R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70's Brochures and Schematics  (Read 2152 times)

Greg Youngman

70's Brochures and Schematics
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:31:21 AM »

I have tons of 60's - 70's pro audio brochures and schematics and would like to share them.  They are not for sale.  I think I would be violating copyright laws by posting copies of these on my web site, yet most of the companies are no longer in business and the products are out of production.  I've seen other sites do it, but that doesn't necessarily make it right.  If I posted them, do you think I would be opening myself up to a violation?
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Jim Williams

Re: 70's Brochures and Schematics
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »

I would consider not using your real name for starters. I wouldn't be too concerned about it as the Feds will get to you only after they arrest all the Nigerian mailers, and bank fraud fishermen...
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Galil

Re: 70's Brochures and Schematics
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »

Not a lawyer, don't play on one TV.  This does not substitute for advice from somebody who is deep into copyright issues.

I would guess that if Greg posted information (copies of pro audio fliers from the 60s and 70s) which was from companies which are out of business that there would be no harm.  I have seen some post a disclaimer that the information is for academic research, don't know if the standards for academics is different from other usage on the net.

If the brochures are from currently existing companies (API, MCI/Sony, Tascam, etc.), that permission might be needed to post the information.

I would imagine that sales fliers would not be greatly objected to, but that schematics of products which are currently being reproduced for current sale could be perceived as being a threat (think: LA2A, EMI REDD, Helios, Quad8, etc).  I suspect that those who sell the reproductions might choose to threaten the poster of said schematics (although there is much more to building a successful reproduction than just a schematic, very few recordists who want one are able to build it), even if any patent or protected intellectual property on the original device might have expired.  This could produce a litigation between a person who is making a living on said design against an enthusiast.  Usually the one with a commercial interest is more determined than the amateur.

The other possibility is that there would be no problem.  Perhaps the site could have links to the modern reproduction of the product, providing a synergy which is mutually beneficial.

No way of knowing, until one gives it an attempt.  It is possible that as a site is built some of the information might need to be removed, but much of it would be able to stand.  I agree with the previous post that making your real identity too easily available might complicate things.

I suspect I might really enjoy the website you would like to build.

Galil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.