R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Bock '5-Zero-7' Microphone  (Read 26535 times)

Arf! Mastering

Re: New Bock 5-Zero-7 mic...
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 02:00:43 PM »

I did a vocal session with the Cardas version of the mic.  It was a smooth, big lovely sound, but I felt the M7 mic it was up against retained a little more emotional energy.   My opinion at the time was that the capsule idea might work better if it were a tad smaller.   There seemed to be a torsion-spring effect to the elliptical design that "absorbed" and dissipated some energy.  Others on the session preferred the elliptical capsule over the M7.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 03:53:51 PM »

When you say the Cardas version, is it the same as the 5-zero-7?  Much of the sound of this mic results from the transformer that David uses, as well as the other components.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Barry Hufker

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »

Didn't Mr. Bock and Mr. Cardas work together to create the 5-zero-7?

In any event, J.J. what's the verdict?

Barry

J.J. Blair

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »

They worked together on the capsule.  I have no idea what circuit is in the Cardas version.

The mic might have the best low end response of any mic I've ever heard.  The other frequencies sound delicious, as well.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Brad Lunde

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 05:42:42 PM »

JJ Has this right.  Cardas sold a few of his own versions of a mic with the capsule.  I never heard one or saw one.  

David is one of the brightest minds in mics around right now and turning him lose to design a new benchmark with such a unique capsule seems like a winner.  The first implementation of a mic with the capsule was the Bock 308 targeted at a flatter response.  The Bock 507 shoots for a different target, "big vocals", as its the one most people are looking for.   A big vocal mic that isn't too bright is hard to find outside of vintage.  I'd like sometime to have a version that does both 308 and 507 functions in one mic (508??) on a switch.  But one step at a time!

Contrary to some posts in this thread, the 507 is much more than a capsule.  Its a unique blend of tweaks in the amplifier, the custom transformer, the head grille shape, wire, power supply, etc, etc.   Saying its all about the capsule (like you hear people say its all about the tube) sells the whole project short.  This is a "build the best on all fronts" effort.  In that regard, its much the same thing we asked Klaus to do with the KHE.  Turn smart people loose, great things happen.

Brad  
TransAudio Group Inc
High End Pro Audio Import and Export
http://www.transaudiogroup.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 06:33:17 PM »

Brad is right.  David is using a custom AMI/TAB transformer, as well as a custom transformer coupling cap, that both have a tremendous effect on the sound of this mic.  I've never heard anything like this mic.
studio info

brett

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »

For $6400.00 it better be special!

J.J. Blair

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 05:43:35 PM »

Call David and demo one.  You'll be blown away.  It's a modern classic, like the KHE ... which was $10,000 new, btw.
studio info

mullard

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 07:33:40 AM »

It is exciting mic indeed.
In midrange it opens voice and somehow adds space in way unusual for other high quality mics. I dare to say that mic somehow sounds less true, but in pleasant way.
Actually it reminds me slightly to sound of good clean mic (like Brauner) that goes through slightly enhancing type of tube preamps.
Question is how it will sound in mixes, with other instruments and after processing.
I would not call it 'king' so far, as it would need lot of time to overtrone any of 'classic' heavyweighters.

VM1KHE or best ELAM251 (well, both way costlier options) will hardly become less in demand or more affordable with advent of 507, but I can understand excitement of people who tried it.

masaki

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 09:55:24 PM »

I have been tracking a lot lately with the 5-zero-7, I purchased it last week.  So far I've tracked 3 different singers, all of whom I've tracked on other mics.  (M149, U99, CAD VX2, C12) so far the 507 sounds bigger and warmer and more complementary to each of the voices.  I'm not saying this as a a/b comparison to the others... but just that the mic sounds wonderful on all 3 singers I used it on.  Congrats to David Bock on a brilliant product.

ratite

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 09:03:58 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 14 June 2009 23:49

I have the review half written. I'm on vacation right now. I may or may not get to it while I'm here.  

Maybe I missed it but did this review come out J.J.?
Richard Horner
Unaffiliated knob twiddler.

"Nietzsche played the piano endlessly in his eleven years of madness.Once,at least,with his elbows."

maarvold

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »

I heard one very briefly at Village a few weeks ago and, if this economy ever comes back to life, it is very near the top of my 'must own' list.  For the record, I was expecting it to feel somewhat U47-like, but it isn't--at least not in the context and the brief time I heard it.  It struck me as, if you put all the 'Big 5' tube mics in a circle, somewhere in the middle ground of that field.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

kats

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »

maarvold wrote on Tue, 20 October 2009 10:50

It struck me as, if you put all the 'Big 5' tube mics in a circle, somewhere in the middle ground of that field.  

Perfect for those who cannot make a decision regarding anything in their life!
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

seedyunderbelly.com

Re: New Bock '5-Zero-7' Microphone
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »

fwiw-  I heard the relation to the 47-- It is its own beast though--  It is fun watching Bock Audio right now-  I for one can not wait to own one-

j

Sean Eldon Qualls

Re: New Bock '5-Zero-7' Microphone
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 08:22:32 PM »

Judging from the mic I heard at AES, on headphones I own (Beyerdynamic DT770's that David had at the booth), I agree with the relation...when you're directly on top of the thing.
Even two inches back is a different sport. What I heard was low frequencies easing off at a more steady/gradual rate (depending on distance) than on a U47...more forgiving. High frequency was also a little more relaxed and sort of sat in the right place. Kissing the grille yielded a similar result to amazing U47's I've encountered, both as an engineer and someone who attempts to sing.

I can't wait to to get one here and am considering owning one. Very pleasant wife, but not so understanding of $6k+ microphones.
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 16 queries.