R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for William on bass playing  (Read 7066 times)

wwittman

Re: Question for William on bass playing
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 01:48:15 AM »

Emil "Gus" Gawaziuk wrote on Mon, 28 July 2008 21:51

Something else you may notice is a lot of players seldom use open a, d, or g (standard tuning for simplicity) unless absolutely necessary.

I've heard that axiom, but I have to say I play open strings a LOT.

I tend to choose the note position based on the SOUND it creates except in those instances where speed dictates a fingering.

But there is a big difference in sound between D on the 10th fret of the E string, D on the fifth fret of the A string, and D on the open D string.

Sometimes I'll even use one position for a verse, and another for the chorus, just to give the chorus a different tonal variation.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 01:49:31 AM »

Emil "Gus" Gawaziuk wrote on Mon, 28 July 2008 21:51

Something else you may notice is a lot of players seldom use open a, d, or g (standard tuning for simplicity) unless absolutely necessary.  

Hmm. I do notice that.
However, I use ALL my open strings.
Cello is my first instrument;--open strings can be your friend when you have to shift positions.
Same with bass.
Yes there are times when tone matching is an issue if the part is very exposed, but I find that such huge tone differences between open and closed notes is indicative of a technique/execution issue.

Or, just plain shitty tone.

Ever watch Tony Garnier (Bob Dylan) play bass?
Leonardo Valvassori

maxim

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 01:56:03 AM »

all the tone VARIATION lies within the left hand's fingertips

with open strings, otoh, it's either "on" or "off"...

Emil "Gus" Gawaziuk

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »

That's what I was getting at..... the consistency factor. And, it does help nicely if one is playing in position.  Playing upright, arco, open strings are much more your friend when a position shift is called for in a piece (thinking back, I think it has been approximately 12 years since I played an upright with a bow, and more recently I have had the odd chance to play one pizz in an attempt to learn the finer points of rockabilly style playing)

Ahh, the nuances of such a seemingly simple instrument!  Fun!  Not often the subtleties get discussed.  Always been a rock player, some jazz and classical as well years ago.  Lately, I find myself appreciating motown and other very fluid styles far more often just for the sheer way the parts drive both the melody and the rhythm with ease.  The perspectives in this thread alone have made me examine even my own playing style a lot more, which is never a bad thing.  
Wherever I shall go, that is where I will end up

McAllister

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:27 AM »

Quote:

I've heard that axiom, but I have to say I play open strings a LOT.

I tend to choose the note position based on the SOUND it creates except in those instances where speed dictates a fingering.

But there is a big difference in sound between D on the 10th fret of the E string, D on the fifth fret of the A string, and D on the open D string.

Sometimes I'll even use one position for a verse, and another for the chorus, just to give the chorus a different tonal variation.

Yes. That exactly.

Quote:

True, but you can control a lot of tone with how your fingers pluck the string. Using different parts of the fingers (more meat), to create a softer attack. Makes open strings sound fretted.

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

rankus

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »

As well as where your plucking... further fwd, towards neck, for more bottom, further back for brightness/ more attack... combined with how much "meat" on the plucking fingers there are a TON of tonal variations. (try finger tips vrs. side of fingers, vrs. thumb etc.)

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

wwittman

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »

maxim wrote on Tue, 29 July 2008 01:56

I don't agree

both hands count, just about equally.

it wouldn't be hard to play a pattern two ways and make it hard to tell which one includes the open string and which doesn't.
But as I said, I tend to choose that open string because I WANT that ringier, probably growlier, choice.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

maxim

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »

all right, all right

not ALL the tone comes from the left hand...

Bill_Urick

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 07:38:58 PM »

Anyone ever use a felt pick?
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

maxim

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »

i've used one on a mandolin

i like...

Emil "Gus" Gawaziuk

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 11:16:31 PM »

Nope on bass, once on a guitar.  Nifty sound.  Pick of choice is either orange tortex or green tortex (don't know the thickness, I just go by colors) when necessary, otherwise usually fingers, and usually at the bridge on a PJ pickup equipped bass, or a Jazz bass.   Have a pretty heavy right hand, often I find playing closer to the neck I am beating the strings into the pickups far too often.
Wherever I shall go, that is where I will end up
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.