R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The DIY thread  (Read 8086 times)

Thomas Jouanjean

The DIY thread
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »

Hi all,

The objective of this thread is to create a collection of posts about DIY acoustic projects by R/E/P members, so that our community can benefit from a good DIY shared database.

Projects can be about doors, diffusors, traps, “how to” tricks... You name it, as long as it's about studio acoustics.

To keep it all tidy, here's how to format your posts:

- Keep it short, if possible not longer than 3 posts. Be clear and straight to the point.

- Add pictures and/or plans showing at least the final result, if possible the build process.

- Keep a clear record of design and build costs, as well as type of material used.

- PM one of the moderators of this section before posting (subject etc).

We'll be keeping an index of projects on the first page of the thread for fast and easy access to information.

If you want to create a studio build photo diary, just start a new thread about it and we'll add a link to it in the “Studio Build Index” sticky.

We hope to see many participants!

Thomas & Francis
Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

C.Cash

Sound Booth/Sound Wall D.I.Y.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »

This looks easy and inexpensive, I have not built one yet but plan to.

http://www.palmcitystudios.com/timobrien/music/soundbooth/si mplesoundbooth.html
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Steve Hudson

Re: Sound Booth/Sound Wall D.I.Y.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »

I had a buddy fabricate wooden brackets on which we could hang fiberglass panels (OC 703/705) using ReadyBags, which have three cloth hanger strips on the back. Very cost-effective (about $65 per panel including bracket). The 4" panels are 2" 705 layered on top of 2" 703 just to have the extra rigidity. We like them so much, we're having twenty more made for the tracking room (half 2", half 4"), where we'll have a series of rails on the walls and the panel brackets will have dovetail hangers so you can move the panels around to modify the response of the room.

index.php/fa/11325/0/

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Steve Hudson

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »

Here's a shot of the completed control room with all the panels hung. Note that the hangers allow the panels to be angled slightly, reducing edge effects. The brackets keep the panels about 4" off the wall. We still have a few of Ethan's traps and other DIY traps to hang on the ceiling/wall corners.

index.php/fa/11326/0/
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

FWIW, I've "designed" (and I use that term very loosely) several mastering rooms over the years and all turned out nicely. That being said, I had Mr. Jouanjean come out and work on my latest room and was absolutely amazed at the results. It's unreal the difference he made.

IOW, it's like any other part of audio - sure, you can do it yourself, but if you can, have a real pro work on it.

Sorry, don't mean to kill this thread (and I think this thread has merit despite my post) - just wanted to make the point that the really serious pro guys are worth it...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

compasspnt

Re: The DIY thread
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »

What a buzz kill Brad is.

So I just put away my saber saw, my concrete mixer, my homemade oscilloscope, the 4000 feet of rope, the crane I had rented (mine was broken), and the self-constructed wrecking ball.

Gonna make lunch.

tetrahedron

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:07:17 PM »

Hello everyone. Just came back to this forum after a long time hiatus. I just found out it was still here. I erroneously thought it had morphed into the "womb".

Well, where to begin? I hope this is where to put this post. Basically, because I'm a long time DIY'er, having been a pro CAD detailer and fabricator for many years. I've also been a long time Homestudio builder, and am in the process of building many things to complete my studio. Except for the gear and the room boundarys itself, I've pretty much planned/built everything. See the attatched pics for a few of the things I've built. Some are actual pics, and some things are still in the planning stage, which is why I'm here.

Over the last few years I've delved into Sketchup, which compared to Autocad 2d, is amazing. As I've been a detailer in a Store Fixture architectural mill for 20 years, I'm used to "building" on paper/computer as well as fabrication, as thats what I did for a living. So its a no brainer that I do the same for my own studio.
I pretty much completely build everything in virtual space prior to building it. And now, I'm ready to build the final stages of my studio, which is the acoustical fixturing.

However, before I commit to building, and since there are people here who are pro studio acousticians, I thought I might run my ideas by some people who can really give me some concrete answers to the questions I have. I won't delve into them into this post though.  I'm just wondering if I should post the questions here or in the main acoustics forum? Anyway, once I know, then I'll post the questions. In the meantime, here's some of the stuff I've built so far, and a few Sketchup jpgs so you can see the direction I'm heading.

Oops... Shocked I just realized, you can only post one "attatchment" per post. I can't seem to find any "img" field to post "url's" to put image hosting links. Am I missing anything here? Most forums have a way to post more than one picture via an "image"
link button. I don't see one here. If not, well this might be a little more difficult, as I have tons of files to post.
Anyway, so be it for the moment. Here is a sketchup of my studio. The console and soffits are already built. As soon as I find out about posting multiple pictures I'll be back.
fitZ
Alright, breaks over, back on your head..

bblackwood

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »

tetrahedron wrote on Sun, 24 May 2009 14:07

Oops... Shocked I just realized, you can only post one "attatchment" per post. I can't seem to find any "img" field to post "url's" to put image hosting links. Am I missing anything here? Most forums have a way to post more than one picture via an "image"
link button. I don't see one here. If not, well this might be a little more difficult, as I have tons of files to post.

The red one in the middle here:

index.php/fa/12351/0/

Or you can do it yourself by wrapping the url with the img bbcode: (img)http://yourlinkhere(/img) using brackets [] instead of parenthesis...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.