R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: M7 Breakthrough Around The Corner?  (Read 43744 times)

Mike Cleaver

Re: M7 Breakthrough Around The Corner?
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2009, 11:46:42 PM »

Over in the "Whatever works" forum, Terry Manning is revealing that the LUCAS CS-4 will have a "new" M7 Capsule.
Here's the relevant post:

"The capsule of course is completely different.

It is a German newly built PVC M7, available for now in a new mic only in the CS-4."

With the success of the CS-1, I'm anxiously awaiting to see if what they are developing is the answer to the "M7 unobtanium problem."

Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

compasspnt

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2009, 12:36:50 AM »

Hi Mike,

And a later post states...

"Dipl.Ing. Siegfried Thiersch will be making the PVC M7 for the CS-4."

synthetic

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2009, 12:15:48 PM »

It appears that the UMT70S is one of the PVC models.

recordinghacks

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Mon, 19 October 2009 10:43

If with "Production Gefells" you mean MG microphones with PVC M7 capsules (there are only two models in the company's current line-up, if I calculate correctly)...

Klaus, I gulped when I read that, because my mic database shows many PVC-membrane capsules from Gefell:
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/tag/pvc

It is true that the MG website does not promote the company's use of PVC diaphragms, except in the 'M 990 art' and 'M 930 art', both of which use an M930-style capsule with PVC diaphragm.

Nonetheless, I was told by a Microtech-Gefell sales engineer last year, and again today (in response to a request for confirmation), that all the M7-capsule mics in Gefell's current product lineup still use PVC diaphragms.

I welcome corrections if anyone knows differently.
matthew mcglynn - proprietor, http://recordinghacks.com/ - "Organizing the world's microphones"

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »

That is not correct. Most MG mics with an M7-style backplate use Mylar/Polyester diaphragms.

When I get a chance, I will sift through the current model line-up and point out which mics, aside of the 92.1s still use a PVC membraned capsule.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »

I'd like to point out that I have an early 1959 U48 here with a Berlin M7.  I just had Thiersch reskin it in PVC, and it is excellent.  It matches up nicely wit the M7 which was completely his.

I still find it preferable to any of my K47s, at least in a U47/48, and I prefer it to the Gefell reskinned Berlin M7 which I had.  I found the Gefell PVC reskin to be duller on the top end.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

maarvold

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2009, 07:44:56 PM »

J.J.,

Largely due to your early enthusiasm about the Thiersch Blue Line (PVC), I bought a PVC-skinned STW 7 (his current production version of the M7).   At my request, Dave Pearlman used it to replace my Neumann K47 in my Pearlman TM-1 (EF14 & Dave's "Historically Accurate" BV8 transformer--as I believe he calls it).  I liked it so much that I immediately had Dave build me another mic exactly the same way.  These mics may not be exactly U47's, but they are close enough for me that I would always use them first because they are quite close to what I want in a U47 and--if I have to punch in a line at a different studio--I have the repeatability of being able to use exactly the same mic, since I own it.  The Theirsch PVC capsules are very nice, imo.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Sinocelt

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2010, 02:08:05 AM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Tue, 20 January 2009 00:01

I will give my current ranking of both PVC and Mylar M7 models, based on frequent tests and submissions by both Gefell and Thiersch:

A. PVC-State in 2009

1. Neumann Berlin and Neumann/Gefell, historic stock (when they still work)

2. Microtech Gefell, the ones made until 4-5 years ago

3. Thiersch, current

4. Thiersch, made ca. 1993/4

5. Microtech Gefell, current

B. Mylar/Polyester-State in 2009

1. Microtech Gefell, until 4-5 years ago

2. Tie: Microtech Gefell, current and Thiersch, current

Still my (slightly) favorite M7 capsule, which I use for all of my comparison tests, is a Microtech Gefell M7 POLYESTER! This was a one-off, with truly mind-blowing timbre, fullness, and clarity, Sheryl Crow's 'Soak Up The Sun' was done with a short body U47 with that capsule.

Any update for 2010?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 19 queries.