R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $$L 9K power supplies  (Read 2707 times)

sodderboy

$$L 9K power supplies
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:39:55 AM »

Simply a pain to deal with these!  The Omega supply was discontinued a year after this 9K was delivered (2001).  Now the supplies are getting a bit toasty and in need of re-capping and more.

I have an aversion to any "warranty void if seal broken" sticker on things.  Yep, all my mattresses and extension cords still have all the tags on them too!

Are you 9K techs out there popping the cherry, replacing fans, re-capping, and repairing yourselves, or are you swapping with repair vendors for the warranty?

I also have an aversion to the swap or throw-away soceity, especially when breaching a sticker and a fitty cent cap will fix the problem. . .
thanks,
Mike

tomtech

Re: $$L 9K power supplies
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 12:18:04 AM »

I've been opening them up - figure they're well past their warranty anyway  (You can  replace the fan without cracking them open, though).  If a supply goes down, I open it up and see what I can find.  I've fixed four or so that all had the same problem - a bad dual diode (in a TO220 type package) on one of the sub-regulator assemblies.  A one dollar part versus a thousand dollar trade-in! I've only had one that went down real hard - probably 10 or so toasted components.  I replaced them all and it worked for another couple years, then went down hard again.  At this point I traded it in - figure we got our money's worth out of that one.

Another option -  I did a search and found several places online that will service those units for quite a bit less than the cost of a trade-in to SSL.  Haven't tried any of those places yet, but it's good to know there out there!  Smile

Stephen Anderson

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 06:34:45 PM »

I just had this discussion with Bruce Millett (Desk Doctor) yesterday, he's been getting them from SSL, just for expediency.  For a lot of studios, it's not worth saving $1k and losing a day or 2's sessions which would mean more lost income.

tomtech

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 01:34:29 PM »

Fortunately there's enough redundancy in the power supplies that you can lose a module and still power the console. It gives you a some leeway in servicing options when there is no downtime on the books.

sodderboy

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:20:35 AM »

I took the plunge.  Thanks for the moral support, Tom.  It felt so goooood piercing the label and locking-in to the #1 pozi underneath!

Those supplies are DEEP, with all the control circuitry being SMT.  At least I will be able to start a re-fanning program (fans discontinued in 2005, of course) and get the schemos to put a little spares kit together.

They were built semi-custom for SSL, si it will be difficult to get some spare supplies on the DL.  NOS supplies are 3-4K each.
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.