R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting a Reason SM40, need cabinet  (Read 2290 times)

Getting a Reason SM40, need cabinet
« on: November 23, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »

Based mostly on recommendations by Billy Yates and Brian K, I've ordered a Reason SM40.  I put a lot of thought and research into this, and spoke at length with Anthony at Reason, and Billy was nice enough to answer a few questions as well.

It will arrive in a few days but I'm in need of a cabinet and speakers, and I wonder if some of the seasoned folks around here can answer a few questions.  I'm graduating from direct recording and modeling amps, and amp recording is still new to me.

Billy's cabinet has reissued Greenbacks, but the Reason cabinets are now shipping stock with Eminence Governors.  I'm fine with just getting a Reason cabinet but at the risk of overthinking it, I want to consider all options.

So, when shopping for speakers, do we look for a match between amp and speaker, or is a good speaker just a good speaker?  And how about speaker wattage?  I know some people here prefer lower watt speakers, but Anthony at Reason suggests higher wattage to avoid ghost notes. (Although I still don't really know what that is.  Same as "cone cry"?  I don't know what that is, either.)

Also, are certain setups easier to record?  Certain speakers, or speaker configurations (1x12, etc.)  Open/closed back?

Thanks for any help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.