R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cheap condenser mic  (Read 17445 times)

Larry Villella

Re: cheap condenser mic
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »

In the end, it's about Your Ears and Your Budget.

I spent 25 years in the piano industry, and I can
say with certainty there are some little-known
European Hand-Made Pianos that run circles around
most of the 'gotta-have' Big-Name Japanese Pianos.

AT, Shure, Rode, the majors all make a good mic or two!

I've spoken many times about the effect the AT 4047 had
on how we developed our new Pre-Aged Capsule Technology.

But a 3033 is like the baby-grand of microphones. Come on!
It deserves to be in the same hall of shame as the TLM-103!

I don't generally do "negative" but there comes a time when a fellow
has to stand up and be counted as going against the prevailing opinion.  

The Micro-Brews make the best Beer. Bar None.  

But keep on buying Budweiser if it makes you happy.

I want something that has Sonic Information, like a great condenser.  

Several Fine Condensers can be found for $200. (Not just ADK).

On the band-stand, you want a Dynamic Mic.

In the studio, you want sonic detail rarely realized in anything Except a Condenser.

Ask Georg Neumann if you don't believe me !!!

In fact the New Paradigm is more Condensers on the Stage!!

Back to solving the small or start-up studio needs:

Robust Tone and Robust Workmanship & Materials:

That's what I'd be looking for in a Condenser Mic!

Best of luck in your search (a zillion mics out there!)

Larry J. Villella, Founder, ADK Microphones

Greg Blaisdell

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »

Halfway Competent wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 13:46

The OP never specifically mentioned acoustic guitar.  Smile  Why can't an SM-81 double as a vocal mic?  What didn't you like about it in this application?  

Shure offers a pop filter accessory for it: (       http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/Accessories/us_pro_A8 1G_content)  Considering that the SM-81 is often used for miking choirs, this would seem to be a vote FOR its use as a vocal mic.  And, as I stated before, I used one of my SM-94s ($180 street) for vocals and it worked out quite well.  

I own an SM81 and still use it often, so I'm not against it in any way.  When the original poster said "vocals and acoustic instruments" it seems I read "vocals and acoustic guitar".  Not careful reading on my part, but acoustic guitar qualifies as an acoustic instrument.  I retract the statement that an SM81 "can't double as a vocal mic."  Of course it can be used for anything you want to use it for.  Personally I don't often reach for a small condenser as a lead vocal mic, but they are certainly used on vocals, especially choirs.  

But as an owner of an SM81 and an ADK A6, I hold the opinion that I'd rather have an A6 for "vocals AND acoustic instruments" than an SM81 (if I had to choose just one).  If you can buy them both you will find many uses for both of them.  

I'll post an A/B comparison soon of the SM81, A6, and a few other mics on various acoustic instruments and vocals at http://hearthegear.com/ so folks can hear the difference.  All of you folks should post your own clips too.  Like I said in my original post, people should make their own judgements by listening.  All I can do is give my own opinion based on my own experience.  Feel free to disagree with me.  That's what these forums are for.
Greg Blaisdell
Engineer - Musician - Pro Audio Sales
www.proaudiotoys.com
www.rackrecording.com
Toll Free: 1-866-485-6649
Local: (503) 640-7410

Halfway Competent

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 07:12:17 PM »

Greg Blaisdell wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 15:31

Halfway Competent wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 13:46

blah blah blah, something about SM-81 and stuff

I own an SM81 and still use it often, so I'm not against it in any way.  When the original poster said "vocals and acoustic instruments" it seems I read "vocals and acoustic guitar".  Not careful reading on my part, but acoustic guitar qualifies as an acoustic instrument.  I retract the statement that an SM81 "can't double as a vocal mic."  Of course it can be used for anything you want to use it for.  Personally I don't often reach for a small condenser as a lead vocal mic, but they are certainly used on vocals, especially choirs.  

But as an owner of an SM81 and an ADK A6, I hold the opinion that I'd rather have an A6 for "vocals AND acoustic instruments" than an SM81 (if I had to choose just one).  If you can buy them both you will find many uses for both of them.  

I'll post an A/B comparison soon of the SM81, A6, and a few other mics on various acoustic instruments and vocals at http://hearthegear.com/ so folks can hear the difference.  All of you folks should post your own clips too.  Like I said in my original post, people should make their own judgements by listening.  All I can do is give my own opinion based on my own experience.  Feel free to disagree with me.  That's what these forums are for.

Hi Greg,

I'd love to hear the comparison!  Smile  I've seen the ads for ADK mics, but have never had opportunity to use one.  Later tonight I'll post some sound samples of mics I've talked about.

Bill_Urick

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 06:15:08 AM »

Another vote for the ADK A6. It would be close to your price range new. I've got two of them and they've sounded great on everything I've used them on so far.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Hank Alrich

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »

Jim Williams wrote on Wed, 21 January 2009 08:49

Got $39.95?

MCA SP-1

www.pssl.com

Jim posted this into rec.audio.pro a number of times, until I finally thought, what the hell, if he's willing to risk his rep on such a rediculous proposition I might as well try them.

He is absolutely right. These mics are freaks of industrial nature, even without Jim's mods. They have no right to sound as good as they do, nor to be as versatile.

I am not saying dump a U47 and replace it with one of these. I am saying that any time I see someone asking for cheap mic advice, I put forth that these are not only cheap, they are also good.

I have now also used one live for a lovely female vocalist singing standards in a trio with two acoustic guitars backing her, and recently live on a fine Clinesmith resonator. Listening to the results people could not believe that a forty dollar mic was offering such admirable sound quality.

The dobro player was apprehensive about not using his pickup, and I assured him that if the mic didn't cut it we'd certainly use his system. But we have been aiming to get a mic'd sound for our acoustic instruments, and we most certainly did. He had no problems whatsoever.

Note: one will naturally want to open one up. Their internal construction in the amp section is obviously from the Erector Set School of Industrial Design. When reassembling the chassis do not attempt to screw the housing on too tightly or you'll twist the Erector Set stuff apart.

Other than that caveat I can't see spending in the $200-$400 range for a condensor mic. I think the MCA SP-1 silly good for what it costs, and truly decent regardless of cost.

I paid just under $95 for my pair including shipping and California sales tax. I added a pair of OnStage shock mounts for $25 apiece. The mounts are somewhat problematic, but the mics work very well.

Halfway Competent

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 03:07:03 PM »

OK, here's a sample of nylon-string acoustic guitar that I recorded with a stereo pair of AT-4033s run through a dbx 386 pre.  

http://www.tewsnet.com/dropbox/flaxen-sample.mp3

I'll try to dig up some older stuff I recorded with the SM94s, but that could be a while.

compasspnt

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 06:32:15 PM »

Is the SP-1 not discontinued?

DarinK

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 07:38:32 PM »

The SP-1 is on www.pssl.com as the MXL SP1, but the description calls it the MCA SP-1.
http://www.pssl.com/Search?q=sp1&x=0&y=0&by=s

- Darin

Michael_Joly

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »

The SP-1 uses the same KM-84-inspired SDC capsule and basic Schoeps-style circuit as found in the popular 22mm SDC mics like the 603/604, CM-90, 180/185, GXL1200 etc.

But this capsule performs better (less peaking 7kHz peaking) in the larger, side-address headbasket of the SP-1 than in the pencil mics. The relatively low open area of these pencil mics' body vents cause HF peaking.The effect of pencil mic vent size on capsule HF peaking was used by Neumann to make the KM-184 brighter than the KM-84 - even though both mics use the same capsule. A brief note about this body vent effect can be found in the Acoustic Features paragraphs of the KM-184 page.

edited to protect the innocent

Future_One

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »

Michael_Joly wrote on Wed, 03 June 2009 07:09

The SP-1 uses the same KM-84-inspired SDC capsule and basic Schoeps-style circuit as found in the popular 22mm SDC mics like the 603/604, CM-90, 180/185, GXL1200 etc.

But this capsule performs better (less peaking 7kHz peaking) in the larger, side-address headbasket of the SP-1 than in the pencil mics. The relatively low open area of these pencil mics' body vents cause HF peaking.The effect of pencil mic vent size on capsule HF peaking was used by Neumann to make the KM-184 brighter than the KM-84 - even though both mics use the same capsule. A brief note about this body vent effect can be found in the Acoustic Features paragraphs of the KM-184 page.

Hey Michael those links in your sig don't seem to be working.
I can't hear you.  Can you run your speech through a limiter for me?

tom eaton

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 09:58:57 PM »

AfSouth

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 10:04:09 AM »

A CAD GXL3000 could do the trick.
chet

cool!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 18 queries.