproximately 50 ohms. Judgeing from the greenish color(or is it just the flash)of the capsule, it may be a later replacement too and might have a higher impedance and read something between 200 and 240ohms. That would be the 200ohms capsule then. If you don`t get a reading, the coil is defect.
If you have a close pic(this time a bit smaller Very Happy)  of the diaphragm, much more can be said.
Regards,
      Esa
E.T.

SW

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:24:07 PM »

Well -- my poor sounding d12e which has a hole in the diaphram reads 200 ohms.  This unknown capsule ranged a bit before settling on zero ohms.  So I think I have my answer.
 But I have another question...any chance I can transplant the stuck diaphram to the D12e with a hole in the diaphram?

I have a 3rd d12e that is completely functional and I really like it on my bass cabinet.  If I could somehow Frankenstien these 2 defunct units into one working one, well that would make me happy!

panman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:38:31 PM »

1845 wrote on Sat, 28 February 2009 01:24

any chance I can transplant the stuck diaphram to the D12e with a hole in the diaphram?

If I could somehow Frankenstien these 2 defunct units into one working one, well that would make me happy!

Vladimir, I am sorry to say, that it would be beyond your scope.

Regards,
       Esa
P.S. I have pm:d you.
E.T.

SW

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »

After looking into this more, I agree.  Attempting to repair these successfully is not something I can do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.