R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh My God...  (Read 6277 times)

Oh My God...
« on: August 16, 2008, 03:04:42 AM »

I'm not really a saloon person, but...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080815/ts_nm/texas_guns_dc_2

I work in a school system in California.  So you can safely assume for now that I won't be packing a piece in the classroom.

Interesting that they think this will REDUCE school violence.

mgod

Re: Oh My God...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »

That's why they say don't mess with Texas.

Personally, I plan not to. I expect it will be an independent territory by the mid-21st century.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Barry Hufker

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 12:28:59 PM »

"HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Texas school district will let teachers bring guns to class this fall, the district's superintendent said on Friday, in what experts said appeared to be a first in the United States."

To echo Dan, "Don't worry.  This isn't happening in the U.S.  It's happening in Texas."

ktownson

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 03:50:37 PM »

I used to have a teacher in the 7th grade who was a reservist. He left his automatic rifle on the back floorboard in plain view. This would've been '69-70.

I went to a rural high school.  Half the trucks in the student lot had shotguns in the window rack. Lot of guys would go hunting before class. They'd dress their kills in the Ag Center.

We all had pocket knives, too.  Different world.

"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

mgod

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 12:13:12 PM »

Abd I bet you guys didn't use them on each other.

DS

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 01:40:29 PM »

But even that wasn't like a handgun in the classroom.  I just wonder how long it will take before it's used to discipline the kids.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 03:30:51 PM »

You don't have to use the gun to shoot students, just pistol-whip them.

CHANCE

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 06:14:34 PM »

I remember in the 70's playing at The Losers club in Dalas and seeing people wearing dress guns in open view in the club. That was a mind blower for me.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

PookyNMR

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 07:20:43 PM »

A number of schools in my area that were built in the 50s and 60s had shooting ranges in the basement.  Marksmanship was part of the pysical education program.  Many students would bring their own guns to school.

My how times have changed.

Even though I'm a firearm sportsman, I can't support such an initiative. I can appreciate those who want an extra level of defense from a world gone crazy, especially in light of things like the Columbine incident. However, statistically, as soon as more than one gun gets involved, the likelihood someone will get shoot and die rises dramatically.
Nathan Rousu

cerberus

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 02:32:04 PM »

i favor this program to use trusted members of the community for security; as
opposed to  security guards. a school should not look or feel like a prison.

jeff dinces

neilio

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 06:16:38 PM »

mgod wrote on Sat, 16 August 2008 09:26

Personally, I plan not to. I expect it will be an independent territory by the mid-21st century.

DS

yeah ive been saying for a coupla years now, for those who encourage amnesty, and illegal immigration, give 'em texas and florida....

done.

John Ivan

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 08:17:06 PM »

neilio wrote on Mon, 18 August 2008 18:16

mgod wrote on Sat, 16 August 2008 09:26

DS

yeah ive been saying for a coupla years now, for those who encourage amnesty, and illegal immigration, give 'em texas and florida....

done.

O.K... Fine.. But if my kid is going to this School {and he never would}, I want the teachers trained on the level of Law enforcement people, and I want them randomly drug and Alcohol tested... They must also be evaluated by psychotherapist's.

Also, Texas should get NO federal money for their schools. AT ALL.

Ivan............
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Taproot

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »

PookyNMR wrote on Sun, 17 August 2008 17:20

Even though I'm a firearm sportsman, I can't support such an initiative. I can appreciate those who want an extra level of defense from a world gone crazy, especially in light of things like the Columbine incident. However, statistically, as soon as more than one gun gets involved, the likelihood someone will get shoot and die rises dramatically.

Same here. This sounds like a knee-jerk reaction. I can't imagine the school being THAT bad. If so, they need to promptly yank the habitually threatening students out and give them two choices: trade school (w/ good marks) or the military. I think the rest would shape up pretty damn quick.
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

compasspnt

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 11:07:02 AM »

At my senior year High School they had a shooting range in the basement.  We had ROTC class under Sgt. Butts.  Once a week we had to shoot at targets for credit.

mgod

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 19 August 2008 08:07

We had ROTC class under Sgt. Butts.

Those were the days!

We thought they'd never end.

Driving though Texas Tommy Burroughs told me about high school ROTC in Memphis. We had no such thing in NJ.

DS

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 12:59:01 PM »

Taproot wrote on Tue, 19 August 2008 06:25

PookyNMR wrote on Sun, 17 August 2008 17:20

Same here. This sounds like a knee-jerk reaction. I can't imagine the school being THAT bad. If so, they need to promptly yank the habitually threatening students out and give them two choices: trade school (w/ good marks) or the military. I think the rest would shape up pretty damn quick.

The first and usually best way to approach behavior problems is through a relationship with students rooted in compassion.  That's how you make kids feel safe and cared about, so they don't feel a need to threaten others.  That's also part of teaching compassion to them, by modeling it.  You can still be firm, and absolutely you must hold them responsible for their actions, but you do it without being rigid or intimidating, and without making them feel like assholes.

But the people in this article seem to be concerned about school shootings, which for one thing is more likely to come from the victims of bullying than the bullies.  It's also still extremely rare statistically.  But to have guns there -- and not for target practice -- in my opinion is likely to increase the stress among students and increase the likelihood of problems.

As for the bullies themselves, it's a difficult problem.  There are a lot of anti-bully programs out there, but none of them work very well.  And sometimes, yes, I think those kids need to be removed, but the last place I'd want them is in the military.  Habitual bullies are usually disturbed themselves, having disruptive behavior disorders.  Ideally there should be separate school programs for them, with intensive behavior modification programs, funded by special education.  But most most state laws specifically prohibit those kids from getting help.  

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »

I find it facinating that the school board unanimously approved the measure.  The article also says that no parents have objected.  

They must truly want it for their school.  

(Not saying I'd want it for my school, tho')

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.965 seconds with 17 queries.