R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixosaurus drums?  (Read 20469 times)

Mixosaurus drums?
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:50:18 AM »

I found these online today:  http://www.mixosaurus.com

From their website:

Our claim is to give you an authentic rendition of a multitracked drumset in your DAW environment. Authentic to drummers, authentic to mix engineers, authentic to experienced producers - and listeners. Where other drum instruments or libraries combine a multitude of separately sampled drums and cymbals to non-authentic sounding sets, MIXOSAURUS consists of   ONE DRUMKIT   that was set up all together and sampled with authentic ringing, sympathetic vibrations and uncompromising detail to form a giant 122 GB library.

Their clips are the most realistic I've heard, and the only ones that could make me forget I'm listening to a machine.  I like the hi-hats in particular, and that's a first.  Sound On Sound referred to Mixosaurus as the Holy Grail, for what that's worth.  

What concerns me a little is something brought up in another forum, which is that the samples are pre-processed with compression and EQ.  The developer describes this as "basic" as opposed to "heavy" processing, and suggests they are still "very versatile and as tweakable as raw mic signals would be." He also suggests that people download the multichannel audio mixes from their website and play with them.  

I like these drums but I want to hear from more experienced people because ultimately I want to hire a mix engineer, and give that engineer the best tracks I can.  I assumed that would be raw drum sounds, but whatever works is fine with me.

Regarding other libraries, I like the concept of Ocean Way but the cymbals and hats don't do it for me (and God they are bright!).  BFD2 clips don't impress me either.  I do like Addictive Drums.  I already have Larry Seyer and it's OK but I hate the cymbals.

I'm also interested in what others are using.  I don't like to rely on clips but that's mostly what I have to go on.

Thanks for any input.

Rail Jon Rogut

Re: Mixosaurus drums?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:26:20 AM »

You may want to listen to our demos done in BFD:

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html

The Mixosaurus approach is similar to ours and ToonTrack's Superior 2.. where there is tracking EQ/Compression applied...  not final mix processing.  Our samples have "authentic ringing, sympathetic vibrations and uncompromising detail" too  Razz

Rail
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Engineered Drums for BFD & Superior Drummer 2.0

Jim Frazier

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:00:45 AM »

I own MIXOSARUS drums... I also own BFD1, which of course isn't BFD 2, but...

Mixosarus are by far the most realistic samples I have used, and heard, especially the cymbals, and most especially, the hi-hats. And it's not just the samples, but the way the controller info is programmed to make use of these samples.

Your hats can actually groove, because the ability to program performances that mimic a real players stick movements are now finally achievable. Personally, this was never something that was easily accomplished before.

And imo, it's the cymbals, especially the hats, that are the "soul" or the human factor our ears recognize as "real" or "samples".

You can even do totally realistic crescendo cymbal rolls using the cymbal samples themselves, NOT a cymbal roll sample... that's a big deal when you think about it.

Perhaps the only "negative" is the fact that it is ONE drum kit. But the 3 sets of room mics allow such a huge range of perception, it's hard to complain. A few more snares would have been nice though...

And the compression used to record is not "obvious" compression. The drums sound unprocessed to me.

patrick_wilson

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »

Fwiw, I've had great success using BFD2 with Joe Barresi's pack on a MacBook Pro and an E-Sata drive.

JDNelson

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:21:16 PM »

patrick_wilson wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 10:37

Fwiw, I've had great success using BFD2 with Joe Barresi's pack on a MacBook Pro and an E-Sata drive.

How do you rate the hi hat control with your rig, and what e-drum set up are you using?

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 02:40:01 PM »

Rail Jon Rogut wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 02:26

You may want to listen to our demos done in BFD:

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html

The Mixosaurus approach is similar to ours and ToonTrack's Superior 2.. where there is tracking EQ/Compression applied...  not final mix processing.  Our samples have "authentic ringing, sympathetic vibrations and uncompromising detail" too  Razz

Rail

Thanks for that link, Rail.  I can't play 24 bit waves on my laptop but I'll transfer the files to my other computer when I get a chance and give them a serious listen.  Good to know about the processing, too, so I'm probably making too much of it.  

There's some definite marketing lingo in that paragraph I cited, but what strikes me as different about Mixosaurus is that they took ONE drumset and sampled the hell out of it, rather than including several kits with fewer samples.  I can see a case for either method, but variety isn't my first priority and fortunately I do like the kit they're using.  Another difference is that they appear to achieve much of their sound via MIDI programming, which seems not as good, but I guess it's just a matter of using MIDI to switch between samples so maybe it's not as "artificial" as it would appear.  

I'll also point out that despite the little marketing blurbs on their site (which I guess comes with the territory), they seem like an honest group, have great customer service, and they conduct themselves appropriately on forums, which is obviously also true of Rail.  I get put off by some developers, who put down other companies or spam every forum on the internet.

Jim Frazier wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 04:00

I own MIXOSARUS drums... I also own BFD1, which of course isn't BFD 2, but...

Mixosarus are by far the most realistic samples I have used, and heard, especially the cymbals, and most especially, the hi-hats. ...  And imo, it's the cymbals, especially the hats, that are the "soul" or the human factor our ears recognize as "real" or "samples".

I completely agree about the hats and cymbals, which is what appeals to me about the Mixosaurus clips and I'm happy to hear that you're finding this in practice.  What sold me on Larry Seyer was the hats, and they ARE pretty good (if awkward to use) but the cymbals are the reason I'm looking for something else.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »

Good to know, and I'm looking forward to hearing their samples.  So you're happy with the realism of the hats and cymbals on the Platinum Samples?  Just wondering, what is your application for these?  Were they used on the Weezer record or is this just for live use?

MIXOSAURUS

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »

Hello everybody,

thanks for discussing this. Just wanted you to know that I'm here and reading - if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer.

best,
Uwe

CEO - MIXOSAURUS DAW Drums

patrick_wilson

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 06:49:53 PM »

JDNelson wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 11:21

How do you rate the hi hat control with your rig, and what e-drum set up are you using?

I'm using the newest Roland TD-20 and the factory map works fine for the hats.  The big thing was getting away from firewire or usb drives for the samples.  E-sata works great at 128 buffers and even 64 but Logic starts getting weird that low.

Robert, I'm happy with the realism of the hats and cymbals but I'm not asking it to behave 100% like a real hi-hat although if you spend the time you can get very convincing depending on your technique and hardware.  Rail knows everything there is to know about this stuff.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »

Thanks for that, Patrick.

Uwe, thanks for joining us.  And I do have a question for you -- is there any chance you can post a 24-bit version of your "One for All" demo for download, so I can compare it directly with the Platinum Samples clips provided by Rail?

Eik

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 08:01:43 PM »

Why not buy both Platinum and Mixosaurus, and to be really generous, buy Ocean Way drums, too.
That should cover a bit.
Mixosaurus sounds unbeatable on the hats and cymbals, it's worth the price only for that reason.
The limitation is the selection of drums. Platinum and Ocean Way will cover that.
The tricky part will be to arrange it in a performance set up.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 02:36:38 AM »

Enth wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 17:01

Why not buy both Platinum and Mixosaurus, and to be really generous, buy Ocean Way drums, too.

What a great idea!  Just PM me your credit card info, OK?

Uwe, I downloaded your samples online so please ignore the above request.  I guess those clips were only 16 bit but it was enough to get the idea.  Rail, your clips were great but again it comes down to the hats and cymbals for me, and that's where Mixosaurus really shines.

Those Mixosaurus clips were deafening compared to the BFD clips.  I assume that's just how they were mixed?  (Around here we're admonished to keep recording levels low.)  

MIXOSAURUS

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 07:48:34 AM »

Yes, that's the mix - it has compression/limiting on the master channel.

You can check out the raw sounds on the Hard Rock, Shuffle and Jazzy demos which offer to listen to/download all the individual tracks uneffected.

regards,
Uwe

Eik

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 01:52:55 PM »

Robert Shelton wrote on Sat, 16 August 2008 01:36

Enth wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 17:01

What a great idea!  Just PM me your credit card info, OK?

No problem, here it is:
67984215698456782 - 792

And don't be modest!
It's enough for everyone.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 06:13:57 PM »

Well after a couple of days' deliberation, I went with Mixosaurus.  It sounds best to me, and their email support is as good as it gets.  Thanks all.

http://www.palaeos.com/Vertebrates/Units/210Eureptilia/Images/Mixosaurus1.jpg

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 18 queries.